Coming from San Francisco’s best-selling writer Juliet Blackwell (the author of the Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series), the Witchcraft Mystery Series is a cozy mystery series with a touch of magic. The story revolves around Lily Ivory, a witch skilled in brewing and botanicals.
She opens a vintage clothing store called Aunt Cora’s Closet in San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury neighborhood, where she makes friends for the first time in her life. But San Francisco is full of supernatural mysteries and human murders. So, when the police need a witch’s take on a strange case, she’s the one called to the scene.
How to read the Witchcraft Mysteries in Order:
Each novel in the Witchcraft Mystery book series offers a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one book to the other.
- Secondhand Spirits – Lily Ivory hopes for a normal life when she opens Aunt Cora’s Closet. With her magical knack for vintage fashion-she can sense vibrations of the past from clothing and jewelry-her store becomes a big hit. But when a client is murdered and children start disappearing from the Bay Area, Lily may be the only one who can unravel the crime.
- A Cast-Off Coven – Students are spooked at the San Francisco School of Fine Arts, and Lily is called in to search for possible paranormal activity. In return, she’s been promised a trunkful of Victorian-era clothes recently discovered in a school storage closet. But Lily finds something else: the body of a wealthy patron of the school.
- Hexes and Hemlines – Lily gets called away from Aunt Cora’s Closet when the police need a witch’s take on a strange case. Malachi Zazi was stabbed to death in his apartment, under a ladder, surrounded by the number thirteen, a broken mirror, and a black cat-superstitions that the victim, as head of a rationalist society, was devoted to discrediting.
- In a Witch’s Wardrobe – Taking a night off, Lily attends a local art deco ball where vintage fashions steal the show. But when a young woman at the event falls under a mysterious sleeping sickness, Lily senses that a curse was placed on the woman’s corsage. Before Lily can solve the woman’s magical ailment, she’s asked to assist in investigating a string of poisonings in the Bay Area Witchcraft community.
- Tarnished and Torn – When Lily arrives at an antique jewelry fair, her bargain sensors go off left and right-but she also picks up a faint vibration of magic. Could the hard-bargaining merchant Griselda be a fellow practitioner? It certainly seems that way when a sudden fire sends panic through the crowd, and Lily discovers Griselda murdered in a way that nods to an old-fashioned witch hunt…
- A Vision in Velvet – As soon as Lily opens the trunk she feels strange vibrations emanating from a mysterious velvet cloak. When she tries it on, Lily sees awful visions from the past. And when the antique dealer who sold her the cape is killed, Lily suspects a supernatural force might be behind his death.
- Spellcasting In Silk – A woman has jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge, and her apparent suicide may be connected to a suspicious botanica in the Mission District. When the police investigate the shop, they ask Lily to look into its mysterious owner, whose granddaughter also appears to be missing. As Lily searches for the truth, she finds herself confronted with a confounding mystery and some very powerful magic…
- A Toxic Trousseau – Even the most skilled sorceress can’t ward off a lawsuit, and Lily is not at her enchanting best with her hands full as the temporary leader of San Francisco’s magical community. So after her potbellied pig Oscar head-butts rival clothier Autumn Jennings, Lily tries to make peace without a costly personal injury case. But any hope of a quiet resolution is shattered when Autumn turns up dead.
- A Magical Match – Lily Ivory and her friends are planning a 1950s-themed brunch to benefit the local women’s shelter. When a figure from her past shows up unannounced, threatening her unless she returns something that belonged to him, Lily’s fiancé, Sailor, steps in to defend her. After the same man is found dead later that day, Sailor is the primary suspect. He swears he’s innocent, but multiple witnesses ID him as the perpetrator of the assault. Lily vows to clear his name…
- Bewitched and Betrothed – When Lily Ivory stumbles on the uniform of a former prisoner from Alcatraz and SFPD inspector Carlos Romero’s cousin is kidnapped, Lily suspects something dangerous has been unleashed on the ghost-ridden island of Alcatraz. She’ll have to sleuth out the culprit. Could recent omens be pointing to the magical threat in her adopted city? If so, she’ll have to line up her allies to change the fate of the Bay Area. Because no matter what, Lily’s determined to celebrate her marriage with her friends by her side-even if it means battling a demonic foe before she can make it to the altar.
- Synchronized Sorcery – Strange things are happening in Lily Ivory’s San Francisco. First, she finds a vintage mermaid costume which dates from the 1939 San Francisco’s Treasure Island World’s Fair-and which gives off distinctly peculiar vibrations. Next, she stumbles upon a dead man in the office of her predecessor, and as the community’s new leader, she feels compelled to track down the culprit.
Don’t forget to bookmark this article to be sure to follow the Witchcraft Mystery Books in Order! And if you like Juliet Blackwell’s series, you may also want to check out our guide to Victoria Laurie’s books or the Magical Bakery series.