Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
Starting over sucks. And then Aliens…
What is the LUX Universe about?
Written by American author Jennifer L. Armentrout, The Lux Universe is a young-adult paranormal fantasy franchise comprised of three series (Lux, Arum, and Origin) and three companion books.
The story begins with Katy Swartz, a young woman who moves from Florida to West Virginia right before her senior year and discovers a new hot but arrogant neighbor is, in fact, an alien. Then, things get complicated and dangerous.
The series depicts the conflict between the Luxen, the Arum (two groups of aliens), and Humans, along with Hybrids and Origins. And we have two reading orders!
How to read the LUX books in order?
Reading the LUX Universe Books in Publication Order:
The Lux Series
- Obsidian — When Katy Swartz moved to West Virginia right before her senior year, she had pretty much resigned herself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…until she spotted her hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Unfortunately, they do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks them, he literally freezes time with a wave of his hand. She discovers that Daemon and his sister are aliens and have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities.
- Shadows — The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. And Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence…and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.
- Onyx — The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do, Katy knows she is a goner. So is he. And there’s this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to Katy and he can help, but to do so, she has to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. And Against all common sense, Katy is falling for Daemon. Hard.
- Opal — After everything, Katy is not the same anymore. she is different… And she is not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step she takes with Daemon in discovering the truth puts her in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more she realizes there is no end to what she is capable of.
- Obsession — An Arum novel and adult spin-off of the Lux Series. Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in its grasp. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy. Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something…unnatural. But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret. Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable – breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?
- Origin — Daemon will do anything to get Katy back. After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. And All Katy can do is survive. Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen? Together, they can face anything. But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? And will they even be together?
- Opposition — Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came. She can’t believe Daemon stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred. Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friends from foes, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.
- Oblivion — Tells the story from Daemon’s POV (the digital edition contains Obsidian, Onyx, and Opal from his point of view).
The LUX Origin Series
- The Darkest Star — Seventeen-year-old Evie Dasher knows firsthand the devastating consequences of humanity’s war with the aliens. When she’s caught up in a raid at a notorious club known as one of the few places where humans and the surviving Luxen can mingle freely, she meets Luc, an unnaturally beautiful guy she initially assumes is a Luxen…but he is in fact something much more powerful. Her growing attraction for Luc will lead her deeper and deeper into a world she’d only heard about, a world where everything she thought she knew will be turned on its head…
- The Burning Shadow — There’s a gap in Evie’s memory, lost months of her life, and a lingering sense that something happened, something she can’t remember and nobody is willing to tell her. She needs to find out the truth about who she is—and who she was. But every answer she finds only brings up more questions. Her search for the truth brings her ever closer to Luc, the Origin at the center of it all. And a new threat looms: reports of a flu-like, fatal virus that the government insists is being spread by Luxen. A horrifying illness that changes whoever it touches, spreading panic across a country already at its breaking point.
- The Brightest Night — Evelyn Dasher has learned the truth about who she was and what she is. Hidden within Zone 3, she knows that if she loses control of her dangerous abilities again, she not only puts everyone in the secret community at risk but also the beautiful, deadly inhuman Luc. He will do anything to keep her safe. Lie. Barter. Beg. Kill. But there are truths that not even Luc can prepare for, and as Evie’s abilities evolve, the consequences of everything he’s done turn devastating.
Reading the LUX Universe Books in Chronological Order:
- Oblivion 1.5 — Obsidian in Daemon’s POV
- Oblivion 2.5 — Onyx in Daemon’s POV (only in digital edition)
- Oblivion 3.5 — Opal in Daemon’s POV (only in digital edition)
- The Darkest Star
- The Burning Shadow
- The Brightest Night
If you like our article about the LUX series in order, don’t forget to bookmark it!