Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
Do you like cozy mysteries, but with magic?
What is the Magical Bakery series about?
Written by American author Bailey Cates, the Magical Bakery Mystery series takes us into a world of pastry, magic, and murder!
The story focuses on Katie Lightfoot who left an Ohio bakery to work with her aunt Lucy and uncle Ben who opened their own bakery in Savannah. Katie discovered that her aunt is a witch and she likes to use actually spells in her recipes.
Katie follows her and joins the witch’s community while cooking and solving crimes. That’s a rich mix!
How to read the Magical Bakery Books in Order?
Each book in the Magical Bakery series is offering a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one book to the other.
- Brownies and Broomsticks – Katie Lightfoot’s tired of loafing around as the assistant manager of an Ohio bakery. So when her aunt Lucy and uncle Ben open a bakery in Savannah’s quaint downtown district and ask Katie to join them, she enthusiastically agrees. While working at the Honeybee Bakery, Katie notices that her aunt is adding mysterious herbs to her recipes. Turns out these herbal enhancements aren’t just tasty—Aunt Lucy is a witch and her recipes are actually spells!
- Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti – As a new witch, Katie Lightfoot is still getting used to casting spells, brewing potions, and mastering her magical powers. But that doesn’t mean she can’t find time to enjoy a picnic with firefighter Declan McCarthy…until she stumbles upon a corpse. The dead man’s tattoo reveals he was a member of a secret society—and it turns out he’s missing an object that was very important to the group.
- Charms and Chocolate Chips – Between brewing magically spiced treats at Honeybee Bakery and volunteering with a local conservation group, Katie Lightfoot barely has time to delve further into her destiny as a witch. But when a fellow volunteer for the conservation group is found dead, Katie’s mystical senses tell her that there’s more to the death than meets the eye. Her suspicions are confirmed when members of her coven are targeted next.
- Some Enchanted Éclair – When Hollywood invades Savannah’s historic district to film a Revolutionary War movie, Katie Lightfoot and her witches’ coven take a break from casting spells for casting calls. One of the witches snags a part as an extra, while Katie’s firefighter boyfriend, Declan, acts as on-set security. After the movie’s “fixer” fires the caterer, the Honeybee Bakery comes to the rescue, working their magic to keep the hungry crew happy. But then someone fixes the fixer—permanently….
- Magic and Macaroons – For Katie Lightfoot, the only way to beat the Savannah summer heat is to whip up some cool treats for the Honeybee Bakery’s patrons. But when a meeting of the spellbook club is interrupted by a stranger collapsing on the floor of her shop, mumbling something about a voodoo talisman, Katie drops everything to begin investigating.
- Spells and Scones – When the bookshop next to the Honeybee Bakery hosts a signing for a Savannah radio celebrity’s new self-help book, Katie Lightfoot is happy to provide some delectable desserts. A big crowd has turned out for the event, curious about the book, but the final chapter comes too soon for the author when she is found dead at the event. The prime suspect is Angie Kissel, a former witch…
- Potions and Pastries – It’s been exactly two years since Katie and her aunt and uncle opened the Honeybee Bakery, where they serve delicious—and bespelled—treats to the good people of Savannah. After a dinner celebrating the bakery’s anniversary, they all take a stroll along the waterfront and meet Aunt Lucy’s friend Orla. The next day, Orla meets with what seems like a terrible accident, but Katie’s witchy intuition tells her it was something more sinister.
- Cookies and Clairvoyance – Hedgewitch Katie Lightfoot is juggling wedding preparations, a visit from her father, and home renovations on top of her long hours at the Honeybee Bakery, where she and her aunt Lucy imbue their yummy cookies and pastries with beneficial magic. But when firefighter Randy Post is accused of murdering a collector of rarities, and his prints are on the statue that was used to kill the man, Katie steps in.
- Witches and Wedding Cake – Katie will be marrying firefighter Declan McCarthy in less than a week, and she’s still finding time to run the Honeybee Bakery, where she infuses sweets and treats with special spells and cheerful charms. But her hope of getting hitched without a hitch is short-lived. When Declan’s family shows up early to enjoy a few extra days in Savannah, his youngest sister finds an unsavory surprise: her ex-husband, dead in a hotel room hours after they argued.
- Spirits and Sourdough – Hedgewitch Katie Lightfoot works at the Honeybee Bakery in Savannah, and she’s always up for investigating her adopted home’s rich supernatural history. That’s why she’s taking a ghost tour for the very first time. But when the psychic tour guide tells Katie that she’s being followed by the ghost of a recently murdered woman, Katie realizes she met the victim earlier that day, just before she died. She knows she must bring the killer to justice.
What should you read if you like Magical Bakery’s novels?
If you like reading Bailey Cates’ Magical Bakery mysteries, you may be interested in the Hannah Swensen series, the Cupcake Bakery Mysteries, the Amish Candy Shop Mysteries…This article was last updated on May 1, 2023.