I read somewhere that the last Divergent movie will not be made. I suppose you’ll have to wait for the TV series one day or read the books now.
The story takes place in dystopian society divided into five factions – Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). The citizens are defined by their social and personality-related affiliation in order to removes the threat of anyone exercising independent will.
We follow Beatrice Prior (who changes her name to Tris). She’s an Abnegation-born and Dauntless transfer and must figure out her life as a Divergent, while concealing her true nature, and living with the danger of being killed if it is discovered.
Divergent Books in Order:
- Four: A Divergent Collection – a prequel to the Divergent trilogy. This book collects the fort short stories: The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor. They address Tobias’s backstory and some of the mysterious things going on in the world before Tris chose Dauntless. There is some overlap, so it’s better to read it after the main trilogy.
- Divergent – Beatrice Prior must choose between staying with her Abnegation family and transferring factions. Her choice will shock her community and herself. But the newly christened Tris also has a secret, one she’s determined to keep hidden, because in this world, what makes you different makes you dangerous.
- Insurgent – As war surges in the factions of dystopian Chicago all around her, Tris attempts to save those she loves – and herself – while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
- The World of Divergent: The Path to Allegiant – More of a bonus than a book, this fifty-page add-on includes faction manifestos, a faction quiz, Q&A with Veronica Roth, book playlists, discussion questions, series inspirations, and more. For the hardcore fans.
- Allegiant – Tris and Tobias battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature – and their selves – while facing impossible choices of courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
- We Can Be Mended – This short-story epilogue takes place five years after the events of Allegiant. As Tobias struggles to understand and move past his fears, the world he once knew has changed beyond recognition. Fringe-dwellers, ex-faction members, Bureau dropouts, and migrants now coexist in the rebuilt streets of Chicago.