Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
All of C.J. Box’s Books in Order!
Who is C.J. Box?
Charles James Box Jr.–aka C.J. Box–is the bestselling author of the Joe Pickett series, but also of the Cassie Dewell series. At that point, he has written about thirty books, most of them taking place in Wyoming.
Not surprising as Box is a Wyoming native, and still lives there, and has worked as a ranch hand, surveyor, fishing guide, a small-town newspaper reporter, and editor, and he owned an international tourism marketing firm with his wife Laurie.
Joe Pickett is now a TV show on Spectrum (a cable television service in the U.S.) featuring actor Michael Dorman in the title role. Cassie Dewell is also on the small screen, her series is being adapted into the television drama series Big Sky on the ABC network with Kylie Bunbury playing Cassie next to Katheryn Winnick.
How to read C.J. Box’s Books in Order?
The Joe Pickett Series
C.J. Box’s Joe Pickett is the new game warden in Twelve Sleep, Wyoming, a town where nearly everyone hunts, and the game warden – especially one like Joe who won’t take bribes or look the other way – is far from popular.
He’s taken on environmental terrorists, rogue federal land managers, animal mutilators, crazed cowboy hitmen, corrupt bureaucrats, homicidal animal rights advocates, and violent dysfunctional families.
For more information, go to the dedicated Joe Pickett Books in Order page.
- Open Season (2001)
- Savage Run (2002)
- Winterkill (2003)
- Dull Knife (short story) – Collected in Shots Fired.
- Trophy Hunt (2004)
- Out of Range (2005)
- In Plain Sight (2006)
- Free Fire (2007)
- Blood Trail (2008)
- Below Zero (2009)
- Nowhere To Run (2010)
- The Master Falconer (short story) – Collected in Shots Fired.
- Cold Wind (2011)
- Force Of Nature (2012)
- Breaking Point (2013)
- Stone Cold (2014)
- Endangered (2015)
- Off The Grid (2016)
- Vicious Circle (2017)
- The Disappeared (2018)
- Honor & … (short story) – It features Box’s character Joe Pickett and Sandra Brown’s character Lee Coburn from her novel Lethal.
- Wolf Pack (2019)
- Long Range (2020)
- Dark Sky (2021)
- Shadows Reel (2022)
- Storm Watch (2023)
The Cassie Dewell Series
Everything begins with Cody Hoyt, a police investigator who introduces us to his former partner, Cassie Dewell. Together, they are at the center of what was called the Highway Quartet, a C.J. Box mystery series set against the majestic backdrop of the American West.
But now, Cassie works alone, tracking a serial killer or leading other kinds of difficult investigations.
For more information, go to the dedicated to CJ Box’s Cassie Dewell Books in Order page.
- Back of Beyond (2011) – Not with Cassie Dewell, this book features Cody Hoyt. Cassie will become his partner in The Highway.
- The Highway (2013) – Introduction of Cassie Dewell.
- Badlands (2015)
- Paradise Valley (2017)
- The Bitterroots (2019)
- Treasure State (2022)
Other novels by C.J. Box
- Blue Heaven (2008) – A twelve-year-old girl and her younger brother are on the run in the Idaho woods, pursued by four men they have just watched commit murder―four men who know exactly who William and Annie are. And where their mother lives. Retired policemen from Los Angeles, the killers easily persuade the local sheriff to let them lead the search for the missing children. Now there’s nowhere left for William and Annie to hide…and no one they can trust. Until they meet Jess Rawlins.
- Three Weeks to Say Goodbye (2009) – Jack and Melissa McGuane have spent years trying to have a baby. Finally their dream has come true with the adoption of their daughter, Angelina. But nine months after bringing her home, they receive a devastating phone call… Angelina’s birth father, a teenager, never signed away his parental rights―and he wants her back. Worse, his father, a powerful Denver judge, will use every trick in the book to make sure it happens. A horrifying game of intimidation and double crosses begins that quickly becomes a death spiral where everyone is suspect and no one is safe…
- Pronghorns of the Third Reich (2014) – Lyle and Juan wait outside the lawyer’s house in ski masks, pistols hidden behind their backs. Shortly after dawn, Paul Parker, an aged lawyer, and his old dog step into the cold. The thugs kill the dog, and take the lawyer hostage. Parker’s day has started badly and is going to get much worse. Once a fine lawyer, Parker’s enthusiasm has slipped with age, and criminals like Lyle are part of the reason for his disillusionment. Years after they last saw each other in court, Lyle is convinced that Parker owes him something. At gunpoint, Lyle and Juan make Parker lead them to the old Angler ranch, to open up a hidden library whose volumes hold the secret to forgotten riches, and the strangest war profiteering scheme to ever come out of the Great Plains.
If you don’t want to miss a new book by C.J. Box, don’t forget to bookmark this article!
This article was last updated on April 25, 2023.