Written by American bestselling author Rachel Caine, The Stillhouse Lake is an adult thriller series about a woman named Gwen Proctor who saw her life destroyed and has to hide from the past.
Gwen Proctor isn’t the name she was born with. She’s changed it to hide herself away from the past. Because the past brings with it a brutal serial killer ex-husband, a suspicion that she got away with murder, and enemies she can’t even begin to count. Gwen is going to protect her kids from that past.
How to read The Stillhouse Lake Series in Order?
Every entry in the Stillhouse Lake book series works as a chapter in Gwen Proctor’s, it’s better to read them in order.
- Stillhouse Lake – Gina Royal is the definition of average-a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor-the ultimate warrior mom. But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake-and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed-or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop.
- Killman Creek – Gwen Proctor won the battle to save her kids from her ex-husband, serial killer Melvin Royal, and his league of psychotic accomplices. But the war isn’t over. Not since Melvin broke out of prison. Her refuge at Stillhouse Lake has become a trap. Gwen leaves her children in the protective custody of a fortified, well-armed neighbor. Now, with the help of Sam Cade, brother of one of Melvin’s victims, Gwen is going hunting.
- Wolfhunter River – Gwen Proctor escaped her serial-killer husband and saved her family. What she can’t seem to outrun is his notoriety. Now, a threatened woman has reached out. Marlene Crockett, from the remote town of Wolfhunter, is panicked for herself and her daughter. When Gwen arrives in the small, isolated rural community, Marlene is already dead-her own daughter blamed for the murder. Except that’s not the person Marlene feared at all. And Gwen isn’t leaving until she finds out who that was.
- Bitter Falls – In spite of a harrowing past still haunting her, Gwen Proctor is trying to move forward. Until a new assignment gives her purpose: the cold-case disappearance of a young man in Tennessee. Three years missing, no clues. Just Ruth Landry, a tortured mother in limbo. Gwen understands what it’s like to worry about your children. Gwen’s investigation unearths new suspects…and victims. As she follows each sinister lead, the implications of the mystery grow more disturbing. Because the closer Gwen gets, the closer she is to a threat that looms back home.
- Heartbreak Bay – A car submerged in a remote pond. The bodies of two girls strapped into their seats. The mystery of their mother, vanished without a trace, leads Gwen Proctor and Kezia Claremont into dangerous territory. Working to solve these vicious and unreasonable crimes will expose them both to a killer they can’t for the life of them see coming.
- Trapper Road (with Carrie Ryan) – Gwen Proctor has always been willing to do anything it takes to protect her kids. But there are some things even she can’t protect them from. When a violent incident at Connor’s school brings the press to Gwen’s doorstep, she agrees to take a case out of town hoping to keep her family out of the crushing media spotlight. The case is that of a missing girl, last seen getting into a truck with a stranger before disappearing. Gwen has a reputation for finding those who are lost, but this time something is wrong. Her instincts are off, and every clue she uncovers only raises more doubts, not just about the missing girl and the circumstances of her disappearance, but also about the fragile safety Gwen’s created for her family.
If you like this Stillhouse Lake reading order, you may also want to see our guide to Rachel Caine’s other series, The Great Library. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.