Rebecca Bloomwood is the heroine of all the non-minimalist out there…
Who is Rebecca Bloomwood?
Rebecca Jane ‘Becky’ Bloomwood is the main protagonist from the Shopaholic series of novels by British author Sophie Kinsella. She has been portrayed on the big screen in 2009 by by Isla Fisher.
At the beginning of the series, she works as a financial journalist, a job that doesn’t help her makes smart financial choices. Yes, Rebecca has debts and it doesn’t stop her form purchasing new clothes and shoes among other things.
Shopaholic Books in Order :
- Confessions of a Shopaholic – also known as The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic. Rebecca Bloomwood is a financial journalist who spends all day writing articles on how to manage money wisely. Her own method of managing money is to hide her Visa bills under the bed and hope they’ll disappear. Becky just can’t stop shopping. And lately Becky’s been chased by dismal letters from the bank. Will Becky ever take control of her life, find love and regain the use of her credit card?
- Shopaholic Takes Manhattan – also known as Shopaholic Abroad. Rebecca is in pretty good shape – she has a job on morning TV, her bank manager is being nice to her and she has a brilliant new motto: Buy Only What You Need. Which she’s sticking to. Kind of. Then she’s offered a chance to work in New York, and she steps into a kind of whirlwind. Becky’s eyes are so dazzled that she doesn’t realize what else is going on around her – till it all comes crashing down
- Shopaholic Ties the Knot – When her boyfriend Luke proposes to her, she’s blown away with excitement. But that’s where the trouble starts. Her mum wants her to have a family wedding in the garden in Oxshott. Her mother-in-law Elinor offers her a spectacular wedding at the Plaza hotel in New York. As time ticks away, Becky tries on dresses, chooses wedding presents, and hopes that everything will just magically sort itself out. Which does not happen, and soon she’s in trouble…
- Shopaholic on Honeymoon (Short Story) – The new Mr and Mrs Brandon are on honeymoon, and Becky has big plans! They’ve got a whole year to explore the world. Becky is sure it is just the thing that Luke needs – time to unwind. But it soon becomes clear that Luke has different plans entirely. Can Becky help him let go, or will this little disagreement threaten their whole honeymoon?
- Shopaholic & Sister – After the honeymoon, Becky and Luke are ready to come back to England and begin married life properly. But when they arrive, they’re in for a shock as they discover that Becky has a long-lost half sister, Jess, and she is her total opposite.
- Shopaholic & Baby – Becky is pregnant! She couldn’t be more overjoyed–especially since discovering that shopping cures morning sickness. But everything becomes more complicated when she discovers her celebrity obstetrician turns out to be her husband Luke’s glamorous, intellectual ex-girlfriend. Now, Becky’s perfect world starts to crumble.
- Mini Shopaholic – Becky thought motherhood would be a breeze. She discovers quicky that Minnie, her two year old daughter,creates havoc everywhere she goes. On top of that, Becky and Luke are still living with her parents when suddenly there’s a huge financial crisis. This is the moment Becky decides to throw a surprise party for Luke to cheer everyone up. But when costs start to spiral out of control, she must decide whether to accept help from an unexpected source—and therefore run the risk of hurting the person she loves.
- Shopaholic to the Stars – Becky and her two-year-old daughter, Minnie, have relocated to L.A. to join Becky’s husband, Luke, who is there to handle PR for famous actress Sage Seymour. There, she hopes to become a personal stylist, and when that’s happens, she suddenly Becky has everything she’s ever wanted. Or does she?
- Shopaholic to the Rescue – Becky’s father has vanished from Los Angeles on a mysterious quest with the husband of Becky’s best friend, Suze. Becky is on a major rescue mission through the American West to Las Vegas and she knows that she must marshal all her trademark ingenuity to succeed. The result: her most outrageous and daring plan yet!
Thanks to my friend Carole for writing this guide.