It’s not easy being a witch.
What is The Worst Witch about?
Written by english writer Jill Murphy, The Worst Witch is a children’s book series about Mildred Hubble, a good-hearted, but bungling young witch-in-training, who never seems to get anything right. The eight volumes cover Mildred´s first four years at Cackle´s Academy.
As a very popular book series for children, The Worst Witch have been adapted multiple times: the first time in 1986 as a television film, then a TV show aired from 1998 and 2001. And two spin-offs, Weirdsister College, aired in 2001, and The New Worst Witch, followed, in 2001 and 2005. A new adaptation premiered in 2017.
The Worst Witch Books in Order:
- The Worst Witch — Mildred Hubble is a trainee witch at Miss Cackle’s Academy, and she’s making an awful mess of it. She’s always getting her spells wrong and she can’t even ride a broomstick without crashing it. Will she ever make a real witch?
- The Worst Witch Strikes Again — Mildred is put in charge of the new girl Enid Nightshade with disastrous results, and Ethel gets up to her mean tricks again at Miss Cackle’s birthday celebration.
- A Bad Spell For The Worst Witch — Mildred’s good intentions in the second year are upset when she finds that Miss Hardbroom is to be her form teacher again. She clashes once again with Ethel who turns her into a frog, whilst later on she rescues an enchanted magician.
- The Worst Witch All At Sea — Loveable but accident-prone Mildred Hubble is possibly the worst witch ever to go to Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches… Mildred is in deep water on the school trip. This title is a story of life at a magical boarding school.
- The Worst Witch Saves The Day — Something is up at Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches: Mildred Hubble’s new form teacher is really weird. Or is she? Investigating isn’t easy, especially when Mildred’s potions go wrong, the class know-it-all insists on being ‘helpful’ and her beloved cat is having a nervous breakdown…
- The Worst Witch To The Rescue — Mildred Hubble has always been the worst witch at Miss Cackle’s Academy, but she knows this term will be different. She’s done the best holiday project ever and she’s sure that her form teacher, the fearsome Miss Hardbroom, will be impressed. Even her arch-enemy, Ethel Hallow, is being friendly! But is it all just too good to be true?
- The Worst Witch and the Wishing Star — Mildred, notoriously the worst witch at Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches, makes a wish on a shooting star – and to her great surprise it comes true! But it also spells trouble. Mildred’s wish-come-true is a small dog but she has to keep him a secret from her friends, and especially the formidable Miss Hardbroom. It’s a disaster waiting to happen… And it does…!
- First Prize for the Worst Witch — Summer term has started at Miss Cackle’s Academy, and somehow the disaster-prone Mildred has made it to Year Four. Even though everyone knows her as the Worst Witch in the School, she’s secretly set her sights on winning the school’s highest honour. Can she stay out of trouble and prove to everyone that even the worst witch can turn her fortunes around? Not if her arch-enemy Ethel Hallow has anything to do with it…