Last Updated 10 months ago.Would you like fairy tales retelling with a sci-fi/dystopian twist? The Lunar Chronicles is for you!
What is The Lunar Chronicle?
A series of young adult fantasy novels written by American author Marissa Meyer, The Lunar Chronicles are futuristic retellings of classic fairy tales.
The story takes place in a world where earthens, cyborgs, androids, and a race of moon colonists all coexist.
The Lunar Chronicles Published Reading order
More often than not, you can’t go wrong with the published order:
- Cinder – Cinder, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She’s reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s sudden illnesters. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she finds herself at the center of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen – and a dangerous temptation.
- Glitches – Short Story. Collected later in Stars Above.
- Scarlet – Scarlet’s grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other. As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner…
- The Queen’s Army – Short Story. Collected later in Stars Above.
- The Little Android – Short Story. Collected later in Stars Above.
- Cress – Cress grew-up as a prisoner. With only netscreens for company she’s forced to do the bidding of the evil Queen Levana. Now that means tracking down Cinder and her handsome accomplice Emperor Kai. But little does Levana know that those she seeks, and the man she loves, are plotting her downfall…
- Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky – Short Story. Collected later in Stars Above.
- Fairest – Whois Queen Levana? Long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress in The Lunar Chronicles, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told … until now.
- The Princess and the Guard – Short Story. Collected later in Stars Above.
- Winter – Princess Winter is admired for her grace, kindness and beauty, despite the scars on her face. She’s said to be even more breath-taking than her stepmother, Queen Levana… When Winter develops feelings for the handsome palace guard, Jacin, she fears the evil Queen will crush their romance before it has a chance to begin. But there are stirrings against the Queen across the land. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even find the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.
- Stars Above – A collection of nine short stories – five of which have never before been published – set in the world of the Lunar Chronicles.
- Wires and Nerve – graphic novel about Iko, the android with a heart of (mechanized) gold. When rogue packs of wolf-hybrid soldiers threaten the tenuous peace alliance between Earth and Luna, Iko takes it upon herself to hunt down the soldiers’ leader. She is soon working with a handsome royal guard who forces her to question everything she knows about love, loyalty, and her own humanity.
- Wires and Nerve, Volume 2: Gone Rogue – Iko – an audacious android and best friend to the Lunar Queen Cinder – has been tasked with hunting down Alpha Lysander Steele, the leader of a rogue band of bioengineered wolf-soldiers who threaten to undo the tenuous peace agreement between Earth and Luna. Unless Cinder can reverse the mutations that were forced on them years before, Steele and his soldiers plan to satisfy their monstrous appetites with a massacre of the innocent people of Earth.
The Lunar Chronicles Chronological Reading order:
It is not advised to read the series in Chronological order the first time around. Fairest, the prequel, will spoil you a little bit about what’s to come for example. But if you want to have a go at it, here is a possible chronological order:
- Fairest – Prequel to The Lunar Chronicles.
- “The Keeper” – Prequel to The Lunar Chronicles.
- “Glitches” – A prequel to Cinder.
- “The Little Android” – prequel to Cinder who makes a short appareance, but this short story is not directly related to the events in the books.
- “The Mechanic” – prequel to Cinder.
- “The Queen’s Army“– A prequel to Scarlet.
- “Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky” – prequel to Cress.
- “After Sunshine Passes By” – prequel to Cress.
- “The Princess and the Guard” – Prequel to Winter.
- Wires and Nerve’ graphic novels
- “Something Old, Something New” – Epilogue to Winter.
The Lunar Chronicles Chronological Suggested order
Want another reading order, that includes all the novella? This one is suggested by Between Chapters on Youtube based on her own reading to enjoy the story without being spoiled by a novella prequel the first time around.