Written by American author Charlaine Harris (and seen on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel), the Aurora Teagarden series is a mystery series about a librarian who loves true crime stories and solving real crimes.
The story resolves around Aurora “Roe” Teagarden, a librarian and member of the Real Murders Club, a group of 12 enthusiasts who study famous baffling or unsolved crimes in the town of Lawrenceton, Georgia.
How to Read the Aurora Teagarden Series in Order?
Every entry in the Aurora Teagarden book series works as a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one novel to the other.
- Real Murders – Librarian Aurora Teagarden reckons she knows everything about her fellow townsfolk, including which ones share her interest in the darker side of human nature, as she and her friends have formed a club to discuss real-life killings. But fiction soon becomes fact as more and more bodies are discovered, and the similarities between prior murders and those of Aurora’s fellow townsfolk become frighteningly common.
- A Bone to Pick – When librarian Aurora Teagarden becomes the unexpected beneficiary of a colleague’s estate, she stumbles upon the skeleton of a murder victim and sets out to clear the name of her late friend, but the real killer is still watching and waiting nearby.
- Three Bedrooms, One Corpse – An unexpected legacy has given former librarian Aurora “Roe” Teagarden some time on her hands, so she decides to try selling real estate. Her mother, after all, is Lawrenceton’s premier real estate agent, giving Roe a head start on this new career. But at her first house showing, Roe discovers the naked corpse of a rival broker.
- The Julius House – Aurora Teagarden’s new husband, Martin, gives her a house as a wedding gift, but when she finds that its previous inhabitants disappeared, Roe’s suspicions are aroused. As questions about Martin’s past disturb her newfound happiness, Aurora resolves to solve the mystery of the house, and find out the truth about her new husband.
- Dead Over Heels – Detective Sergeant Jack Burns and Aurora Teagarden never got along, and now Jack’s dead body has been dropped from a plane directly into Aurora’s backyard. Murder is personal this time for Aurora – but has she received a message or a gruesome warning?
- Deeply Dead – Short story collected in the anthology “Murder, They Wrote” in which Jessica Fletcher is a visiting author to Aurora Teagarden’s library to do a reading of her last book, but someone has been murdered in the library and Jessica helps Aurora to solve that murder mystery.
- A Fool and His Honey – Aurora Teagarden’s been around long enough to know that when a day starts out with your handyman going crazy in your front yard, it probably won’t get any better. Sure enough, when her husband’s niece shows up unexpectedly, drops off a baby, and disappears, Aurora is overwhelmed. And then the niece’s husband turns up dead, having met his demise at the end of an ax blade.
- Last Scene Alive – A movie company arrives in Lawrenceton. They’ve come to make the film of a book by Aurora Teagarden’s one-time boyfriend Robin Crusoe, a book about their investigation of a series of murders that occurred years before. But when the actress playing Roe is killed, Robin and Roe must join forces again to thwart the killer, unknowing that Roe herself is the next target…
- Poppy Done to Death – Not just any woman in Lawrenceton, Georgia gets to be a member of the Uppity Women Book Club. But Aurora Teagarden’s stepsister-in-law Poppy has finally been invited, only to die on the day she’s to be inducted. Sordid stories of infidelity in Poppy’s marriage point to a rash of suspects, but Aurora’s passion for the truth drives her straight into the path of a killer…
- All the Little Liars – Disaster strikes Lawrenceton: four kids vanish from the school soccer field. Aurora Teagarden’s 15-year-old brother, Phillip, is one of them. When a dead body is found, the local police and sheriff’s department comb the county, and Aurora and her husband begin their own investigation.
- Sleep Like a Baby – One particularly stormy night, Roe wakes to hear her daughter crying and Virginia is nowhere to be found, but she happen upon a body outside…but it isn’t Virginia’s. Now, not only does she have a newborn to care for, Roe also has to contend with a new puzzle – who is this mystery woman dead in their backyard, and what happened to Virginia?
If you like our article about the Aurora Teagarden reading order, don’t forget to bookmark it! You may also be interested in Charlaine Harris’s other works like the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series and the Lily Bard series.