Enter the Seven Realms…
What is Seven Realms/Shattered Realms about?
Written by the American author Cinda Williams Chima, The Seven Realms is a four books high fantasy series set in the Queendom of the Fells – a world of medieval technology, swordplay, castles, and keeps. The story follows Han Alister, a thief-turned-wizard who joins forces with Princess Raisa ana’Marianna to defend her right to the Gray Wolf Throne.
The sequel series, titled Shattered Realms, takes place in the same world, but a generation after the events of The Seven Realms and follows the progeny of many of the characters in the original series.
Seven Realms/Shattered Realms Books in Order:
I. Seven Realms Series
- The Demon King – 16-year-old Han Alister encounters three underage wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Alister is unaware that this will lead to a series of events that threaten to consume the world in chaos. Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna, heir to the Gray Wolf throne of the Fells, has her own battles to fight. The power of the Wizard Council is growing, and her people are starving and rebellious. Even though both Alister and Raisa come from different backgrounds, they wind up in a race to keep balance in the Queendom and to save Fellsmarch.
- The Exiled Queen – Han Alister journeys south to begin his schooling at Mystwerk House in Oden’s Ford. There, Han meets Crow, a mysterious wizard who agrees to tutor Han in the darker parts of sorcery – but the bargain they make is one Han may soon regret. Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna runs from a forced marriage in the Fells. Now, the safest place for Raisa is Wein House, the military academy at Oden’s Ford. If Raisa can pass as a regular student, Wein House will offer both sanctuary and the education Raisa needs to succeed as the next Gray Wolf queen.
- The Gray Wolf Throne – When Han Alister finds his friend Rebecca Morley near death in the Spirit Mountains, Han knows that nothing matters more than saving her. But nothing can prepare him for what he soon discovers. And if Han is to fulfill his end of an old bargain, he must do everything in his power to see Raisa crowned queen. Meanwhile, some people will stop at nothing to prevent Raisa from ascending. With danger coming at her from every direction, Raisa can only rely on her wits and her iron-hard will to survive—and even that might not be enough.
- The Crimson Crown – For young queen Raisa ana’Marianna, maintaining peace even within her own castle walls is nearly impossible and her best hope is to unite her people against a common enemy. But that enemy might be the person with whom she’s falling in love. Through a complicated web of lies and unholy alliances, former streetlord Han Alister has become a member of the Wizard Council of the Fells. Navigating the cut-throat world of blue blood politics has never been more dangerous and his only ally is the queen. Before long, Han finds himself in possession of a secret believed to be lost to history, a discovery powerful enough to unite the people of the Fells. But will the secret die with him before he can use it?
II. Shattered Realms Series
This series is set 20 years after the events described in Seven Realms
- Flamecaster – Ash is a trained healer with a powerful gift of magic—and a thirst for revenge. Forced into hiding after a series of murders throws the queendom into chaos, he’s now closer than ever to killing the man responsible, the cruel king of Arden. Abandoned at birth, Jenna Bandelow was told that the magemark on the back of her neck would make her a target. Though Jenna doesn’t know why she’s being hunted, she knows that she can’t get caught. Eventually, Ash’s and Jenna’s paths will collide in Arden. Thrown together by chance and joined by their hatred of the ruthless king, they will come to rescue each other in ways they cannot yet imagine.
- Shadowcaster – Lyss, the reluctant princess heir to the Gray Wolf throne of the Fells goes on the offensive, meaning to end the war that has raged her whole life. Across enemy lines in Arden, young rising star Captain Halston Matelon is being sent on ever more dangerous assignments. Lyss and Hal’s intricately linked fates become inseparable when they fall under the shadow of a new enemy—a force that threatens to extinguish the last rays of hope in the Shattered Realms.
- Stormcaster – Vagabond seafarer Evan Strangward can move wind, waves, and weather, but his magical abilities can’t protect him forever from the brutal Empress Celestine. If he can’t convince the Gray Wolf queen to take a stand, he knows that the Seven Realms will fall, and his last sanctuary will be destroyed. Meanwhile, the queen’s formidable daughter, Princess Alyssa ana’Raisa, is already a prisoner aboard the empress’s ship, sailing east. Lyss may be the last remaining hope of bringing down the empress from within her own tightly controlled stronghold.
- Deathcaster – Warrior Alyssa ana’Raisa would do anything to protect her home, the Fells, and her legacy, the Gray Wolf line. But as a prisoner of Empress Celestine, Lyss is forced to turn her fearsome talents as an army commander against her beloved homeland. In Lyss’s absence, Fellsmarch Castle swarms with intrigue, deception, and a primordial threat. Destin Karn, a southern spymaster with a hidden agenda of his own, might be the queendom’s only hope of defeating the forces aligned against the Seven Realms, as well as the enemies within the castle.