A twisted family saga.
What is The Cutler Series about?
Lifetime has found success with adaptations of V.C. Andrews books. After the recent adaptation of The Landry series, with V.C. Andrews’ Ruby Movie Series Event, the channel has announced that it will develop Andrews’ five-part Cutler series for the screen.
Like the Landry series, The Cutler Series is actually not written by V.C. Andrews but by Andrew Neiderman, the ghostwriter hired by her estate to continue to write novels to be published under her name (Virginia Andrews’s name is considered a valuable commercial asset). V.C. Andrews had started writing the first book in the series, and Neiderman finished it.
Published between 1990 and 1993, The Cutler series retraces the dark history of the Cutler, Booth, and Longchamp families. The story begins by telling us the twisted tale of Dawn Longchamp, whose entire world crumbles after the sudden death of her mother.
The Cutler series Books in Order:
- Dawn — Dawn and her older brother Jimmy have a chance for a decent, respectable life, and Dawn’s secret, precious hope to study singing can come true. Philip Cutler, the handsomest boy in school, sets Dawn’s heart on fire. She is deeply devoted to her brooding brother; but with Philip, she imagines a lovely dream of romance… Then Dawn’s mother suddenly dies, and her entire world begins to crumble. After a terrible new shock, she is thrust into a different family and an evil web of unspoken sins. Her sweet innocence lost, humiliated and scorned, Dawn is desperate to find Jimmy again and…strip away the wicked lies that will change all their lives forever!
- Secrets of the Morning — Dawn can hardly believe she’s a student at one of New York City’s best music schools. Now her most precious wish, to become a singer, can come true. But Dawn still dreams about Jimmy, her strong, intense boyfriend, and the love and anguished secrets they share. Then Michael Sutton arrives, a new teacher at the school, a singing star and the most wonderful looking man Dawn has ever seen. Together they create a world of feeling Dawn has never known. In his embrace Dawn awakens to disturbing, unfamiliar desires, and Michael’s promises offer a vision of music and romance forever…until he disappears. Dazed by his cruelty, alone with the bitter fruit of his betrayal, Dawn becomes, once again, a victim of her grandmother’s twisted schemes. Desolate, she clings to the tender hope that Jimmy will return and renew with her their deepest hearts’ dream…
- Twilight’s Child — At last Dawn can create a haven of warmth and love for her beautiful baby girl, Christie, and her darling Jimmy. Dawn is a huge success as the new owner of the Cutler’s Cove hotel…and soon she and Jimmy will be blessed with a child of their own. Yet Dawn cannot quell her forebodings of evil. She can sense Grandmother Cutler’s presence everywhere…can feel her bitter hatred as if the old lady plotted her vengeance from the grave. When Dawn discovers that her brother, Philip, still clings to his mad, shameful passion for her, she is heartstricken. Her spiteful, jealous sister, Clara, is far easier to ignore…until the day Clara’s childish rage explodes into violence, destroying Dawn’s most cherished, precious dream. Then Christie’s father, debonair singing star Michael Sutton, returns. Now, as the heartaches and scandals of the past threaten to engulf her, Dawn must fight for her steadfast Jimmy…for only with Jimmy’s love can she find the rainbow at the end of the storm.
- Midnight Whispers — Happy and innocent, Dawn’s daughter Christie has grown up in the safest, most loving of homes… Then, in one harsh night, Christie’s world is changed forever. She is shocked to discover her Uncle Philip’s unbrotherly love for her mother but even worse is the way he now looks at Christie, his eyes bright with tortured passion. Fleeing to New York City, she finds her real father…a pathetic, helpless has-been. Desperate and heartbroken, she turns to Gavin, who travels with her to The Meadows, the plantation where Christie was born. In Gavin’s arms, in the first, tender moments of true love, Christie finds a refuge from her painful memories. But The Meadows is blighted by its own dark secrets — and all too soon Christie is torn from Gavin’s embrace. Now as black storms of evil gather around her, Christie must struggle to break the cruel bonds of the past…to defy the curse that has haunted Cutler’s Cove for generations….
- Darkest Hour — Prequel to the first book to focus on Dawn’s step-grandmother. Lillian Booth’s world is full of grand parties, of sunshine and promises, as thrilling as the fairy tales Mama spins for her and her little sister, Eugenia. No one, not even her cold, stern Papa and her Bible spouting sister Emily, can crush her spirits — until the day Emily reveals the shattering secret at Lillian’s birth, a secret Mama sadly cannot deny. Still Lillian refuses to believe Emily’s hateful claim that she is evil, a curse…even when sweet, gentle Eugenia loses her fragile hold on life, and Mama retreats further into her fantasies. But when tragedy befalls her best friend, the one boy whose tender heart mirrors her own, Lillian comes to believe Emily’s grim words. Meekly, she endures her penance, finding a strange solace in the endless repetition of prayers in a room stripped of all comforts. Lillian’s heart is torn anew when, in a drunken haze, Papa subjects her to the most brutal degradation. Then Papa loses The Meadows in a card game, and Lillian is faced with a new and terrifying prospect. Arrogant, handsome playboy Bill Cutler will return the plantation — if Lillian will marry him! Now Lillian must leave her girlhood home behind, and make a bold new beginning as the mistress of a hotel called Cutler’s Cove…