Written by American author Kim Harrison, The Hollows (also known as The Rachel Morgan series) is an urban fantasy series taking place in an alternate-history universe. After a genetically engineered virus distributed through tomatoes killed a lot of humans but left the Others (aka the Inderlanders) unscathed, the humans are now outnumbered and other species want the power.
At the beginning of the series, Rachel Morgan is a witch and a bounty hunter living in Cincinnati who collaborates with local law enforcement and fights perils both normal and otherworldly in nature. In addition to witches, this is a world populated by vampires, pixies, fairies, werewolves, and demons.
How to read the Hollows Series in Order?
The Rachel Morgan / The Hollows Main Series
- Dead Witch Walking – All the creatures of the night gather in “the Hollows” of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party . . . and to feed. Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining-and it’s Rachel Morgan’s job to keep that world civilized. A bounty hunter and a witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she’ll bring ’em back alive, dead . . . or undead.
- The Good, the Bad, and the Undead – To save herself and her vampire roommate, former bounty hunter Rachel Morgan must confront six feet of sheer supernatural seduction–the vampire master–and dark secrets she’s hidden even from herself.
- Every Which Way But Dead – Witch and former bounty hunter Rachel Morgan has managed to escape her corrupt company, survive living with a vampire, start her own runner service, and face down a vampire master. But there’s a greater evil still. To put the vampire master behind bars and save her family, Rachel made a desperate bargain and now there’s hell to pay–literally. For if Rachel cannot stop him, the archdemon Algaliarept will pull her into the sorcerous ever-after to forfeit her soul as his slave. Forever.
- A Fistful of Charms – An unexpected call for help sends Rachel Morgan out of Cincinnati on a desperate trip to rescue the son of her business partner Jenks. It’s fun at first, even with dealing with a human-sized Jenks, but the road trip quickly turns dangerous when confronting an old love becomes a fight for survival.
- For a Few Demons More – A fiendish serial killer stalks the Hollows, and no one living in or around Cincinnati-human, inhuman, or undead-is safe. An ancient artifact may be the key to stopping the murderer–a mysterious relic that is now in the hands of Rachel Morgan. But revealing it could ignite a battle to the death among the vast and varied local supernatural races. Rachel’s been lucky so far. But even she can’t hide from catastrophe forever.
- The Outlaw Demon Wails – To save the lives of her friends, Rachel Morgan did the unthinkable: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. But there was one person her wits and wiles couldn’t save. Searching for the truth behind her love’s murder, Rachel treads a dangerous path, filled with deadly menace and shocking surprises–including a powerful demon determined to claim her and a family secret that throws her entire life into question.
- White Witch, Black Curse – The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and when a new predator moves to the apex of the Inderlander food chain, Rachel’s past comes back to haunt her. Some wounds take time to heal but some scars never fade.
- Black Magic Sanction – Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, Rachel’s best hope is life imprisonment – the worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery. Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom, but trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and an ex-boyfriend turned thief. It takes a witch to catch a witch, but survival bears a heavy price.
- Pale Demon – After centuries of torment, a fearsome demon walks in the sunlight–freed at last to slay the innocent and devour their souls. But his ultimate goal is Rachel Morgan, and in the fight for survival that follows, even embracing her own demonic nature may not be enough to save her.
- A Perfect Blood – Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of humans and others. Pulled in by the FIB to help investigate, former witch-turned-day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth: others want to create their own demons, and to do so they need her blood. She’s faced vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more–but this time Rachel’s toughest challenge might be humanity itself.
- Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond – Collection of short stories that combines original work, including a new Hollows novella, as well as all of Kim Harrison’s previously published short fiction gathered together in one volume for the very first time.
- Ever After – When Rachel sets off a chain of events that could lead to the end of the world-demonic and human-she must use her gifts to save those closest to her while preventing an apocalypse.
- The Undead Pool – A strange magic is attacking Cincinnati and the Hollows, causing spells to backfire or go horribly wrong, and the truce between the Inderlander and human races is shattering. Rachel must stop this dark necromancy before an all-out supernatural war breaks out.
- The Witch with No Name – Power demands responsibility, and world-changers must always pay a price. Rachel has known that this day would come–and now it is here. To save Ivy’s soul and the rest of the living vampires, to keep the demonic ever after and our own world from destruction, Rachel Morgan will risk everything.
- American Demon – What happens after you’ve saved the world? Well, if you’re Rachel Mariana Morgan, you quickly discover that something might have gone just a little bit wrong. That the very same acts you and your friends took to forge new powers may have released something bound by the old. With a rash of zombies, some strange new murders, and an exceedingly mysterious new demon in town, it will take everything Rachel has to counter this new threat to the world–and it may demand the sacrifice of what she holds most dear.
- Million Dollar Demon – The new master vampire of Cincinnati has arrived…and she wants Rachel Morgan out. Rachel has no desire to be enthralled or killed–and she’s terrified of what may become of the city if Constance forces a return to the ancient ways. But even a witch-born demon can’t stand against the old undead–at least, not alone. And if Rachel refuses to claim the role of Cincinnati’s master demon, the city will tear itself apart, taking her and all those who stand beside her with it.
- Trouble with the Cursed – Rachel Morgan’s best friend, Ivy Tamwood, is returning home. Nothing’s simple, though, and Ivy’s not coming alone. The vampires’ ruling council insists she escorts one of the long undead, hell-bent on proving that Rachel killed Cincy’s master vampire to take over the city. Which, of course, Rachel totally did not do. She only transformed her a little. With Rachel’s friends distracted by their own lives and problems, she reaches out to a new ally for help–the demon Hodin. But this trickster has his own agenda. In the end, the only way for Rachel to save herself and the city may be to forge a new understanding with her estranged demon teacher, Al. There’s just one problem: Al would sell his own soul to be rid of her.
- Demons of Good and Evil – Rachel Morgan, witch–born demon, suspected that protecting the paranormal citizens of Cincinnati as the demon subrosa would be trouble. But it’s rapidly becoming way more trouble than even she could have imagined. While Rachel and her friends may have vanquished the trickster demon Hodin, his mysterious associate known only as “The Mage” is eager to finish what Hodin started, beginning with taking down Rachel’s power structure piece by piece.
The Hollows prequel book
- The Turn: The Hollows begins with Death – Death comes in the guise of hope when a genetically modified tomato created to feed the world combines with the government’s new tactical virus, giving it an unexpected host and a mode of transport. Plague takes the world, giving the paranormal species an uncomfortable choice to stay hidden and allow humanity to die, or to show themselves in a bid to save them. Under accusations of scientific misconduct, Trisk and Kal flee across a plague torn United States to convince leaders of the major paranormal species to save their supposedly weaker kin, but not everyone thinks humanity should be saved.
The Hollows Graphic Novels (prequels)
- Blood Work – Graphic novel. Hot-as-hell, tough-as-nails detective Ivy Tamwood has been demoted from homicide down to lowly street-crime detail. As if rousting trolls and policing pixies instead of catching killers wasn’t bad enough, she’s also been saddled with a newbie partner who’s an earth witch. Together, Ivy and Rachel hit the mean streets to deal swift justice to the evil element among Cincinnati’s supernatural set. But there’s more to their partnership than they realize-and more blood and black magic in their future than they bargained for.
- Blood Crime – Graphic novel. It doesn’t take a hotshot homicide detective to know that nearly getting flattened by a falling gargoyle or impaled by a lead pipe aren’t on-the-job accidents. But it doesn’t seem possible that the class of crooks Ivy and Rachel routinely collar could kill anything but brain cells. So who put Cincinnati’s tough and tender twosome on their “to do in” list? Is Ivy’s vampire master, the powerful and seductive Piscary, jealous of her growing bloodlust (and just plain lust) for Rachel? Or have forces unknown-living or undead-made the partners prey in a deadly witch (and vampire) hunt?
The Hollows’ Companion Book
- The Hollows Insider: New fiction, facts, maps, murders, and more in the world of Rachel Morgan – An insider’s look at the supernatural world of the Hollows, from an overarching new story to character profiles, maps, spell guides, charm recipes, secret correspondence from the elusive Trent Kalamack, and much more.
The Hollows Universe in Chronological Order
- The Turn: The Hollows begins with Death
- Blood Work – Graphic novel
- Blood Crime – Graphic novel
- Dead Witch Walking
- The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
- Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Every Which Way But Dead
- A Fistful of Charms
- Dirty Magic – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- For a Few Demons More
- The Bridges of Eden Park – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- The Outlaw Demon Wails
- The Bespelled – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- White Witch, Black Curse
- Ley Line Drifter – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Black Magic Sanction
- Pale Demon
- The Hollows Insider: New fiction, facts, maps, murders, and more in the world of Rachel Morgan
- A Perfect Blood
- Million-Dollar Baby – short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Ever After
- Trouble on Reserve – short story published in Ever After
- The Undead Pool
- The Witch with No Name
- Sudden Backtrack – short story
- Waylaid – Rachel Morgan of The Hollows meets Peri Reed of The Drafter in this short story
- American Demon
- Million Dollar Demon
- Trouble with the Cursed
- Demons of Good and Evil
If you like this article about reading the Hollows books in order, you may also want to see our guide to the Mercy Thompson series or Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.