In a famous galaxy…
What Star Wars: The High Republic is about?
Launched in January 2021, Star Wars: The High Republic is an ongoing multimedia project with the mission to tell a cohesive story taking place during the High Republic. Charles Soule, Justina Ireland, Cavan Scott, Daniel José Older, and Claudia Gray are the principal architects behind this massive story.
Set 200 years prior to the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, the galaxy is at peace, ruled by the glorious Republic and protected by the noble and wise Jedi Knights. As a symbol of all that is good, the Republic is about to launch Starlight Beacon into the far reaches of the Outer Rim. This new space station will serve as a ray of hope for all to see.
But just as a magnificent renaissance spreads throughout the Republic, so does a frightening new adversary. Now the guardians of peace and justice must face a threat to themselves, the galaxy, and the Force itself…
Star Wars: The High Republic: The Menu
This reading order will be updated monthly. As this is an ongoing tale, new books and comics are published on a regular basis.
Following is a menu to navigate in this reading order:
Star Wars: The High Republic by Media
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adult Novel
- Star Wars: The High Republic Junior novel
- Star Wars: The High Republic Audio dramas
- Star Wars: The High Republic Comic books and manga
- Short stories
- Reference Books
Star Wars: The High Republic Chronological Reading Order
Star Wars: The High Republic Books in Order
Star Wars: The High Republic Adult Novel
- Light of the Jedi – When a shocking catastrophe in hyperspace tears a ship to pieces, the flurry of shrapnel emerging from the disaster threatens an entire system. No sooner does the call for help go out than the Jedi race to the scene. The scope of the emergence, however, is enough to push even Jedi to their limit. As the sky breaks open and destruction rains down upon the peaceful alliance they helped to build, the Jedi must trust in the Force to see them through a day in which a single mistake could cost billions of lives. Even as the Jedi battle valiantly against calamity, something truly deadly grows beyond the boundary of the Republic. The hyperspace disaster is far more sinister than the Jedi could ever suspect. A threat hides in the darkness, far from the light of the age, and harbours a secret that could strike fear into even a Jedi’s heart.
- The Rising Storm – In the wake of the Great Hyperspace Disaster and the heroism of the Jedi, the Republic continues to grow, bringing more worlds together under a single unified banner. Under the leadership of Chancellor Lina Soh, the spirit of unity extends throughout the galaxy, with the Jedi and the newly established Starlight Beacon station at the vanguard. In celebration, the chancellor plans The Republic Fair, a showcase of the possibilities and the peace of the expanding Republic. Stellan Gios, Bell Zettifar, Elzar Mann, and others join the event as ambassadors of harmony. But as the eyes of the galaxy turn toward the Fair, so too does the fury of the Nihil. Their leader, Marchion Ro, is intent on destroying this unity. His storm descends on the pageantry and celebration, sowing chaos and exacting revenge.
- The Fallen Star – Hanging like a jewel in the Outer Rim, the Beacon embodies the High Republic at the apex of its aspirations: a hub of culture and knowledge, a bright torch against the darkness of the unknown, and an extended hand of welcome to the furthest reaches of the galaxy. As survivors and refugees flee the Nihil’s attacks, the Beacon and its crew stand ready to shelter and heal. The grateful Knights and Padawans of the Jedi Order stationed there finally have a chance to recover-from the pain of their injuries and the grief of their losses. But the storm they thought had passed still rages; they are simply caught in its eye. Marchion Ro, the true mastermind of the Nihil, is preparing his most daring attack yet-one designed to snuff out the light of the Jedi.
- Convergence (Coming Soon) – On the close orbiting planets of Eiram and E’ronoh, the growing pains of a galaxy with limited resources but unlimited ambition are felt keenly. Their hatred for each other has fueled half a decade of escalating conflict and now threatens to consume surrounding systems. The last hope for peace emerges when heirs from the two planets’ royal families plan to marry. Before lasting peace can be established, an assassination attempt targeting the couple tilts Eiram and E’ronoh back into all-out war. To save both worlds, Jedi Knight Gella Nattai volunteers to uncover the culprit, while Chancellor Kyong appoints her son, Axel Greylark, to represent the Republic’s interests in the investigation.
- Cataclysm (Coming Soon) – The next adventure in The High Republic, set after the events of Convergence and The Battle of Jedha.
Star Wars: The High Republic Young-adult novel
Young adult novels target people over 12 and are companion books to the High Republic adult novels.
- Into the Dark – Padawan Reath Silas is being sent from the cosmopolitan galactic capital of Coruscant to the undeveloped frontier – and he couldn’t be less happy about it. He’d rather stay at the Jedi Temple, studying the archives. But when the ship he’s traveling on is knocked out of hyperspace in a galactic-wide disaster, Reath finds himself at the center of the action. The Jedi and their traveling companions find refuge on what appears to be an abandoned space station. But then strange things start happening, leading the Jedi to investigate the truth behind the mysterious station, a truth that could end in tragedy…
- Out of the Shadows – Sylvestri Yarrow is on a streak of bad luck with no end of sight. She’s been doing her best to keep the family cargo business going after her mom’s death, but between mounting debt and increasing attacks by the Nihil on unsuspecting ships, Syl is in danger of losing all she has left of her mother. She heads to the galactic capital of Coruscant for help, but gets sidetracked when she’s drawn into a squabble between two of the Republic’s most powerful families over a patch of space on the frontier. Tangled up in familial politics is the last place Syl wants to be, but the promise of a big payoff is enough to keep her interested…
- Midnight Horizon – The brave and wise Jedi Knights and their Padawans will be put to the ultimate test when they confront the anarchistic marauders known as the Nihil. But all is not as it seems…
- Path of Deceit (Coming Soon) – The Outer Rim planet Dalna has become the focus of a Jedi investigation into a stolen Force artifact, and Zallah Macri and her Padawan, Kevmo Zink, arrive on the pastoral world to follow up on a possible connection to a Dalnan missionary group called the Path of the Open Hand. Members of the Path believe that the Force must be free and should not be used by anyone, not even the Jedi. One such believer is Marda Ro, a young woman who dreams of leaving Dalna to spread word of the Path throughout the galaxy.
- Path of Vengeance (Coming Soon) – Meet fortune-seeking explorers, enigmatic followers, and valiant Jedi whose intersecting paths on the planet Dalna will set them on a collision course that will haunt the Republic for centuries to come.
Star Wars: The High Republic Junior novel
Junior novels are books for 8-12 years old, companion books to the High Republic adult novels, offering another point of view of the major events going on in the galaxy.
- A Test of Courage – Vernestra Rwoh is a new Jedi Knight at age sixteen, but her first real assignment feels an awful lot like babysitting. She’s been charged with supervising twelve-year old aspiring inventor Avon Starros on a cruiser headed to the dedication of a wondrous new space station called Starlight Beacon. But soon into their journey, bombs go off aboard the cruiser. While the adult Jedi try to save the ship, Vernestra, Avon, Avon’s droid J-6, a Jedi Padawan, and an ambassador’s son make it to an escape shuttle, but communications are out and supplies are low. They decide to land on a nearby moon, which offers shelter but not much more. And unbeknownst to them, danger lurks in the forest….
- Race to Crashpoint Tower – The Republic Fair is coming! Visitors from all over the galaxy are traveling to the planet Valo for a massive, awe-inspiring festival celebrating the Republic. While his fellow Valons prepare for the fair, Jedi Padawan Ram Jomaram is hiding out in his favorite place: a dingy garage filled with mechanical parts and tools. But when a security alarm goes off on the nearby hilltop nicknamed Crashpoint Peak, he ventures out with his trusty droid V-18 to investigate. There he discovers that someone has knocked out Valo’s communications tower―a frightening sign that Valo, and the Republic Fair, are in danger. Sure enough, as Ram races to warn the Jedi, the dreaded Nihil unleash a surprise attack! It’s up to Ram to face down the enemy at Crashpoint Tower and send a call for help to the Republic. Luckily, he’s about to get some assistance from unexpected new friends…
- Mission to Disaster – Jedi Knight prodigy Vernestra Rwoh and her Padawan Imri Cantaros find themselves–and their friends–in over their heads when they come face to face with the nefarious Nihil!
- Quest for the Hidden City (Coming Soon) – Daring pilots chart new routes through hyperspace, while Pathfinder teams make contact with frontier worlds to invite them to join the Republic. When a Pathfinder team’s communications droid is found drifting in space, damaged and bearing a cryptic message, Jedi Knight Silandra Sho and her Padawan, Rooper Nitani, are sent to find the missing team members. Their investigation leads them to the planet Gloam, a ravaged world said to be haunted by mythical monsters.
- Quest for Planet X (Coming Soon) – Head to the farthest reaches of the galaxy’s Outer Rim in this lightspeed paced and action-packed middle grade adventure set in the world of the High Republic, 150 years before the storytelling of Phase I. It’s a world of enterprising hyperspace prospectors, brave Jedi Padawans, and meddling comms saboteurs intent on disrupting the Republic’s mission to connect the galaxy with communication buoys. Discover how even the galaxy’s youngest Pilots and Padawans will play a very big role in the fate of the Republic on the frontier.
Star Wars: The High Republic Young readers book
The Young Readers books target young children, offering a kid-friendly (and way more short) versions of the adult novels.
- The Great Jedi Rescue – When a disaster strikes in hyperspace, putting the people of Hetzal Prime in grave danger, only the Jedi of the High Republic can save the day!
- Showdown at the Fair – This exciting full-color storybook brings to life an epic clash between the Jedi Knights and their mysterious enemies, the Nihil. Burryaga the Wookiee Padawan and his fellow Jedi must save the day!
- The Battle for Starlight – Another exciting storybook adventure featuring heroic Jedi and their Padawans as they fight the nefarious villains the Nihil! Includes full-color stickers!
Star Wars: The High Republic Audio dramas
- Tempest Runner (full script) – The Nihil storm has raged through the galaxy, leaving chaos and grief in its wake. Few of its raiders are as vicious as the Tempest Runner Lourna Dee. She stays one step ahead of the Jedi Order at the helm of a vessel named after one of the deadliest monsters in the galaxy: the Lourna Dee. But no one can outrun the defenders of the High Republic forever. After the defeat of her crew, Lourna falls into the hands of the Jedi – but not before she hides her identity, becoming just another Nihil convict. Her captors fail to understand the beast they have cornered. Just like every fool she’s ever buried, their first mistake was keeping her alive. Lourna is determined to make underestimating her their last.
- The Battle of Jedha (Coming Soon) – Will also be available as a script.
Star Wars: The High Republic Comic books and manga
The High Republic (Comic book)
Star Wars: The High Republic is an ongoing comic book written by Cavan Scott and published by Marvel Comics.
- Star Wars: The High Republic Vol. 1: There is No Fear – A new era of Star Wars storytelling begins! Journey back to the High Republic — the golden age of the Jedi! Centuries before the Empire and the Skywalker saga, the Jedi are at their height, protecting the galaxy as Republic pioneers push out into new territories. But as the frontier prepares for the dedication of the majestic Starlight Beacon, Padawan Keeve Trennis faces the ultimate choice — will she complete her Jedi trials, or rescue the innocent from disaster? And can she trust her closest ally? Enter a rich and vast world of new Jedi! New worlds! New ships! And new evils to fight — including the terrifying Nihil! Collects Star Wars: The High Republic (2021) 1-5
- Star Wars: The High Republic Vol. 2: The Heart of Drengi – As the galaxy prepares to celebrate the Republic Fair on Valo, a fierce battle rages in the depths of Wild Space — and the Jedi of Starlight Beacon must join forces with their most feared enemy to face the terror of the unstoppable Drengir horde! And as Avar Kriss and her new allies fight nightmarish creatures on a harsh lava world, young Jedi Keeve Trennis puts everything on the line to save her former master from the darkness — but the scars run deep… Meanwhile, who — or what — is the Great Progenitor? And will the Jedi find that other forces are at work on the Drengir’s deathworld? Collects Star Wars: High Republic (2021) 6-10
- The High Republic Vol. 3: Jedi’s End – With the stakes higher than ever before and time running out quickly, the Jedi must mount a daring rescue! The Nihil base is square in their sights — and Sskeer insists on going with them, no matter his condition. But a floating fortress at the heart of No Space will not be an easy target — will the best plan be a full-on attack, or an undercover infiltration? The way of the Jedi allows only one answer. Let battle commence…and may the Force be with our heroes! Collects Star Wars: The High Republic (2021) #11-15 and Star Wars: The High Republic – Eye of the Storm #1–2
The High Republic Adventures
Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures is an ongoing comic book written by Daniel José Older and published by IDW Publishing.
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures, Vol. 1 – In the days of the High Republic, the Jedi are at the height of their power. But the emergence of the piratical, anarchic Nihil proves that even the most successful peace is fragile, and the Jedi’s influence is neither as pervasive nor as benevolent as they would believe. Now Lula, Farzala, and Qort, inexperienced Jedi Padawans, must help the inhabitants of Trymant IV in the wake of a Nihil attack. All the while, they’ll face suspicion and outright opposition from a group of subversive citizens who resent and fear the Jedi. Two of those citizens, Zeen and Krix, will have to decide whether to accept the Padawans’ aid or try to save the day on their own. Collects Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures issues #1-5.
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures, Vol. 2 – Jedi Padawans Farzala and Qort are taking a break from the ongoing battle against the dangerous marauders known as the Nihil. As part of a secret mission, they join an aging Jedi Knight on the starship The Vessel to negotiate a peace treaty with the Hutt crime family. Hey, what could go wrong? As it turns out: literally everything. Collects Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures issues #6-8, the 2021 Free Comic Book Day story, and the 2021 Annual!
Limited, miniseries or short comic
For the moment, the monthly publication for the limited series or miniseries is ongoing and the collected editions will be released later.
- Tales of Villainy: The Gaze Electric (IDW) – Comic story Published in Star Wars Adventures #6, collected in Star Wars Adventures: The Light and the Dark
- The Monster of Temple Peak (IDW) – In the aftermath of the Great Disaster, Republic Chancellor Lina Soh prepares to unite the galaxy on Valo with a world-spanning Republic Fair. But not all systems share in this spirit of unity. And not all is at it seems, as former Jedi Padawan turned saber for hire TY YORRICK will soon learn…
- Trail of Shadows (Marvel) – A Jedi Master is dead. Another is in a state of complete shock. It’s a murder the likes of which the Jedi Order has never seen before. There are no leads. There are no suspects. There is no motive. But Jedi Investigator EMERICK CAPHTOR must solve the case before it’s too late. He’ll need help. Luckily, Private Eye SIAN HOLT lives in the dark. Together, they’ll follow this trail of shadows wherever it leads. If they can work together, that is.
The manga series is written by Shima Shinya and Justina Ireland, illustrated by Mizuki Sakakibara, and published by Viz Media.
- The Edge of Balance Vol. 1 – In the aftermath of the Hyperspace Disaster, young Jedi Knight, Lily Tora-Asi is assigned to help displaced civilians relocate to Banchii, a newly inhabited planet in the Inugg system far in the outer rim. Banchii is the site of a new Jedi temple led by Master Arkoff, Lily’s Wookiee mentor, who imagines the temple as a place of peace for new inhabitants and for those who are traveling beyond. While balancing the arrival of incoming settlers with the strange mysteries of this remote outpost, Lily wonders if she’s doing enough to bring peace to the galaxy. But when hidden dangers begin to emerge, the young Jedi will face her greatest challenge yet . . .
- The Edge of Balance Vol. 2 – Jedi Knight Lily Tora-Asi learns the Drengir attack on Banchii was not an isolated event but part of a coordinated attack orchestrated by the Nihil. Master Arkoff is on orders from the Jedi Council to help Master Stellan Gios’s investigation, leaving Lily in charge of rebuilding Banchii and restoring hope to the community. Lily vows the temple will not be put in danger again, not under her watch! When a disruptive unannounced visitor appears, Lily must maintain her focus as she seeks the best way to protect Banchii, Keerin, and the Younglings from the growing Nihil threat.
- Star Wars Insider: The High Republic: Starlight Stories (Coming Soon) – A compendium of tales from the High Republic era, told from aboard the incredible satellite station, the Starlight Beacon, collected for the first time from the pages of Star Wars Insider. Stories included:
- Go Together: Part One – Short story first published in Star Wars Insider 199
- Go Together: Part Two – Short story first published in Star Wars Insider 200
- First Duty – Short story first published in Star Wars Insider 201–202
- Hidden Danger – Short story published in Star Wars Insider 203–204
- Past Mistakes – Short story published in Star Wars Insider 205–206
- Starlight: Shadow Remain – Short story published in Star Wars Insider 207–208
- Short stories not collected for the moment:
The Art of Star Wars: The High Republic (Phase One) – Featuring exclusive concept art, character and costume sketches, and vehicle and creature designs by the Lucasfilm art department, this official companion to Star Wars: The High Republic (Phase One) offers fans a definitive, behind-the-scenes look at an ambitious new era of Star Wars storytelling. (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: The High Republic: An Illustrated Guide to the Golden Age – Set hundreds of years before the Skywalker Saga, this book is the ultimate in-universe guide to the Jedi Knights of Star Wars: The High Republic, providing a fascinating insight into a time of valiant heroes, terrifying monsters, and daring exploration. Featuring stunning original illustrations and exclusive new revelations, this striking book is an essential collectible that will transport you to the galaxy’s gilded age. (Coming soon)
Star Wars: The High Republic Chronological Reading Order
Credit where credit is due, this chronological order is inspired by Used-Caterpillar-906, stefan1138 (both on Reddit) and Wookieepedia. As the story is ongoing, the order is still subject to changes. Don’t hesitate to leave a comment with your suggestions!
Phase I: Light of the Jedi
Phase II: Quest of the Jedi
Also coming soon are two reference books: The Art of Star Wars: The High Republic (Phase One) – Reference Book and Star Wars the High Republic: An Illustrated Guide to the Galaxy’s Golden Age