Living in the Zombie Apocalypse.
What is The Walking Dead about?
Created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore (for the first 6 issues), then drawn by Charlie Adlard for the remaining of the series, The Walking Dead is an American post-apocalyptic comic book series published by Image Comics.
It focuses on Rick Grimes, a Kentucky deputy who is shot in the line of duty and awakens from a coma in a zombie apocalypse that has resulted in a state-wide quarantine. After joining with some other survivors, he gradually takes on the role of leader of a community as it struggles to survive the zombie apocalypse.
The Walking Dead Comic Books in Order:
- The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye — Rick Grimes is not prepared for this. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family he must now sort through the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. Collects issues #1-6.
- You can play The Walking Dead: Season One (Telltale) here.
- The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor — Novel. Discover how The Governor became the man he is, and what drove him to such extremes.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us – This volume follows our band of survivors on their tragic journey in search of shelter. Characters live and die as they brave a treacherous landscape littered with packs of the walking dead. Collects issues 7-12.
- You can play The Walking Dead: Season Two (Telltale) here.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 3: Safety Behind Bars — This volume follows our band of survivors as they set up a permanent camp inside a prison. Relationships change, characters die, and our team of survivors learn there’s something far more deadly than zombies out there…each other. Collects issues 13-18.
- The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury — Novel. Lilly Caul relies on the protection of good Samaritans by seeking refuge in a walled-in town once known as Woodbury, Georgia. At first, Woodbury seems like a perfect sanctuary. Squatters barter services for food, people have roofs over their heads, and the barricade expands, growing stronger every day. Best of all, a mysterious self-proclaimed leader named Philip Blake keeps the citizens in line. But Lilly begins to suspect that all is not as it seems.
- Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead: Typhoon — Novel. Three different people in China—a rural farmer, an urban military veteran, and an American student—are caught in the typhoon of undead as chaos sweeps over the most populous country in Asia.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 4: The Heart’s Desire — Life in the prison starts to get interesting for Rick Grimes and the rest of our survivors. Relationships heat up, fizzle out, and change entirely almost overnight. By the end of this volume, relationships between key characters are radically changed, setting the stage for future events in The Walking Dead. Collects issues #19-24.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 5: The Best Defense — As the survivors settle into their prison home something has drawn them out into the open… out of the prison… out of their sanctuary. This is a major turning point for the over-all story of THE WALKING DEAD and it sets the stage for years to come. Collects issues 25-30.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 6: This Sorrowful Life — Trapped in a town surrounded by madmen, Rick must find a way out or die trying. Meanwhile, back at the prison, the rest of the survivors come to grips with the fact Rick may be dead. Collects issues #31-36.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 7: The Calm Before — Lori’s pregnancy has come to term – the birth is near. After everything they’ve been through, though, can anything prepare Rick and the other survivors for what they are about to experience? Collects issues #37-42.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 8: Made to Suffer — They thought they were safe in the prison. They were wrong. A force far more deadly than the walking dead is at their door and when the dust settles, their rank will be decimated. No one is safe! Collects issues #43-48.
- The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor: Part 1 — Novel. The Governor’s descent into madness finally erupts in a tour de force of action and horror. Beloved characters from the comic book, including Rick, Michonne and Glenn, finally make their entrance onto this nightmarish stage, and fans of The Walking Dead will see these characters in a whole new light. Simmering grudges boil over into unthinkable confrontations, battle lines are drawn, and unexpected twists seal the fates of the innocent and guilty alike.
- The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor: Part 2 — Novel. The Governor’s dark journey reaches its shocking, heartrending conclusion. In a roller coaster finale, war breaks out, all of the plot lines from the previous three novels converge, tensions boil over into unthinkable mayhem, and the dark destinies of those few left standing are sealed in a series of stunning twists.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 9: Here We Remain — In the last volume we learned that no one is safe. Now after the staggering losses they’ve sustained, Rick and Carl are left to pick up the pieces and carry on… knowing that they could join their fallen friends and family at any moment. Collects issues 49-54.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 10: What We Become — Out on their own, danger lurking around every corner, our ragged band of survivors tries to live long enough to reach Washington D.C… but at what cost? Collects issues #55-60.
- The Walking Dead: Descent — Novel. After the events of The Fall of the Governor, the beleaguered townspeople of Woodbury save themselves by joining forces with a mysterious religious sect fresh from the wilderness. Led by an enigmatic preacher named Jeremiah, this rogue church group seems tailor made for Woodbury and Lilly’s dream of a democratic, family-friendly future. But things are often not what they seem. Jeremiah and his followers harbor a dark secret, the evidence of which very gradually begins to unravel.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters — No one is safe in the aftermath of the most shocking Walking Dead storyline yet. The remaining survivors continue the road to Washington DC, but not everyone will make it out alive. Collects issues 61-66.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 12: Life Among Them — At long last, the survivors of Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard’s acclaimed post-apocalyptic survival adventure find the hope they’ve longed look for. Can a town not yet ravaged by the horrors unleashed on Earth possibly be all it’s hoped for? Is there a far more sinister secret behind their newfound safe haven? Even worse, can people forever changed by the worst in humanity ever hope to get back to their old selves? The next chapter of the Walking Dead is set to change everything. Collects The Walking Dead #67-72.
- The Walking Dead: Invasion — Novel. Out of the ashes of a devastated Woodbury, Georgia, two opposing camps of ragtag survivors develop – each one on a collision course with the other. The final confrontation between these two human factions unleashes an unthinkable weapon – forged from the monstrous hordes of undead, perfected by a madman, and soaked in the blood of innocents.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 13: Too Far Gone — Life in the community is as near as Rick and his group can ever hope to come to returning to normal life. So why is Rick so on edge? Will his behavior spell doom for everyone else? Will they let it get that far? Collects issues #73-78.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 14: No Way Out — As the Eisner Award winning series continues, no one in The Community is safe from what happens within its walls. Collects issues #79-84
- The Walking Dead: Search and Destroy — Novel. Out of nowhere, a brutal new faction has attacked Woodbury while Lilly and the others have been off repairing the railroad. Now the barricades are burning. Adults have been murdered, children kidnapped. But why? Why subject innocent survivors to such a random, unprovoked assault?
- The Walking Dead Vol. 15: We Find Ourselves — The events of ‘No Way Out’ have affected everyone in the community, and not everyone has survived to pick up the pieces. Rick and the survivors must now try to pick themselves up and carry in the wake of disaster… and by doing so, they find hope. Collects issues #85-90
- The Walking Dead Vol. 16: A Larger World — Rick discovers that there are communities of survivors nearby, and begins to explore a larger world. Collects issues #91-96.
- The Walking Dead: Return to Woodbury — Novel. For Lilly, Woodbury, Georgia, has become a symbol of the future, of family, of a return to normal life amidst this hell on earth. The call is so powerful that Lilly decides to risk everything in order to go back… to reclaim that little oasis in the wilderness.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 17: Something to Fear — In this volume of the NYT bestselling survival horror, Rick and his band of survivors work to build a larger network of thriving communities, and soon discover that Negan’s ‘Saviors’ prove to be a larger threat than they could have fathomed. Crossing Negan will lead to serious, dire consequences for the group; it seems that for the first time since the Governor’s reign of terror that Rick may have Something to Fear. Collects issues 97-102.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 18: What Comes After — Following the events of SOMETHING TO FEAR, Rick and the other survivors accept a new way of life under Negan’s rule, but not everyone agrees. Collects issues #103-108.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 19: March to War — Rick. Ezekiel. Gregory. Negan. Each man holds the fate of their community in their hands… and WAR is on the horizon. Collects issues #109-114.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 20: All Out War (Part One) — The biggest storyline in THE WALKING DEAD history starts here. It’s Rick versus Negan, with a little help from everyone else! Collects issues #115-120.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 21: All Out War (Part Two) — Alexandria has been destroyed. Can Rick rally the other communities against Negan’s army? Collects issues #121-126.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 22: A New Beginning — In the aftermath of ALL OUT WAR we discover…A NEW BEGINNING. Collects issues #127-132.
- You can play The Walking Dead: Michonne here.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 23: Whispers into Screams — The new era of peace and prosperity is interrupted by a new type of enemy. One that travels amongst the walkers. One that will turn whispers of their appearance to screams. Collects issues #133-138.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 24: Life and Death — As the fair opens at Alexandria, old friends return from afar and new adversaries make their introductions. Collects issues #139-144.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 25: No Turning Back — After a devastating act of war by the Whisperers, Rick must chart a path for his community. But when his leadership is questioned, how will he respond? Collects issues 145-150.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 26: Call to Arms — After being betrayed by members of his own community, Rick Grimes charts a new course and marshals his forces against the Whisperers. Collects issues #151-156.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 27: The Whisperer War — The time has come. The forces are aligning. The war has begun! Has Rick brought about the demise of everything he’s built? Or will he triumph once again? Know this…there will be a cost. Collects issues #157-162
- The Walking Dead Vol. 28: A Certain Doom — In the aftermath of The Whisperer War—ALL IS LOST. Collects issues #163-168.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 29: Lines We Cross — Recent events have thrown Alexandria into turmoil, and now Rick, Dwight, Eugene, and Negan all have something to prove.Collects issues #169-174.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 30: New World Order — New friends. New enemies. New threats. It’s a whole new world. Collects issues #175-180.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 31: The Rotten Core — Rick leads the Commonwealth’s Governor, Pamela Milton, on a tour of the various communities Alexandria is aligned with. Naturally… terrible things begin to happen very quickly. Collects issues #181-186.
- The Walking Dead Vol. 32: Rest in Peace — The conflict in the Commonwealth hits a fever pitch… could this be the end of civilization as we’ve come to know it? Collects issues #187-193.
The Walking Dead Hardcovers Editions :
All hardcovers contain the contents of the comics, including the covers, and in some cases bonus material. The books’ trim size is larger than the paperbacks. Each hardcover contains two story arcs from the series.
- The Walking Dead: Book One – Collects issues #1-12.
- The Walking Dead: Book Two – Collects issues #13-24.
- The Walking Dead: Book Three – Collects issues #25-36.
- The Walking Dead: Book Four – Collects issues #37-48.
- The Walking Dead: Book Five – Collects issues #49-60.
- The Walking Dead: Book Six – Collects issues #61-72.
- The Walking Dead: Book Seven – Collects issues #73-84.
- The Walking Dead: Book Eight – Collects issues #85-96.
- The Walking Dead: Book Nine – Collects issues #97-108.
- The Walking Dead: Book Ten – Collects issues #109-120.
- The Walking Dead: Book Eleven – Collects issues #121-132.
- The Walking Dead: Book Twelve – Collects issues #133-144.
- The Walking Dead: Book Thirteen – Collects issues #145-156.
- The Walking Dead: Book Fourteen – Collects issues #157-168.
- The Walking Dead: Book Fifteen – Collects issues #169-180.
- The Walking Dead: Book Sixteen – Collects issues #181-193.
The Walking Dead Omnibus Collections :
Limited omnibus editions collect roughly 24 issues in a slipcase with several extras.
- Omnibus Volume 1 – Collects issues #1-24.
- Omnibus Volume 2 – Collects issues #25-48.
- Omnibus Volume 3 – Collects issues #49-72.
- Omnibus Volume 4 – Collects issues #73-96.
- Omnibus Volume 5 – Collects issues #97-120.
- Omnibus Volume 6 – Collects issues #121-144.
- Omnibus Volume 7 – Collects issues #145-168.
- Omnibus Volume 8 – Collects issues #169-193.
The Walking Dead Compendiums
The Softcover compendium editions collect approximately 48 comic issues each.
- Compendium One – issues #1-48 and the 6-page story from the Image Comics Holiday Special 2005.
- Compendium Two – issues #49-96.
- Compendium Three – issues #97-144.
- Compendium Four – issues #145-193 (Final volume).
- The Walking Dead Survivors’ Guide: Collected Edition – Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the cast of The Walking Dead. The Survivor’s Guide is a handy checklist of all the characters who have appeared in the series thus far, alive or dead. This series is a can’t-miss supplement to the hit comic book series that is now a hit TV series on AMC!
- The Walking Dead: Here’s Negan! – Who is Negan? Since his debut in The Walking Dead #100, the charismatic psychopath has antagonized Rick Grimes, murdered his friend with a baseball bat wrapped in barb wire (which he calls “Lucille”), and led the Saviors into war against Alexandria and the neighboring communities. But who was he before society broke down? That question will be answered here, collecting the “HERE’S NEGAN!” story originally serialized in IMAGE+ magazine.
- The Walking Dead 100 Project – Robert Kirkman and Skybound team up with the Hero Initiative to present 100 all-new covers envisioning the horrors of the bestselling The Walking Dead.
- The Walking Dead: All Out War Artist’s Proof Edition – This special artist’s edition collects the monumental “All Out War” story arc all in one volume ― as seen through artist Charlie Adlard’s raw pencils.