Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
A painting comes to life.
What is the Cape Light series about?
Inspired by the artistic vision of landscape painter Thomas Kinkade (1958-2012), the Cape Light series was created by Anne Canadeo (under the pseudonym Katherine Spencer), introducing us to the quaint town of Cape Light, and those who call it home…
The charming seacoast village of Cape Light is the kind of place where neighbor helps neighbor and people have the time to appreciate God’s blessings every day. Their lives are not without disappointment—even heartbreak. But there’s something special about this town—and the people in it.
“Katherine Spencer” also created and wrote the spin-off series, “Angel Island,” which is set on an island a stone’s skip away from Cape Light…
How to read the Cape Light Series In Order?
- Cape Light – Nestled in New England is the picturesque seaside hamlet of Cape Light, where everyone knows everyone, and folks still care about one another. But Cape Lighters have their share of hidden dreams, desires, and doubts, too. Like Mayor Emily Warwick, who sometimes feels that her job and her identity are inseparable, and her sister and rival, Jessica, who has torn herself away from the big city’s excitement and sophistication to come home and care for their ailing mother. Or Reverend Ben, who counsels and consoles an entire town while coming to grips with his own private sorrows, and Charlie, the owner of the local diner, who isn’t shy about letting the mayor know that he is after her job.
- Home Song – Cape Light’s mayor, Emily Warwick, can’t remember the last time she let herself dream. Her days are consumed by the responsibilities of her job and the incessant demands of her elderly mother. And there’s her younger sister Jessica, who is about to walk down the aisle with a man their mother despises. Emily has two months to bring their mother around, but so far—even with their minister’s support—her plan isn’t working. And it doesn’t help that she’s still mourning the husband she lost and wondering what happened to the baby she gave up for adoption twenty years ago. Sometimes she thinks it would take a miracle to fill the hole in her heart.
- The Gathering Place – Now that the Cape Light election is over, Mayor Emily Warwick can finally focus on her burgeoning relationship with Sara—the daughter she gave up for adoption twenty years ago. Seeing her after all these years has stirred up some conflicting feelings for Emily. While she is grateful to have Sara back in her life, she can’t help but regret their years apart. Typically she would turn to Reverend Ben for guidance, but turmoil within his own family has inspired a crisis of faith for the minister, making him question whether he is qualified to counsel his congregants…
- A New Leaf – Ever since her bitter divorce, single mom Molly Willhoughby has felt disillusioned by matters of the heart. But then she meets newcomer Dr. Matthew Harding, who inspires her to take another look at her life. Matthew is a widower who’s come to Cape Light to make a new start for himself and his teenage daughter. He may be reluctant to risk a new relationship, but he knows if he doesn’t find a way to put the past behind him, he may miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime love. And Matthew and Molly aren’t the only Cape Lighters who must find a way to believe in the possibility of miracles…
- A Christmas Promise – James Cameron, a minister who runs a mission in Central America, has decided to spend the holidays in Cape Light. But when his car collides with another car, a hint of trouble befalls this close-knit community. No one is hurt, but out-of-towner Leigh Baxter is forced to stay in town until her car is fixed. What she doesn’t expect, however, is that the charm of this beautiful seaside hamlet and its citizens will soon win her over—and that she will fall in love with James, who has so generously welcomed her into his life. But will James accept Leigh in his heart once her dark secrets come to light?
- The Christmas Angel – As the spirit of the season spreads through the seaside hamlet of Cape Light, town mayor Emily receives an unexpected and precious Christmas gift: a baby girl tucked away in a decorative cradle set up outside the church, with a note begging whoever discovers the child to take care of her. Emily is granted temporary custody—and realizes that if the mother is not found, she badly wants to keep baby Jane as her own. But the problems and changes an adoption would bring do not sit well with her husband, Dan, who’s already raised children and does not want that responsibility again.
- A Christmas to Remember – As Cape Light dwellers get ready to deck the halls for a Christmas to remember, curmudgeonly Lillian Warwick is confined to bed, injured after a nasty fall. Cared for by her daughters, Emily and Jessica, she lets her thoughts drift back to the holiday season of 1955, when she first met Oliver Warwick, the dashing man who would become her husband. Recounting those romantic early days, she is reminded of a time when she had much to be grateful for-and recognizes the mistakes she’s made since. And to cap off this life-altering season, there just might be a winter wedding on the horizon.
- A Christmas Visitor – Molly knows she’s fortunate, but after raising children who are near adulthood, she is pregnant again. With her own life just taking off she can’t conceal her disappointment—and will have to explore what she truly needs to be happy to recapture her Christmas spirit. Meanwhile, Miranda has found an unconscious man in her orchard, and while she nurses him back to health, an unexpected attraction develops. Can she let uncertainty back in her life again?
- A Christmas Star – With Christmas only a few weeks away, Sam and Jessica Morgan look forward to celebrating the joyous day together. But when they’re awakened by the smoke alarm in the midst of one quiet night, they barely make it outside before their beloved house is engulfed in flames. Meanwhile, single mom Julie Newton and her seven-year-old daughter appear on Jack Sawyer’s doorstep, thanks to bad weather, a broken-down car, and a dead cell phone battery. And though Jack, still mourning the loss of his wife, feels none of the holiday spirit, he can’t turn them away…
- A Wish for Christmas – After serving in Iraq, David has returned home to find that his widowed father has remarried. Jobless and dealing with physical injuries that may never heal, David doesn’t have much Christmas cheer, especially when Christine, his ex-girlfriend, comes to work at his father’s tree farm. Trying not to seem bitter or discouraged is even harder than the physical therapy he must undergo, and David realizes that he not only needs to heal his body but his heart as well.
- On Christmas Eve – With the new found confidence that comes with her nursing career, Lucy realizes she doesn’t need to put up with Charlie’s nonsense anymore. But just as she’s about to call it quits, a lost looking teenager crosses her path. Seeing that the girl is sick and alone, Lucy takes her in despite Charlie’s protests. This can be the thing that makes or breaks their frayed relationship, but right now, Lucy’s main concern is getting the girl’s real story and helping her—if she’ll let Lucy in…
- Christmas Treasures – Reverend Ben has been ignoring his health recently, and it’s finally caught up with him in the form of a heart problem requiring bypass surgery. Since Ben will need six weeks of recuperation and rehab, an interim minister is assigned to the congregation. Reverend Isabel Lawrence is young, yet she has a quiet but steady way of connecting with the members of the church. While most of the congregation was troubled by the absence of Reverend Ben, Isabel has ultimately reassured them with her warmth and understanding.
- A Season of Angels – Adele Morgan has made mistakes in her life. After a serious medical scare, she realizes her greatest regret is that she sat idly by while a petty dispute tore her family apart. She has returned to Cape Light determined to mend broken relations and bring everyone together for the holidays. But Adele’s arrival elicits little delight. Neither Molly Willoughby nor Sam Morgan has time for their grandmother’s plan to reconcile. It will take a miracle to unite Adele’s family. Luckily for Adele, miracles can happen at the Inn at Angel Island.
- Songs of Christmas – It’s the happiest time of year, but the Christmas spirit is lost on Lillian Warwick. Her beloved Ezra’s failing health requires the help of an aide. Estrella Salazar quickly wins Ezra’s admiration, but drives Lillian absolutely crazy. When a brutal storm forces Estrella’s family to take shelter under Lillian’s roof, her humbuggery is pushed to its limits. Amanda Harding, a recent graduate and accomplished musician, reluctantly comes home to Cape Light and hopes to find a seat in a big-city symphony.
- All Is Bright – After some old photos spark Reverend Ben’s memories, he recalls his first Christmas as a young minister in Cape Light, when a prominent church benefactor stood accused of a serious crime, tearing the town apart. Ben had to carry the banner of God’s mercy into the fray—while struggling to prove to everyone, including himself, that he was worthy of his calling. Rachel Anderson has trouble picturing life without her husband. But single dad Ryan Cooper might be just the man to show her there’s such a thing as focusing—and fretting—too much.
- Together for Christmas – As Christmas approaches, Molly Harding and her partner—and best friend—Betty Bowman are swept up in the annual holiday rush at Willoughby’s Fine Food and Catering. With the business on shaky financial ground this year, the stakes are high. Suddenly, Betty must step back from the race to care for her husband, who is recovering from a serious injury. Molly is secretly overwhelmed but can’t bring herself to burden her friend with bad news. But Molly knows that, sooner or later, the truth will come out. Then what? Will her independent, “I can do it” attitude bring ruin to the business that means so much to them? Even more important, will it destroy her close and loving friendship with Betty?
- Because It’s Christmas – Sophie Potter is grateful for so many happy years among her beloved apple trees. But her family insists that she can no longer live alone. So Sophie makes a deal to spend one last Christmas on Potter Orchard. Luckily, her grandson James arrives in time to help her make plans for the best holiday gathering Cape Light has ever seen. James isn’t planning on staying in Cape Light. An aspiring writer, he’s eager for adventure and plans to take off on a trip around the world. But once James meets Zoey Bates, he starts to understand that leaving Cape Light might cost him the greatest adventure of all—falling in love.
- Christmas Blessings – Shortly before the start of the holidays, successful renovation business owner Sam Morgan has an accident on site that leaves him housebound. The timing could not be worse, as his wife, Jessica, just left her job to run an animal rescue shelter on their property. Now, not only are they without two regular incomes, but Sam has to recoup in the middle of a small zoo. His oldest son, Darrell, a senior in college, assures Sam that he can step in and run the business. But Sam is opposed to Darrell leaving college and doubts his son can fill his work boots.
- A Christmas Secret – Martin Nightingale was no stranger to Cape Light. He spent many happy summers there as a boy. Now, he’s returned to fulfill the unusual terms of his grandfather’s will. In order to collect his inheritance, Martin must spread joy throughout the town with anonymous gifts. A shy man who doesn’t make friends easily, Martin is stumped by the role of Secret Santa. But a pretty police officer, Louisa Tully shows him that, “A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met yet.”
- When Christmas Comes – Liza Merritt is grateful for the many blessings in her life when she returns to Angel Island with her family to celebrate Thanksgiving. Most of all, she’s looking forward to a reunion with her dear friend, Claire North. Claire seems untouched by the years she’s spent faithfully watching over Liza’s inn. Still, it is troubling to see that the hotel is no longer the sparkling jewel it once was. It’s a hard truth to face, but big decisions must be made. Is this the last Christmas they will all be together?
- One Bright Christmas – When Lauren Willoughby returns to Cape Light for the holidays, she’s hardly feeling festive. Although her family views her as a sharp, successful New York attorney, she’s come home to heal from a bad breakup and a career setback. While freelancing for a local law firm, Lauren meets Cole McGuire, a widower, and a single father, as difficult to deal with as he is attractive. His sweet daughter Phoebe is instantly drawn to Lauren’s whimsical side, and Cole’s reserve is soon worn down by her straight-talking charm. Lauren knows she’s falling hard for this handsome, enigmatic man and his adorable little girl, but worries that the attachment can only lead to heartache.
The Angel Island Series
The Angel Island Series was launched in 2010, before Cape Light’s “On Christmas Eve.” The series can be read without previous knowledge of Cape Light.
- The Inn at Angel Island – Liza Martin arrives on Angel Island eager to sell off the rundown inn she inherited and return to her busy life in Boston. Back home await her unstable career as an advertising executive—and a broken marriage. Angel Island is just one more burden… But as Liza recalls the golden summers of her childhood, she begins to second-guess herself. And she wants to know more about Daniel Merritt, the charming handyman who’s helping repair the inn, but Liza doesn’t have time for romance…or much else.
- The Wedding Promise – The inn is open for business, and owner Liza Martin has booked her first event—a wedding—even though renovations aren’t completed. This brings more of attractive handyman Daniel Merritt into her life, but as Liza starts falling for him, she learns that Daniel is a man with secrets. Liza doesn’t have time to dwell on her love life with all the wedding preparations taking place. She wants to make the event perfect, but the growing tension between the couple worries her.
- A Wandering Heart – A movie crew arrives to shoot a film in Cape Light, and Angel Island provides a perfect backdrop. Liza’s inn welcomes the cast and crew, including the famous actress Charlotte Miller. Charlotte is surprisingly down to earth and is totally charmed by the island, especially the inn, where she chooses to stay instead of at more lavish accommodations. But one day, Charlotte nearly drowns and is saved by local fisherman Colin Doyle. Their attraction is instant and undeniable—even though they come from completely different worlds.
- The Way Home – Claire North understands how Angel Island sets the rhythm for her own serenity and ease. But a visitor has disturbed her peaceful heart. She knew him as a troubled boy who came to her soup kitchen in Boston, full of half-truths but brimming with trust. She wasn’t able to say good-bye to him then. Now, miraculously, a second chance to help him has come. Jamie Carter, now a young man, is more in need of Claire’s wisdom than ever. But when she suspects he is back to his old ways, her faith is truly put to the test…
- Harbor of the Heart – Liza Martin and Daniel Merritt are closer than ever. She alone knows that he gave up his medical practice because he blamed himself for endangering a patient. But she is completely shocked to hear that Daniel is now considering returning to a medical career…which may mean leaving Angel Island—and Liza.
If you like our article about the Cape Light book order, don’t forget to bookmark it!
This article was last updated on May 26, 2023.