What is The Camel Club about?
American writer David Baldacci is best known for writing Memory Man, the first book in the Amos Decker series, or the stand-alone novel Absolute Power. He is also the writer of The Camel Book Series, a mystery thriller about four unlikely partners. Together, they are known as The Camel Club, a group of truth-seekers. Why Camel Club? As Stone, one of them said in the book, it’s “Because camels have great stamina. They never give up.”
The Camel Club follows the man without a past “Oliver Stone”; obsessive computer genius Milton Farb; blue-collar laborer Reuben Rhodes; and Library of Congress reference specialist Caleb Shaw. This group works to expose corruption at the upper echelons of the US government. In their mission, they are helped by a Secret Service agent, a homeless activist, and a con artist.
The Camel Club Books in Order:
- The Camel Club – The Camel Club’s efforts bear little fruit until the group witnesses a shocking murder…and becomes embroiled in an astounding, far-reaching conspiracy. Now the Club must join forces with a Secret Service agent to confront one of the most chilling spectacles ever to take place on American soil-an event that may trigger the ultimate war between two different worlds. And all that stands in the way of this apocalypse is five unexpected heroes.
- The Collectors – The assassination of the speaker of the House has rocked the nation. And the Camel Club has found a chilling connection with another death: that of the director of the Library of Congress’s Rare Books and Special Collections Division. The club’s unofficial leader discovers that someone is selling America to its enemies one secret at a time. Because the two murders are hurtling the Camel Club into a world of espionage that is bringing America to its knees.
- Stone Cold – Keeping a vigilant watch over our leaders in Washington D.C., the club has won over some allies, but it has also made some formidable enemies. Annabelle Conroy, an honorary member of the Camel Club, is the greatest con artist of her generation. As an old, powerful mark hunts her down and the Camel Club tries to protect her, a new opponent suddenly arises.
- Divine Justice – Known by his alias, “Oliver Stone,” John Carr is the most wanted man in America. With two pulls of the trigger, the men who destroyed Stone’s life and kept him in the shadows were finally silenced. But his freedom comes at a steep price: The assassinations he carried out prompt the highest levels of the U.S. government to unleash a massive manhunt.
- Hell’s Corner – John Carr, aka Oliver Stone stands in Lafayette Park in front of the White House. Inside, the British prime minister is being honored at a state dinner. Then, just as the prime minister’s motorcade leaves, a bomb explodes in the park, and in the chaotic aftermath Stone is given an urgent assignment: find those responsible. With nowhere else to turn, Stone enlists the help of the only people he knows he can trust: the Camel Club.
- Bullseye (novella) crossover with The Will Robie series.