Launched by Brandon Mull (writer of the Fablehaven series), Spirit Animals is a multi-platform series and children’s series published by Scholastic. Right now, it consists of 19 books: two main series and four special editions. Each book in the series includes a code that unlocks gameplay on spiritanimals.com.
It centers on the fantasy world of Erdas, where every child who comes of age must discover if they have a spirit animal. This rare bond can unlock incredible power. A dark force has risen from the past, and now the fate of Erdas depends on four brave kids…
How to read the Spirit Animals Series in Order?
I. The Spirit Animals Series
- Wild Born – written by Brandon Mull. Enter the world of Erdas, where every child who comes of age must discover if they have a spirit animal, a rare bond between human and beast that bestows great powers to both. A dark force has risen from distant and long-forgotten lands and has begun an onslaught that will ravage the world. Now the fate of Erdas has fallen on the shoulders of four young strangers . . . and on you.
- Hunted – written by Maggie Stiefvater. In the world of Erdas, only a rare few are able to summon a spirit animal in the way Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan have. The bond they share with their animals is a partnership that allows them to access more-than-human abilities. But what if there was another way to create a spirit animal–to force the bond, giving the human partner total control? And what if someone with selfish intensions was offered this gift . . . with a catch?
- Blood Ties – written by Garth Nix & Sean Williams. Erdas is a land of balance. A rare link, the spirit animal bond, bridges the human and animal worlds. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan each have this gift-and the grave responsibility that comes with it. But the Conquerors are trying to destroy this balance. They’re swallowing whole cities in their rush for power-including Meilin’s home. Fed up with waiting and ready to fight, Meilin has set off into enemy territory with her spirit animal, a panda named Jhi. Her friends aren’t far behind . . . but they’re not the only ones. The enemy is everywhere.
- Fire and Ice – written by Shannon Hale. Strange things are happening at the frozen edge of the world. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan have crisscrossed Erdas in their quest to stop the ruthless Conquerors. Only the four of them, supported by the gifts of their legendary spirit animals, have the power to defeat an evil takeover. While chasing down a lead in the cold North, the heroes arrive at a quiet village where not everything is as it seems. Rooting the truth out of this deceptively beautiful place won’t be easy-and the team is already out of time. The Conquerors are right behind them.
- Against the Tide – written by Tui T. Sutherland. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan have traveled across the world, seeking a set of powerful talismans in order to keep them from enemy hands. Throughout their journey, the young heroes have been hounded by pursuers, who always seem to know just where to find them. Now they know why. One of them is a traitor. As they steer the crystal blue waters of this tropical paradise, the team can’t help but suspect each other. There’s a spy in their midst, and before this mission is over, a deadly trap will close around them.
- Rise and Fall – written by Eliot Schrefer. Deep in the desert, there sits a beautiful oasis, ruled by a monarch unlike any other in Erdas. His name is Cabaro, the Great Lion, and he reigns over a kingdom of animals, jealously guarding his golden talisman. No human has ever set foot in the Great Beast’s territory. The journey to his oasis is impossible. As a team, Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan have achieved the impossible before. But now that team is broken — the friends scattered by a devastating betrayal. The young heroes and their spirit animals have already sacrificed much in their quest for the talismans. But with the world crumbling all around them-and a ruthless enemy opposing their every move-their greatest sacrifices are yet to come.
- The Evertree – written by Marie Lu. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan were once ordinary kids. Then they discovered that they had spirit animals-wise and powerful partners who granted them with amazing gifts . . . and a legendary responsibility. Together, the team has journeyed across Erdas, racing to stop a merciless foe. Now that journey is about to end. They must reach a place forgotten by time and face off against an ancient enemy breaking free from his prison. They have just one chance to stop him . . . or the whole world will shatter.
II. The Fall of the Beasts Series
- Immortal Guardians – written by Eliot Schrefer. In the world of Erdas, every child must discover if they will summon a spirit animal, a rare and incredible gift. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan were rare even among those few. They summoned legendary animals–brave guardians who were reborn to protect their world. Now more of these legends are appearing across Erdas, bonded to special children. But a dark force has emerged. Older than memory, it has slept for centuries beneath the surface of the world. With the power to tear away spirit animals, it begins a rampage that will be felt in every corner of Erdas. If the young heroes can’t stop it, the darkness will first consume the spirit animals . . . and then the world.
- Broken Ground – written by Victoria Schwab. Something ancient and evil has awoken from beneath the world of Erdas. Shrouded in shadow and older than memory, just a sliver of its power can destroy with a touch. Even the spirit animal bond, the sacred link between humans and animals that keeps Erdas in balance, is under threat. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan are determined to stop it. Together with their spirit animals, they embark on a desperate journey that takes them deep underground and to the far corners of the world. As friends and allies fall around them, the four have no choice but to push forward and confront this darkness.
- The Return – written by Varian Johnson. Split between two worlds, Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan are four young heroes who are racing to stop an ancient evil. Even the spirit animal bond, the sacred link between humans and animals, is on the brink of destruction. The friends face an enemy with the power to enslave others to its will-and to steal spirit animals away from their rightful partners. With their own allies falling to this darkness, the four must look to their bonds to light the way forward. But one of those lights is about to go out. Briggan, Uraza, Jhi, and Essix. Before their journey is over, one of these legends will be lost.
- The Burning Tide – written by Jonathan Auxier. Long before humans walked the land, it came to Erdas. Wicked, patient, and hungry, it has slept beneath the surface of the world.
Now the Wyrm is awakening. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan are four heroes who are split between worlds, braving separate paths in order to stop this evil. With a strange and unlikely new group of allies behind them, the young guardians have a real chance at saving their home–but they will have to move fast. An ancient trap exists, hidden within the folds of Erdas itself. Though it has the power to end this war for good, the means of starting the trap have been lost. The young heroes only have one shot. They must work with their spirit animals to uncover a secret older than time. If they can’t, then everything will be consumed.
- Heart of the Land – written by Sarah Prineas. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan are young heroes who stopped an unstoppable monster. They are Greencloaks – guardians chosen from every nation of Erdas who fight to protect the world. But in the ashes of this destruction, there are some who ask: Are the Greencloaks to blame? The young heroes are shocked to find themselves on trial, judged by a council of the world’s leaders. Then in the blink of an eye, Erdas’s saviors become wanted fugitives. Someone is trying to frame them as traitors, but why? As the four friends race to uncover this mystery, only one thing is clear: The war is far from over.
- The Wildcat’s Claw – written by Varian Johnson. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan have saved their world from countless threats. They are guardians from across the globe, united by their legendary spirit animals under one banner. But now the young heroes are running for their lives, framed for a crime they didn’t commit. Branded as traitors, the four must uncover the plot against them, all while unraveling the mysteries of a set of powerful relics tied to an ancient secret.
- Stormspeaker – written by Christina Diaz Gonzalez. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan — once Heroes of Erdas — are now wanted fugitives. Framed for a crime they didn’t commit, they’ve been hunted across the globe by the ruthless mercenaries, the Oathbound. The four friends have traveled to the deserts of Nilo seeking answers, along with an ancient and powerful relic that’s connected to the history of their world. There they discover a vast, secret library dedicated to preserving the wisdom of Erdas. But this library houses more than just tomes and scrolls. Guarding this knowledge are their old friends Takoda and Xanthe, along with Kovo the Ape. With the Oathbound following close behind, can the heroes risk branding their friends as traitors?
- The Dragon’s Eye – written by Sarwat Chadda. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan are prisoners. Framed for a crime they didn’t commit, the four young Greencloaks have been captured by the ruthless Oathbound. Rather than facing trial with the rest of their order, the friends and their spirit animals find themselves smuggled to a remote palace. There they discover that the plot against them runs deeper — and is far more sinister — than anyone realized. Someone has been manipulating both the Greencloaks and Erdas’s leaders, all to uncover a powerful relic with the potential to flood the entire world. To stop this conspiracy, the Heroes of Erdas will need absolute faith in their spirit animals. If they fail, all of Erdas will drown.
Spirit Animals: Special Editions
- Tales of the Great Beasts – written by Brandon Mull, Gavin Brown, Nick Eliopulos, Billy Merrel, and Emily Seife. Short stories about the five of the Great Beasts: Kovo, Jhi, Uraza, Briggan, and Essix. It also has an extra story about Ninani, written by Billy Merrell.
- The Book of Shane – written by Nick Eliopulos. Short stories shining a light on one of the most compelling–and dangerous–villains, Shane.
- Tales of the Fallen Beasts – written by Brandon Mull, Gavin Brown, Nick Eliopulos, Billy Merrel, and Emily Seife. Stories about stories stolen legends, and of the young heroes who will stop at nothing to get them back.
- Tale of the Great Beast Ninani – written by Billy Merrell. An extra chapter from Tales of the Great Beasts.
Spirit Animal Book Series in chronological order
- Tales of the Great Beasts
- Tale of the Great Beast Ninani
- The Book of Shane: Venom
- Wild Born
- Blood Ties
- Fire and Ice
- Against the Tide
- Rise and Fall
- The Book of Shane: Vendetta
- The Evertree
- The Book of Shane: Vengeance
- The Book of Shane: Venture
- Tales of the Fallen Beasts
- Immortal Guardians
- Broken Ground
- The Return
- The Burning Tide
- Heart of the Land
- The Wildcat’s Claw
- The Dragon’s Eye