Last Updated 2 years ago.If there’s one X-Men that will not die, it’s Wolverine. He is just too much popular for that, even if they go down that road in the movie universe. Well, in the comics, they also killed Logan but, you know, it’s Marvel! That said, in 2014, there was a big pseudo-crossover event around the death of Wolverine.
What’s the Death of Wolverine?
Like I said, it’s a Marvel Event that lead to the death of the most famous x-man in all the universes, especially ours. There’s a big problem though, Wolverine can’t be killed… or can he? Logan will indeed lose is healing factor, then come the famous death.
There’s a bounty on Wolverine’s head, a price so big his enemies and few assassins can’t pass the chance. The race is on to find Wolverine, but who put out the contract? When Logan discovers that his mystery foe wants him alive, he turns on the offensive. As the hunted becomes the hunter once more, he’s determined to die the way he lived.
The Death of Wolverine Reading Order, follow the guide:
Like a lot of those events, the story started well before we even heard of the main event. If you want the whole story, you need to start with the Wolverine solo series, going back to volume 5 (Marvel Now!).
- Wolverine: Hunting Season – This TPB contains Wolverine (v.5) issues #1 to #6, but you only need to start with issue #5. That said, if you read the collected edition, there’s no need to skip the first 4 issues.
- Wolverine: Killable – This TPB contains Wolverine (v.5) #7 to #13, the end of the volume 5 of the series..
- Wolverine: Three Months to Die #1 – Obviously, you need to read the volume 6 (All-New Marvel Now!). This TPB contains Wolverine (v.6) #1 to #7.
- Wolverine: Three Months to Die #2 – This TPB contains Wolverine (v.6) #8 to #12, and the annual.
II. The Main Event
At that point, we jump into the core story of the event with a special mini-series written by Charles Soule.
- Death of Wolverine – This mini-series is 4-issue long.
III. The aftermath
After the main event, the aftermath. Killing Wolverine is not without consequences, as you might imagine.
- Death of Wolverine: The Weapon X Program – This series explore the fallout of Wolverine’s death with what is left of the Weapon X program. You need to read the first two issues at that point, then you can keep the rest for later, after The Logan Legacy.
This TPB Collects Death of Wolverine: The Weapon X Program issues #1 to #5 and Death of Wolverine: Life After Logan, a one shot that you can read later, after the epilogue in Wolverine and the X-Men.
- Tie-ins – There are some solo issues you can read if you have them, I’m not encouraging you to buy TPBs just to be exhaustive. Storm (vol. 3) issues #4 and #5, then Nightcrawler (vol. 4) #7 and Death of Wolverine: Deadpool & Captain America that you can read after Death of Wolverine: Life After Logan.
- Wolverine and The X-Men, Vol. 2: Death of Wolverine – Issues #10 and #11 formed an epilogue to Wolverine’s death.
- Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy – This is a 7-issues series that talks about the impact of Wolverine’s actions on the heroes that are the most affected by them.
The aftermath is a bit all over the place, it’s a Marvel tradition. When you have finished with all of this, and you want to know what’s to come, it’s time for the Wolverines series (20 issues).