With Hunger Games, The Maze Runner was the other successful teen dystopia blockbuster series.
What is The Maze Runner about?
Written by american writer James Dashner, The Maze Runner is a young-adult dystopian science-fiction series, comprised of a main trilogy, two prequels and a companion book, published between 2009 and 2016. It has also been adapted into a film trilogy.
The story begins with Thomas, who is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased. Soon, he learned they’re all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow “runners” for a shot at escape.
The Maze Runner Books in Publishing Order:
- The Maze Runner – When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone. Outside the towering stone walls that surround them is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive. Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying. Remember. Survive. Run.
- The Scorch Trials – Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them. There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.
- Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare – Short flashback that occurs between “The Scorch Trials” and “The Death Cure.” You can read it here.
- The Death Cure – WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it’s finally over. The trials are complete, after one final test. What WICKED doesn’t know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what they say. Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. Now He’ll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all.
The two following books are prequels to the main books – The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, and The Death Cure –, it is adviced to read them after, following the publishing order, or risking spoilers for the trilogy.
- The Kill Order – Happens about 15 years before the first Maze Runner book. Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth, killing most of the population. Mark and Trina were there when it happened. They survived. But now a virus is spreading. A virus that fills humans with murderous rage. They’re convinced that there’s a way to save those who are left—if they can stay alive…
- The Fever Code– Follows the events after The Kill Order. Once there was a world’s end. The forests burned, the lakes and rivers dried up, and the oceans swelled. Then came a plague, and fever spread across the globe. Families died, violence reigned, and man killed man. Next came WICKED, who were looking for an answer. And then they found the perfect boy. The boy’s name was Thomas, and Thomas built a maze. This is the story of that boy, Thomas, and how he built a maze that only he could tear down. All will be revealed.
The Maze Runner Books in Chronilogical Order:
It is adviced to read The Maze Runner Series in the order of publication. But here is the chronological order :
Other Books :
- The Maze Runner Files – A companion book to The Maze Runner series. Available on e-book form only. It contains information about the Flare, WICKED and some of the Gladers, and much more.
- Inside the Maze Runner: The Guide to the Glade – A movie companion book to The Maze Runner film. The book includes more than 100 photos from the movie, details about the whole Maze Runner series, and profiles on the characters and actors.