By The Writer of The Lady Julia Grey series.
What is the Veronica Speedwell series about?
Written by the American author of historical fiction and historical mysteries Deanna Raybourn, the Veronica Speedwell series, like her Lady Julia Grey series, takes us back to the Victorian era in England.
It follows the intrepid adventuress and sleuth Veronica Speedwell. She’s a natural historian with a specialty in lepidoptery which makes her a butterfly hunter and world traveler who is always up for adventures.
How to read the Veronica Speedwell Books in Order?
Every book in the Veronica Speedwell series works as a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one novel to the other.
- A Curious Beginning – London, 1887. After burying her spinster aunt, orphaned Veronica Speedwell is free to resume her world travels in pursuit of scientific inquiry. But fate has other plans when Veronica thwarts her own attempted abduction with the help of an enigmatic German baron. But before the baron can reveal what he knows of the plot against her, he is found murdered-leaving Veronica on the run from an elusive assailant as wary partners in search of the villainous truth.
- A Perilous Undertaking – At the Curiosity Club, a ladies-only establishment for daring and intrepid women, Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell meets the mysterious Lady Sundridge, who begs her to take on an impossible task-saving society art patron Miles Ramsforth, accused of the brutal murder of his mistress, Artemisia.
- A Treacherous Curse – London, 1888. Stoker, Victoria’s former expedition partner has vanished from an archaeological dig with a priceless diadem unearthed from the newly discovered tomb of an Egyptian princess. Caught in a tangle of conspiracies and threats-and thrust into the public eye by an enterprising new foe-Veronica must separate facts from fantasy to unravel a web of duplicity that threatens to cost Stoker everything…
- A Dangerous Collaboration – Lured by the promise of a rare and elusive butterfly, the intrepid Veronica Speedwell is persuaded by Lord Templeton-Vane, the brother of her colleague Stoker, to pose as his fiancée at a house party on a Cornish isle. But Veronica soon learns that one question hangs over the party: What happened to Rosamund? Determined to discover Rosamund’s fate, Veronica and Stoker match wits with a murderer who has already struck once and will not hesitate to kill again…
- A Murderous Relation – Autumn 1888. Veronica Speedwell and Stoker are asked by Lady Wellingtonia Beauclerk to stop a potential scandal so explosive it threatens to rock the monarchy. London is being terrorized by what would become the most notorious and elusive serial killer in history, Jack the Ripper-and Lady Wellie suspects the Prince Albert Victor may be responsible.
- An Unexpected Peril – January 1889. As the newest member of the Curiosity Club, Veronica Speedwell is excited to put her many skills to good use. As she assembles a memorial exhibition for pioneering mountain climber Alice Baker-Greene, Veronica discovers evidence that the recent death was not a tragic climbing accident but murder. Veronica and her natural historian beau, Stoker, tell the patron of the exhibit, Princess Gisela of Alpenwald, of their findings. With Europe on the verge of war, Gisela’s chancellor, Count von Rechstein, does not want to make waves–and before Veronica and Stoker can figure out their next move, the princess disappears.
- An Impossible Imposter – London, 1889. Veronica Speedwell and her natural historian beau Stoker are summoned by Sir Hugo Montgomerie, head of Special Branch. He has a personal request on behalf of his goddaughter, Euphemia Hathaway. After years of traveling the world, her eldest brother, Jonathan, heir to Hathaway Hall, was believed to have been killed in the catastrophic eruption of Krakatoa a few years before. But now a man matching Jonathan’s description and carrying his possessions has arrived at Hathaway Hall with no memory of his identity or where he has been. Could this man truly be Jonathan, back from the dead? Or is he a devious impostor, determined to gain ownership over the family’s most valuable possessions-a legendary parure of priceless Rajasthani jewels? It’s a delicate situation, and Veronica is Sir Hugo’s only hope.
- A Sinister Revenge – Tiberius has received a cryptic message-along with the obituaries of two recently deceased members of his old group of friends, the Seven Sinners-that he too should get his affairs in order. Realizing he is in grave danger but not knowing why, he plans a reunion party for the remaining Sinners at his family estate to lure the killer out while Veronica Speedwell and Stoker investigate.
If you like our article about the Veronica Speedwell series in order, don’t forget to bookmark it! Also, you may also want to see our Lady Darby reading order, or our guide to Rhys Bowen’s Molly Murphy series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.