Written by Darren Shan, more known for his Cirque Du Freak series, The Demonata is a young adult horror/ fantasy series dealing with the world of demons. The series is told by three different protagonists: Grubbs Grady, Kernel Fleck, and Bec MacConn.
The Demonata, or demons, are creatures who have no feelings or emotions and like to kill and eat humans. Since they lack creativity and imagination, they take forms combining aspects of many animals from the human world.
How to read The Demonata Series in Order?
I. Reading The Demonata Publication Order
- Lord Loss – Grubbs Grady has stiff red hair and is a little big for his age, which means he can get into R-rated movies. He hates history and loves bacon, rats, and playing tricks on his squeamish older sister. When he opts out of a family weekend trip, he never guesses that he is about to take a terrifying journey into darkness. Hungry demons and howling werewolves haunt his waking nightmares… and threaten his life.
- Demon Thief – Kernel Fleck has always known he’s weird. He sees lights. Strange, multi-colored patches of light, swirling through the air. But it’s not until a window opens into a demon world, with horrific consequences, that Kernel discovers his powers. As a Disciple, his mission is to hunt vicious, powerful demons to the death…
- Slawter – Grubbs Grady and his half-brother Bill-E are thrilled to join their uncle Dervish as onset consultants for the newest movie by cult horror producer David A Hayms. Shot in a deserted town renamed Slawter, the demon-themed movie is to be Hayms’s masterpiece. But as strange incidents disrupt the set, Grubbs begins to wonder whether more than filming is afoot.
- Bec – As demonic Fomorii ravage their land, Bec and a band of warrior companions leave their devastated rath to answer a plea for help. An orphaned priestess-in-training, Bec hopes the journey will help her solve the mysteries of her birth. But fighting demons has a steep price…
- Blood Beast – Grubbs Grady has so far escaped the family curse, but when he begins to experience alarming symptoms at the onset of the full moon, he is scared that the jaws of fate are opening and about to swallow him whole.
- Demon Apocalypse – One boy’s life ripped to shreds before his eyes. One wrathful demon master hell-bent on revenge. An army of grisly Demonata on the rampage. It’s the end of the world as we know it.
- Death’s Shadow – Bec is back to face the Demonata. After centuries of imprisonment, she’s more powerful than ever, but the demons no longer stand alone. Something has crawled out of the darkness with her. Lord Loss is no longer humanity’s greatest threat… As Bec’s relationship with Dervish improves, werewolves and demons attack and she sends Shark and Meera through a window to another universe to seek Beranabus, and soon all must face an even greater force of evil, the Shadow.
- Wolf Island – As the mysterious Shadow builds an army of demons, Grubbs Grady and his team search desperately for answers. But when they follow up a new lead, it takes them to an old, unexpected foe – the Lambs.
- Dark Calling – The Disciples are being manipulated by beings older than time. Only Kernel Fleck knows that something is wrong. But he is in the grip of a creature who cares nothing for the fate of humanity. Voices are calling to him from the darkness and he’s powerless to resist. Kernel has already been to hell and back. Now he’s about to go further.
- Hell’s Heroes – Beranabus and Dervish are gone. Bec has formed an unholy alliance with Lord Loss. Kernel is blind, held on Earth against his will. Grubbs is mad with grief and spinning out of control. The demons are crossing. The Disciples are falling. The Shadow is waiting. Welcome to the end.
II. Reading The Demonata Chronological Order
- Bec (Between 350 AD and 400 AD. About 1600 years before Demon Thief)
- Demon Thief (Mid 1970s, about 30 years before Lord Loss)
- Lord Loss (Early 21st century)
- Slawter (Four months after the end of Lord Loss)
- Blood Beast (About a year after Slawter)
- Demon Apocalypse (Directly following Blood Beast)
- Death’s Shadow (6 months after Demon Apocalypse)
- Wolf Island (Same time as Death’s Shadow)
- Dark Calling (Same time as Wolf Island)
- Hell’s Heroes (6 Months after Dark Calling)