What if the Great Library of Alexandria had survived?
What is The Great Library about?
Written by American writer Rachel Caine, The Great Library Book is a five-book series that take place in a dangerous world where The Great Library of Alexandria has survived the test of time. It had formed alliances with other storehouses of knowledge around the world, and emerged as the greatest power ever built.
Now, the Great Library is a presence in every major city, governing the flow of knowledge to the masses. Alchemy allows the Library to deliver the content of the greatest works of history instantly—but the personal ownership of books is expressly forbidden.
The Great Library Books in Order:
- Tigers in the Cage – Available at Wattpad. A prequel short story about the young woman who’d some day become the Obscurist Magnus: Keria Morning.
- Stormcrow – Available at Wattpad. Short story about a young Scholar on his first mission for the Library. Nothing has prepared him for the unexpected danger that he now faces…
- Ink and Bone – Jess Brightwell believes in the value of the Library, but the majority of his knowledge comes from illegal books obtained by his family. When his friend inadvertently commits heresy by creating a device that could change the world, Jess discovers that those who control the Great Library believe knowledge is more valuable than any human life—and soon both heretics and books will burn….
- Paper and Fire – Jess Brightwell has survived his introduction to the sinister, seductive world of the Library, but serving in its army is nothing like he envisioned. Soon, Jess’s home isn’t safe anymore. The Welsh army is coming, London is burning, and Jess must choose between his friends, his family, and the Library, which is willing to sacrifice anything and anyone in the search for ultimate control…
- Ash and Quill – Jess Brightwell and his band of exiles have fled London, only to find themselves imprisoned in Philadelphia, a city led by those who would rather burn books than submit. Their time is running out. To survive, they’ll have to choose to live or die as one, to take the fight to their enemies—and to save the very soul of the Great Library….
- Smoke and Iron – Jess Brightwell has put himself in direct peril, with only his wits and skill to aid him in a game of cat and mouse with the Archivist Magister of the Great Library. With the world catching fire, and words printed on paper the spark that lights rebellion, it falls to smugglers, thieves, and scholars to save a library thousands of years in the making…
- Sword and Pen – The corrupt leadership of the Great Library has fallen. But with the Archivist plotting his return to power, and the Library under siege from outside empires and kingdoms, its future is uncertain. Jess Brightwell and his friends must come together as never before, to forge a new future for the Great Library…or see everything it stood for crumble.