“He’s bloody good, this Rothfuss guy.” — George R. R. Martin
What is The Kingkiller Chronicle about?
The Kingkiller Chronicle is a fantasy series by American Patrick Rothfuss. Presented as an autobiography, it recounts the story of Kvothe, a renowned musician, scholar, and adventurer now living pseudonymously as a rural innkeeper
The plot is divided into two different timelines: the present, in which Kvothe tells the story of his life to a man known as the Chronicler in the Waystone Inn, and Kvothe’s past, which makes up the majority of the first two books. The present-day interludes are in third person from the perspective of multiple characters, while the story of Kvothe’s life is told entirely in the first person from his own perspective.
The Kingkiller Chronicle Books in Order:
I. in Chronological Order
- How Old Holly Came to Be – Short story published in the anthology Unfettered. Takes place centuries before The Name of the Wind. Told from the perspective of a tree.
- The Lightning Tree – Published in the anthology Rogues. Takes place a month before The Name of The Wind and relate a day in Bast’s life in Newarre.
- The Name of the Wind – The tale of the magically gifted young man named Kvothe who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen. The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic.
- The Wise Man’s Fear – Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of his family, and travels into the Fae realm.
- The Slow Regard of Silent Things – Focuses on Auri and her life in The Underthing. It covers seven days during which she is waiting for a visit from Kvothe, and takes place between chapters four and eleven The Wise Man’s Fear.
- The Doors of Stone – The Third and final novel in the Kingkiller Chronicle serie. A release date has not yet been revealed.
II. in Publication Order
- The Name of the Wind
- The Wise Man’s Fear
- How Old Holly Came To Be
- The Lightning Tree
- The Slow Regard of Silent Things
- The Doors of Stone
If you like The Kingkiller Chronicle, you may also want to see The Sword of Truth reading order, or our guide to Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.