Even Vampires and their friends must go to school…
What is the Vampire Academy series about?
Vampire Academy is a series of young adult paranormal romance novels by American author Richelle Mead.
There are two races of vampires: One, the Moroi, are alive and wield elemental magical. The other, the Strigoi, are undead and evil-feeding on the innocent to survive.
The story follows Rose Hathaway-a half-vampire with poor impulse control-who is training to be a bodyguard for a Moroi princess. Learning to decapitate and stake is hard enough, but Rose’s real danger may lie in an illicit romance with one of her instructors…
How to read the Vampire Academy Books in Order?
- Vampire Academy – St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school-it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s-the very place where they’re most in danger… Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi-the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires-make Lissa one of them forever. Also: Vampire Academy 10th Anniversary Edition contains four short stories, including The Meeting, a scene from the first book, as told from Dimitri’s point of view.
- Frostbite – It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy is crawling with Guardians-including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory. But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price…
- Shadow Kiss – It’s springtime at St. Vladimir’s Academy, and Rose Hathaway is this close to graduation. Since Mason’s death, Rose hasn’t been feeling quite right. She has dark flashbacks in the middle of practice, can’t concentrate in class, and has terrifying dreams about Lissa. But Rose has an even bigger secret… She’s in love with Dimitri. Then Strigoi target the academy, and Dimitri is taken. Rose must protect Lissa at all costs, but keeping her best friend safe could mean losing Dimitri…
- Blood Promise – The recent Strigoi attack at St. Vladimir’s Academy was the deadliest ever in the school’s history, claiming the lives of Moroi students, teachers, and guardians alike. Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them, including Dimitri. He’d rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago. But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the person she loves most?
- Spirit Bound – After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri’s birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir’s-and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can’t wait for their real lives beyond the Academy’s iron gates to begin. But Rose’s heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he’s out there, somewhere. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. And this time he won’t rest until Rose joins him… forever.
- Last Sacrifice – The Queen is dead and the Moroi world will never be the same. Now, with Rose awaiting wrongful execution and Lissa in a deadly struggle for the royal throne, the girls find themselves forced to rely upon enemies and to question those they thought they could trust…
- Homecoming – Short story available on Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction. It that takes place after the events of Last Sacrifice, Rose and Dimitri are going back to Russia to see Dimitri’s family, something that both of them sorely need.
Bonus: Vampire Academy: The Ultimate Guide – official guide to the series with pages on the history of St. Vladimir’s Academy, the dark psychology behind Rose and Lissa’s spirit bond, and more illicit secrets about Moroi society.
Bloodlines Books in Order:
A Spin-off, Bloodlines takes place after the events of the Vampire Academy series. The story centers around Sydney the Alchemist, a human teen who’s part of a group to keep the existence of vampires secret from the world. Sydney’s spent her entire life being taught that vampires and dhampirs are evil and unnatural, but all that’s about to change when she’s forced into hiding with Jill, Adrian, and Eddie…
- Adrian’s Lost Chapter – When Richelle first sat down to write Bloodlines each chapter was narrated by a different character. This is Adrian’s lost story. Available online.
- Bloodlines – Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets-and human lives. When Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi Princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California.
- The Golden Lily – Alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi Princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school. The students-children of the wealthy and powerful-carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought. When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world apart, Sydney’s loyalties are suddenly tested more than ever before. She wonders how she’s supposed to strike a balance between the principles and dogmas she’s been taught, and what her instincts are now telling her.
- The Indigo Spell – In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch-a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought.
- The Fiery Heart – After making the shocking decision that changed her whole life, Sydney still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there’s still so much she must keep secret. Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her powerful magical ability to destroy everything about the way of life she was raised to defend.
- Silver Shadows – In the aftermath of an event that ripped their world apart, Sydney and Adrian now struggle to pick up the pieces and find their way back to each other. But first, they have to survive. For Sydney, trapped and surrounded by adversaries, life becomes a daily struggle to hold on to her identity and the memories of those she loves. Meanwhile, Adrian clings to hope in the face of those who tell him Sydney is a lost cause, but the battle proves daunting as old demons and new temptations begin to seize hold of him…
- The Ruby Circle – After their secret romance is exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi. When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world.
If you like our article about the Vampire Academy series in order, don’t forget to bookmark it!