It’s not easy to make amends when you were a killer, ask John Milton!
Who is John Milton?
Former British Secret Service agent John Milton considered himself an artisan and his trade was murder. Milton was the man the government sent when everything else has failed. He was ruthless, brilliant, anonymous and, of course, Lethal. But after ten years, he had enough.
Now, John Milton is trying to make amends. He is on the road and troubles find him easily. No surprise some reviewers are describing as “the English Jack Reacher.”
John Milton Books in Order:
a. Prequel short stories
At the moment, there are two prequels short stories. Maybe not the best way to start the series. If you like the novels, you can come back to those.
- 1000 Yards – John Milton is sent into North Korea. With nothing but a sniper rifle, bad intentions and a very particular target, will Milton be able to take on the secret police of the most dangerous failed state on the planet?
- Tarantula – John Milton is sent to Italy to investigate the death of a colleague from Group 15, the secret assassination squad that liquidates those considered to be impediments to the furtherance of British interests. Milton identifies the assassin as a man nicknamed Tarantula. Now Tarantula, and his boss, are entries in Milton’s ledger. And all debts need to be paid.
b. The books
- The Cleaner – After ten years, John Milton has had enough – there’s blood on his hands and he wants out. Trouble is, this job is not one you can just walk away from. He goes on the run, seeking atonement for his sins by helping the people he meets along the way. But his past cannot be easily forgotten and before long it is Milton who is hunted, and not the hunter.
- Saint Death – John Milton has been off the grid for six months. He surfaces in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, and immediately finds himself drawn into a vicious battle with the narco-gangs that control the borderlands. He saves the life of an idealistic young journalist who has been targeted for execution. The only way to keep her safe is to smuggle her into Texas.
- The Driver – John Milton has a job driving a taxi around the streets of San Francisco. He has his anonymity and his solitude. Being invisible has become a comfortable habit. He doesn’t want to be found. But when a girl he drives to a party goes missing, Milton is worried. Especially when two dead bodies are discovered and the police start treating him as their prime suspect.
- Ghosts – When John Milton is arrested following a brawl in a Texas bar, the last person he expected to bail him out was a glamorous operative from the Russian Secret Service. Milton is blackmailed into finding his predecessor as Number One. But she’s a ghost, too, and just as dangerous as him.
- The Sword of God – John Milton treks through the Michigan wilderness into the town of Truth. He finds himself up against a small-town cop who has no idea with whom he is dealing, and no idea how dangerous he is. But Milton is double-crossed and badly injured. Unarmed and alone, he flees into the remote Porcupine Mountains with a posse on his tail.
- Salvation Row – John Milton finds himself in Louisiana with a debt of honor to repay. Isadora Bartholomew, who saved his partner’s life, needs his help. Joel Babineaux, a ruthless property magnate, is out to sink the charity she established to help rebuild the Lower Ninth Ward. Just when Milton thinks he has neutralized Babineaux’s scheming, a dangerous man from his past takes an unhealthy interest in his present.
- Headhunters – John Milton thought he was done with Avi Bachman since he has been incarcerated in Angola, the brutal Louisiana prison. Inmates rarely leave Angola. Milton is in the Australian outback with an old friend and his flirtatious kid sister, looking for a summer’s peace to put his troubled mind to rest. But Bachman has other plans. He thinks that Milton killed his wife, and now he wants revenge.
- The Ninth Step – John Milton is keeping a low profile in London when he meets Eddie Fabian. Fabian confesses that he is considering suicide, and that the reason for his depression was the abuse that he suffered as a child. Milton offers to help, but, before he can, Eddie is found dead in circumstances that Milton considers suspicious. And then events take a turn that no-one could have anticipated…
- The Jungle – After John Milton meets a refugee who lost a sister to people smugglers, he travels through war-torn Libya and the murkiest parts of Italy and France to get the girl back. As enemies watch his every move, Milton confronts a group of Albanian pimps and smugglers so dangerous, they could easily make this mission his last.
- Blackout – John Milton follows a lead to Manila that he hopes will change his life. But he never expected to wake up in an unfamiliar hotel room beside a murder victim. And, unfortunately for him, Milton doesn’t remember a thing about the night before. Thrown into a gruesome Filipino prison, he puts together the clues that led to his betrayal.
- The Alamo – John Milton has finally found a place to escape the bloodshed: off-season Coney Island. No tourists. No special ops. Just peace and quiet. But when a local boy witnesses a grisly murder, Milton can’t resist investigating. Milton uncovers a vicious drug kingpin and a group of crooked cops from a notorious precinct known as “The Alamo.”
- Redeemer – John Milton is in Rio de Janeiro, staying with an old army friend who runs a private security company. When one of the bodyguards doesn’t turn up for work, Milton offers to stand in. The job is routine: take the wife and daughter of an anti-corruption judge to a school recital. What could possibly go wrong?