Jodi Taylor is an English writer of fantasy-historical and romance novels, known for The Chronicles of St Mary’s series, about a group of historians who investigate major historical events.
Jodi Taylor worked for almost 20 years for North Yorkshire County Council, occupying different positions like Facilities Manager for the Library Service. She self-published her first book, Just One Damned Thing After Another, which was then picked up by Accent Press. Soon after that, the book made the USA Today Best-Selling Books list. Since then, Jodi Taylor hasn’t stopped writing and publishing new books, with historians or not.
How to read Jodi Taylor’s Books in Order?
Reading The Chronicles of St Mary’s Series in Order
Behind the seemingly innocuous facade of St. Mary’s Institute of Historical Research, a different kind of academic work is taking place. Just don’t call it ‘time travel’ – these historians ‘investigate major historical events in contemporary time.’ Their aim is to observe and document – to try and find the answers to many of History’s unanswered questions … and not to die in the process. For more details, visit our page dedicated to The Chronicles of St Mary’s.
- The Very First Damned Thing (2015) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- Just One Damned Thing After Another (2013)
- A Symphony of Echoes (2013)
- When a Child is Born (2013) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- Roman Holiday (2014) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- A Second Chance (2014)
- A Trail Through Time (2015)
- Christmas Present (2014) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- No Time Like the Past (2015)
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (2015)
- Ships and Stings and Wedding Rings (2015) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- Lies, Damned Lies, and History (2016)
- The Great St Mary’s Day Out (2016) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- My Name is Markham (2016) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- Desiccated Water (2017) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- And the Rest is History (2017)
- Markham and the Anal Probing (2017) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- A Perfect Storm (2019) – short story collected in The Long and Short of It.
- Christmas Past (2019) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- An Argumentation of Historians (2018)
- The Battersea Barricades (2019) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- The Steam Pump Jump (2018) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- And Now For Something Completely Different (2019) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- Hope for the Best (2019)
- When Did You Last See Your Father? (2019) – short story collected in Long Story Short.
- Why is Nothing Ever Simple? (2019) – short story
- Plan for the Worst (2020)
- St. Mary’s and the Great Toilet Roll Crisis (2020) – short story available on Jodi Taylor’s website.
- The Girl With a Pearl in Her Nose (2020) – short story available on Jodi Taylor’s website.
- The Muse of History (2020) – short story available on Jodi Taylor’s website.
- The Ordeal of the Haunted Room (2020)
- Another Time, Another Place (2021)
- The Toast of Time (2021) – short story
- A Catalogue of Catastrophe (2022)
- The Good, The Bad and The History (2023)
The Time Police Series in Order
The Time Police is a spin-off series of The Chronicles of St Mary’s, taking place later in the time. For more details, go to The Chronicles of St Mary’s reading order.
Reading the Frogmorton Farm Series in Order
- The Nothing Girl (2014) – Known as ‘The Nothing Girl’ because of her severe stutter and chronically low self-confidence, Jenny Dove is only just prevented from ending it all by the sudden appearance of Thomas, a mystical golden horse only she can see. Under his guidance, Jenny unexpectedly acquires a husband – the charming and chaotic Russell Checkland – and for her, nothing will ever be the same again. With over-protective relatives on one hand and the world’s most erratic spouse on the other, Jenny needs to become Someone. And fast!
- Little Donkey (2015) – short story collected in Long Story Short. It’s Christmas and Jenny Checkland is beset with problems. The Vicar has asked to borrow Marilyn the donkey for the nativity play thereby unleashing chaos on the already chaos-laden Frogmorton Farm.
- The Something Girl (2017) – Once again Jenny struggles to stay afloat in the stormy seas of matrimony with her husband, Russell Checkland, together with an unlikely mix of Patagonian Attack Chickens, Jack the Sad Donkey and Mrs Crisp’s mysterious boyfriend. So nothing much is new … except for the mysterious figure dogging Jenny’s steps and who, if she didn’t know better, she would swear was her sinister cousin Christopher, last seen being hurled from the house by her wayward husband. He couldn’t possibly be stupid enough to come back and try again … could he?
- Joy to the World (2020) – short story. It’s Christmas time again and all is not well at Frogmorton Farm. Jenny and Russell’s daughter, Joy, is growing up. Not quickly enough as far as she’s concerned but far too quickly according to Russell. Father and daughter are at odds and suddenly the outlook is very dark indeed. That is until Thomas comes to the rescue. Everyone should have their own giant invisible golden horse . . .
Reading the Elizabeth Cage Series in Order
- White Silence (2017) – Elizabeth Cage is a child when she discovers that there are things in this world that only she can see. But she doesn’t want to see them, and she definitely doesn’t want them to see her. What is a curse to Elizabeth is a gift to others – a very valuable gift they want to control. When her husband dies, Elizabeth’s world descends into a nightmare. But as she tries to piece her life back together, she discovers that not everything is as it seems. Alone in a strange and frightening world, she’s a vulnerable target to forces beyond her control. And she knows that she can’t trust anyone…
- Dark Light (2018) – Betrayed, terrified and alone, Elizabeth Cage has fled her home. With no plan and no friends, she arrives at the picturesque village of Greyston and finds herself involved in an ages-old ceremony that will end in death. And that might be the least of her problems – the Sorensen Institute would very much like to know her whereabouts. And Michael Jones is still out there, somewhere, she hopes. No matter how far and how fast she can run, trouble will always find Elizabeth Cage.
- Long Shadows (2021) – The identity of Elizabeth Cage has always been a mystery. Even she doesn’t know who she is. But someone has suspicions. Someone has played the long game. Someone is about to find out. And it’s not Elizabeth herself.
Writing as Isabella Barclay
- A Bachelor Establishment (2015) – Elinor Bascombe, widowed and tied to an impoverished estate, has learned to ask little of life. With no hope of leaving, the years have passed her by. Lord Ryde, exiled abroad after a scandal, has returned to strip his estate and make a new start in America. A chance encounter changes their plans, plunging Elinor and Lord Ryde into adventure and not a little peril until, finally, they are forced to confront the mystery of what happened on That Night, all those years ago. Are they both so entangled in the riddles of the past that they are about to miss this one last opportunity for future happiness?
If you like our Jodi Taylor reading order, you may also be interested in our guides to the Rivers of London or Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.