Andy Weir is an American novelist who studied computer science at UC San Diego, although he did not graduate. He then worked as a programmer for several software companies, including AOL, Palm, MobileIron, and Blizzard, where he worked on the video game Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.
Weir began to write in his twenties and self-published first on his website for years. Following some readers’ requests, he made his book The Martian available on Amazon Kindle, first sold for 99 cents before being approached by a literary agent. He sold the rights of the book to Crown Publishing Group and the book has since been adapted into a film of the same name directed by Ridley Scott in 2015.
How to read Andy Weir’s Books in Order?
Reading Andy Weir’s Novels
- The Martian – Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive. Chances are he won’t have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old “human error” are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn’t ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills-and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit-he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
- Artemis – Jasmine Bashara never signed up to be a hero. She just wanted to get rich. Not crazy, eccentric-billionaire rich, like many of the visitors to her hometown of Artemis, humanity’s first and only lunar colony. Just rich enough to move out of her coffin-sized apartment and eat something better than flavored algae. Rich enough to pay off a debt she’s owed for a long time. The trouble is, engineering the perfect crime is just the start of Jazz’s problems. Because her little heist is about to land her in the middle of a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself.
- Project Hail Mary – Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission-and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish. Except that right now, he doesn’t know that. He can’t even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it. All he knows is that he’s been asleep for a very, very long time. And he’s just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it’s up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery-and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.
Reading Andy Weir’s Graphic Novel
- Cheshire Crossing – Alice, Wendy, and Dorothy team up to save the multiverse, from Wonderland to Neverland and Oz.
Reading Andy Weir’s Short Story
- Randomize – Part of the Forward Collection, a series of short fiction written by six authors. An IT whiz at the Babylon Casino is enlisted to upgrade security for the game of keno and its random-number generator. The new quantum computer system is foolproof. But someone on the inside is no fool. For once the odds may not favor the house-unless human ingenuity isn’t entirely a thing of the past.