Meet the most spaced-out crew in the galaxy.
What is Firefly about?
Firefly is an American space Western media franchise created by Joss Whedon. It includes the TV series Firefly, the film Serenity, some novels and multiples comic books.
The series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system , and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a “Firefly-class” spaceship. In this future, the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures.
Serenity/Firefly Reading Order:
Serenity Comics or Firefly Legacy Edition
From 2005 to 2017, Dark Horse Comics published a Serenity comic books, an official sequel of the Firefly tv series and the 2005 film Serenity. Since Mid 2018, Boom ! Studios now held the Firefly licenced and republished in the Firefly Legacy Edition all the Dark Horse Comic books.
- Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One – The official sequels to the critically acclaimed show Firefly, originally published by Dark Horse and now collected in a new edition by Boom Studios. Collects Serenity: Those Left Behind #1-3 ; Serenity: Better Days #1-3 ; Serenity: The Other Half ; Serenity: Downtime ; Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale ; Serenity: Float Out #1 ; It’s Never Easy.
- Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two – Picking up where the critically acclaimed film Serenity left off, the ‘Verse is on the brink of war, and Captain Mal and his crew are on the run from the Alliance and an old, unstoppable foe. Collects Leaves on the Wind #1-6 ; The Warrior and the Wind ; No Power in the ‘Verse #1-6.
Boom Studios Firefly Comics
New tales from the ‘Verse coming from Boom Studios.
- Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 1 – Captain Malcolm Reynolds thought he could outrun his past, but when a simple heist goes wrong, he’s forced to confront it. With the fabled Traitor of Serenity Valley in his sights, Mal’s quest for revenge will put him at odds with his own crew, forcing him to make a choice: fix the past or fight for the future. Collects Firefly #1–4.
- Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 2 – Serenity’s crew is divided, as Captain Malcolm “Mal” Reynolds and his First Mate Zoe Washburn are arrested for crimes committed during the Unification War and they each are forced to choose a side. War can make villains of even the best men, and their quest for redemption will put them at odds with their crew, their family…and each other. Collects Firefly #5–8 ; Free Comic Book Day 2019.
- Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 3 – Captain Malcolm Reynolds, his first mate Zoë Washburne and the ragtag crew of Serenity have been torn apart by Boss Moon, the Unificators and the gorram Alliance itself! With a new war brewing, the Alliance on the verge of gaining more power than ever, our good Captain is going to be reminded that saving the day always comes at a higher price than you thought. Collects Firefly #9-12.
- Firefly: New Sheriff in the ‘Verse Vol. 1 – After the shocking conclusion of Mal’s journey with Boss Moon, Mal hands himself into the Alliance…but it turns out he’s not the one they want. The infamous Ma Reynolds – that’s Mal’s mom – is at the top of the Alliance’s Most Wanted, and if Mal doesn’t get to her first, the Alliance will! Collects Firefly: The Outlaw Ma Reynolds #1 and Firefly #13-15.
- Firefly: The Sting – Saffron — the enigmatic rogue who captured the heart of Capt. Malcolm Reynolds — returns to the Serenity. But this time, she’s got no time for Mal, as she’s there to recruit the women of the ship to join her on a heist that has personal stakes for all involved.
- Firefly: Watch How I Soar – As Wash’s life flashes before him, he revisits the most important, never before revealed moments in his life, from growing up on a planet so ravaged by pollution that no star could shine in the sky to meeting the woman of his dreams in Zoe, who would become his wife and create a life with him beyond his wildest imagination.
The Firefly Novels
- Still Flying – a celebration of all aspects of the show, featuring rare and previously unpublished images — including storyboards, production design art and candid behind the scenes photos — memories from the cast and crew, a tribute to the Browncoats, and more. Includes four short stories by writers of the TV show Firefly : What Holds Us Down (Jane Espenson) ; Fun With Dick and Jayne (Ben Edlund) ; Crystal (Brett Matthews) ; Take The Sky (Jose Molina).
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero – While picking up a new cargo on Persephone, Captain Malcolm Reynolds is kidnapped by a bunch of embittered veteran Browncoats who suspect him of sabotaging the Independents during the war. As old comrades and old rivals crawl out of the woodwork, Mal must prove his innocence.
- Firefly: The Magnificent Nine – Set between the TV series and the movie Serenity. Captain Mal Reynolds is in a fix. He’d like nothing more than to find honest smuggling work that stays under the Alliance’s radar and keeps the good ship Serenity in the sky. But when an old flame of Jayne Cobb’s sends a desperate plea across the galaxy, his crew has other ideas.
- Firefly: The Ghost Machine – Mal and the crew take receipt of a sealed crate which they are being paid to transport to Badger, no questions asked. Yet once their cargo is safely stowed aboard, River insists Mal should “space” it out of the airlock, for it contains, she insists, ghosts. With supplies running low, the crew desperately need another pay day, but soon find themselves paralysed by hallucinations of their deepest hopes and desires, so vivid they cannot be distinguished from reality.
- Firefly: Generations – Mal wins an old map in a card game. Ancient and written in impenetrable symbols, the former owner insists it’s worthless. Yet River Tam can read it, and says it leads to one of the Arks, legendary ships that brought humans from Earth-that-was to the ‘Verse. The salvage potential alone is staggering. But the closer they get to the ancient ship, the more agitated River becomes. She says something is waiting inside, something powerful, and very angry.
The Firefly/Serenity Chronological Reading Order :
The Firefly universe is still expanding, and new stories explores adventures and characters’s history before, during or after the tv series and film. It’s not always easy to define the place of certain stories in the chronology, as there’s not enough informations in some cases.
- Fun With Dick and Jayne – short story include in Still Flying.
- Tam Sessions – Short Serenity promotional videos
- Firefly, The TV show, episodes 1 to 6
- Firefly: Bad Company – A one shot telling the secret origin of Saffron.
- Firefly, The TV show, episodes 7 to 10
- Serenity: Downtime – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.
- Firefly, The TV show, episodes 11 to 12
- Serenity: Better Days – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One. Occurs after the episode ‘Ariel’ and before ‘Heart of Gold’.
- Firefly, The TV show, episodes 13 & 14
- Firefly: The Magnificent Nine – Novel
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero – Novel
- Firefly: The Sting – Comic
- Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 1 – set between the series and the movie
- Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 2 – set between the series and the movie
- Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 3 – set between the series and the movie
- What Holds Us Down – short story include in Still Flying.
- Crystal (Brett Matthews) – in Still Flying.
- Serenity: Those Left Behind – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.
- Serenity: The Other Half – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.
- Firefly: The Ghost Machine
- Serenity, the movie
- Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One. The Events mostly occurs prior Fun With Dick and Jayne, but some events take place during the movie and are spoilers.
- Firefly: Watch How I Soar – Like The Shepherd’s Tale, it offers background on a character, but use events from the movie.
- Serenity: Float Out – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.
- Serenity: It’s Never Easy – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book One.
- Serenity: Leaves on the Wind – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two.
- Serenity: The Warrior and the Wind – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two.
- Serenity: No Power in the ’Verse – Collected in Firefly Legacy Edition: Book Two.
- Take The Sky – short story include in Still Flying.