Adventures on Dragaera.
What is the Vlad Taltos series about?
Written by American fantasy and science fiction author Steven Brust, this long-running fantasy series is about a man named Vlad Taltos, an assassin in the magical metropolis of Adrilankha.
Set in the world of Dragaera, the story follows wisecracking Vlad Taltos and his jhereg—a dragon-like companion— who share a telepathic link with him. Together, they are deadly and live tumultuous adventures, even when they are the ones who are hunted.
Vlad Taltos Books in Order:
I. In publication order
- Jhereg – Vlad Taltos is a mobster and assassin in the magical metropolis of Adrilankha. A member of the Great House of Jhereg (named for the tiny dragon-like creatures native to Dragaera), Taltos is given the largest contract of his career but the job is even more complicated than he expects.
- Yendi – Vlad Taltos and his Jhereg learn how the love of a good woman can turn a cold-blooded killer into a real mean SOB…. Vlad tells the story of his early days in the House Jhereg, how he found himself in a Jhereg war, and how he fell in love with the wonderful woman, Yendi, who killed him.
- Teckla – Vladimir Taltos is a short-lived, short-statured Easterner (what we would call a human) in a world mostly populated by the long-lived, extremely tall Dragaerans. He is also an assassin and petty crime lord. His lifestyle and career require some difficult moral choices. When his wife Cawti joins an uprising of Easterners and peasant Dragaerans (the Teckla of the title), it causes a severe strain in their marriage, and Vlad begins to question those choices.
- Taltos – When a Dragaeran employee absconds with more than two thousand imperials, Lord Vlad Taltos, must follow him to Dzur Mountain and face Sethra Lavode, a dangerous vampire.
- Phoenix – Verra, Vlad’s patron goddess, hires him to assassinate a king whose country lies outside the Dragaeran Empire, resulting in increased tension between the two places. Meanwhile, the peasant Teckla and the human Easterners persevere in their fight for civil rights.
- Athyra – Vlad Taltos is very good at killing people. That, combined with two faithful companions and a talent for witchcraft, makes him an assassin par excellence. But lately his heart just hasn’t been in his work, so he decides to retire. Unfortunately, old enemies have scores to settle with Vlad. So much for retirement!
- Orca – With the help of his two jhereg, sorceror and former assassin-for-hire Vlad Taltos takes on the corrupt House of the Orca as he sets out to uncover a huge financial scandal.
- Dragon – Vlad Taltos and his smart-mouthed reptile familiar Loiosh find themselves in over their heads when they become caught in the middle of a war between two rival Dragonlords, in a witty fantasy adventure.
- Issola – Teldra wants Vlad Taltos’ help, because Morrolan and Aliera have disappeared, and according to Sethra Lavode, it looks like they may be in the hands of the Jenoine. Does he want to mess with them? The guys who made this place?
- Dzur – Vlad Taltos has always had to keep his wits about him. Long ago, he made a place for himself as a captain of the Jhereg, the noble house that runs the rackets in the great imperial city of Adrilankha. But love, revolution, betrayal, and revenge ensued, and for years now Vlad has been a man on the run, struggling to stay a step ahead of the Jhereg who would kill him without hesitation.
- Jhegaala – Fresh from the collapse of his marriage, and with the criminal Jhereg organization out to eliminate him, Vlad decides to hide out among his relatives in faraway Fenario. All he knows about them is that their family name is Merss and that they live in a papermaking industrial town called Burz. At first Burz isn’t such a bad place, though the paper mill reeks to high heaven. But the longer he stays there, the stranger it becomes…
- Iorich – House Jhereg is still hunting Vlad Taltos. There’s a big price on his head on Draegara City. Then he hears disturbing news. Aliera has been arrested by the Empire on a charge of practicing elder sorcery, a capital crime. It doesn’t make sense. It would be idiotic of Vlad to jump into this situation. Naturally, that’s exactly why he’s going to get completely involved….
- Tiassa – Once, Vlad Taltos knew his trade: he killed people for a living. That skill got him his foothold in House Jhereg, running the rackets for a chunk of urban Adrilankha. Later, things happened that left Vlad a changed man, on the run from the Jhereg and frequently involved in the affairs of Dragonlords, Empresses, and even Jenoine. Far more involved than the average human.
- Hawk – For years, Vlad Taltos has run from one end of the Empire to the other, avoiding the Jhereg assassins who pursue him. Now, finally, he’s back in the imperial capital where his family and friends are. He means to stay there this time. Whatever happens. And whatever it takes.
- Vallista – As long as the Jhereg have a price on his head, Vlad Taltos’s life is…messy. Meanwhile, for years, Vlad’s path has been repeatedly crossed by Devera. Now, Devera has appeared again to lead Vlad into a mysterious, seemingly empty manor overlooking the Great Sea. Inside this structure are corridors that double back on themselves, rooms that look out over other worlds, and – just maybe – answers to some of Vlad’s long-asked questions about his world and his place in it.
The Collected Editions
- The Book of Jhereg – Collects Jhereg, Yendi, and Teckla.
- The Book of Taltos – Collects Taltos and Phoenix.
- The Book of Athyra – Collects Athyra and Orca.
- The Book of Dragon – Collects Dragon and Issola.
- The Book of Dzur – Collects Dzur and Jhegaala.
II. In chronological order
- Jhereg, prologue
- Dragon, main chapters
- Dragon, interludes
- Tiassa , section 1
- Jhereg, main chapters
- Tiassa , section 2
- Tiassa , section 3
If you like Vlad Taltos, you may also want to see our Iron Druid Chronicles reading order, or our guide to Roger Zelazny’s Amber series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.