Between two Anita Blake books, discover Merry Gentry’ story, Laurell K. Hamilton other heroine.
Who is Merry Gentry?
Meredith NicEssus aka “Merry Gentry” is a faerie princess forced to flee the court of her aunt Andais, the Queen of Air and Darkness and of the Unseelie fae. She turned private investigator in a world where faeries are known to the general public.
Soon, Merry is brought back to the Unseelie Court and given the option to take her aunt’s throne, but only if she can procreate before her sadistic cousin Cel can. She also gets involved in a series of secrets and court intrigues.
Meredith Gentry Books in Order:
- A Kiss of Shadows – Merry Gentry, princess of the high court of Faerie, is posing as a human in Los Angeles, working as a private investigator specializing in supernatural crime. But now the queen’s assassin has been dispatched to fetch her. Suddenly Merry finds herself a pawn in her dreaded aunt’s plans. The job that awaits her: enjoy the constant company of the most beautiful immortal men in the world. The reward: the crown—and the opportunity to continue to live. The penalty for failure: death.
- A Caress of Twilight – After eluding relentless assassination attempts by Prince Cel, her cousin and rival for the Faerie crown, Meredith Gentry has a whole new set of problems. To become queen, she must bear a child before Cel can father one of his own. But havoc lies on the horizon: people are dying in mysterious, frightening ways, and suddenly the very existence of the place known as Faerie is at grave risk.
- Seduced by Moonlight – all began with the chalice. Princess and P.I. Merry dreamed it, and there it was. Now, a strange, dazzling magic courses through her half-mortal half-Sidhe body. But while her guards cherish her, there are those who loathe her and would rather the Unseelie court suffer than have it ruled over by Merry, a mongrel queen. Her enemies grow in number every day…
- A Stroke of Midnight – Merry and the Ravens attend a press conference in the sithen. This is highly unusual as the home of the sidhe is usually off-limits to the human press. However, it is felt that it is more secure than holding the conference elsewhere. This opinion is challenged almost immediately by the deaths of Beatrice, one of the lesser fae, and a human reporter. Merry, assigned to solve the murders by her aunt, Queen Andais, opts to bring in human forensics in the hope that science might be able to succeed where magic has so far failed – and bring a murderer to justice.
- Mistral’s Kiss – Meredith is virtually a prisoner in faerie by her aunt Queen Andais–trapped here with some of the realm’s most beautiful men to serve as bodyguards . . . and lovers. If she can reclaim control of the fey power that once was, there may be hope her reign in faerie. Though shadows of obsession and conspiracy gather, she may survive.
- A Lick of Frost – King Taranis, powerful and vain-glorious ruler of faerie’s Seelie Court, has leveled accusations against Meredith Gentry’s noble guards for a heinous crime. But she knows that Taranis’s charges are baseless, and senses that she is the true target. He tried to kill her when she was a child. Now she fears his intentions are far more terrifying.
- Swallowing Darkness – Bearing an heir has placed Merry halfway to her aunt’s throne, that much closer to her reign over the Unseelie Court–and well ahead of her cousin Cel, in this race. Now she must stay alive to see her children born and claim her place as queen.
- Divine Misdemeanors – As tension continues to mount, Merry refuses the throne of faerie and seeks to create a haven for her unborn children.
- A Shiver of Light – Merry Gentry, full-time princess, learned she was about to have triplets. Now nobles of both courts of faerie are coming to court Merry and her men, at their home in exile in the Western Lands of Los Angeles, because they will do anything to have babies of their own.
Thanks to my friend Carole for writing this guide.