All of the Books!
Who is Sara Shepard?
Sarah Shepard is an American author of young adult and mystery fiction, famous for the Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game series, both of them which have been adapted for television.
Shepard grew up in Pennsylvania and graduated with a B.S. degree from New York University and an MFA in Creative writing from Brooklyn College. She first worked at Time, Inc. Custom Publishing and produced lifestyle magazines for corporate clients before ghostwriting as a freelancer in 2002.
She began writing her own books in 2005 and found success quickly with Pretty Little Liars, the first novel from the series of the same name. She initially planned to end the series after the eighth book, but she was inspired to continue due to the popularity of the TV series, adding eight additional books to the series. She published another series, The Lying Game, between 2010 and 2013, but didn’t find the same success with her book Heiresses in 2014. She also published some stand-alone books, some of them being adult-fiction stories.
Sara Shepard Books in Order:
Pretty Little Liars
Set in Rosewood, Pennsylvania, the story of Pretty Little Liars is about four girls with secrets (Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin, Aria Montgomery, and Emily Fields), and the one person who knows them all. Three years after the disappearance of their friend leader Alison DiLaurentis, the four “liars” begin receiving strange messages from someone called “A,” who threatens to expose their secrets. They must find out who is “A.” By doing so, they put themselves in more danger, in search of the truth. For more details, go to the Pretty Little Liars reading order.
- Ali’s Pretty Little Lies (short stories, 2013) – A Prequel. Better to read it later.
- Pretty Little Liars (2006)
- Flawless (2006)
- Perfect (2007)
- Unbelievable (2008)
- Pretty Little Secrets (short stories, 2012)
- Wicked (2008)
- Killer (2009)
- Heartless (2010)
- Wanted (2010)
- Twisted (2011)
- Ruthless (2011)
- Stunning (2012)
- Burned (2012)
- Crushed (2013)
- Deadly (2013)
- Toxic (2014)
- Vicious (2014)
Emma Paxton recently discovered she had a long-lost twin sister named Sutton Mercer. As Emma went into foster care, Sutton was adopted by a wealthy family. Their life and personality couldn’t be more different. Sutton Mercer had a life anyone would kill for. Then someone did. Now, it’s up to Emma to discover who could have wanted her sister gone… and the list of suspects is quite long. For more details, go to the Lying Game reading order.
The Main Series
- The Lying Game (2010)
- Never Have I Ever (2011)
- Two Truths and a Lie (2012)
- Hide and Seek (2012)
- Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (2013)
- Seven Minutes in Heaven (2013)
The Perfectionists Series in Order
Ava, Caitlin, Mackenzie, Julie, and Parker are all driven to be perfect—no matter the cost. At first, the girls think they have nothing in common until they discover that they all hate the same person: handsome womanizer Nolan Hotchkiss, who’s done things to hurt each of them. They come up with the perfect plan to murder Nolan—jokingly, of course. They’d never actually go through with it. But when Nolan turns up dead in the exact way they’d discussed, the girls suddenly become prime suspects in his murder.
The Amateurs Deries in Order
The Amateurs follows five amateur crime solvers who met through a website called Case Not Closed, where users post about and try to solve crimes.
- The Visibles (2009) aka All The Things We Didn’t Say — When Summer’s mother disappears one summer, she is left with her father. Obsessed with an accident from years ago, he slowly descends into mental illness. And as he becomes more disorientated, he reveals small fragments of a secret that has been hidden since his youth, a secret that changes everything. Summer supports her father as much as she can but eventually realises that she has to escape. She finds refuge with her great-aunt, Stella. Feisty, fun-loving, and dying of cancer, Stella holds parts of the family secret. Slowly, things fall into place for Summer – or at least so she thinks…
- Everything We Ever Wanted (2010) — For the Bates-McAllister family, one phone call awakens questions and feelings that lain dormant for years, unraveling a tangled web of secrets and lies, which leads them all on individual journeys that, combined, forever changes all of their lives.
- The Heiresses (2014) — The only thing more flawless than a Saybrook’s solitaire is the family behind the diamond empire. Beauties, entrepreneurs, debutantes, and mavens, the Saybrooks are the epitome of high society. Anyone would kill to be one of them. But be careful what you wish for because if you were a Saybrook, you’d be haunted by secrets and plagued by a dark streak of luck. Tragedy strikes the prominent family yet again on a beautiful morning in May when thirty-four-year-old Poppy, the most remarkable Saybrook of them all, flings herself from the window of her office. Everyone is shocked that someone so perfect would end her own life—until her cousins receive an ominous warning: One heiress down, four to go. Was it suicide . . . or murder? And who will be next?
- The Elizas (2018) — When Eliza Fontaine is rescued from the bottom of a hotel pool just a few weeks before her first novel is going to be published, her family assumes that it’s another failed suicide attempt. But Eliza swears she was pushed. The problem is she remembers little of that night, a result of the large quantity of alcohol she consumed and a worsening struggle with memory loss due to a brain tumor. Feeling ignored and vulnerable, she decides she must find the truth of what actually happened.
- Reputation (2019) — Aldrich University is rocked to its core when a hacker dumps 40,000 people’s e-mails—the entire faculty, staff, students, alums—onto an easily searchable database. Rumors and affairs immediately leak, but things turn explosive when Kit Manning’s handsome husband, Dr. Greg Strasser, is found murdered. Kit’s sister, Willa, returns for the funeral, setting foot in a hometown she fled fifteen years ago, after a night she wishes she could forget. As an investigative reporter, Willa knows something isn’t right about the night Greg was killed, and she’s determined to find the truth. What she doesn’t expect is that everyone has something to hide. And with a killer on the loose, Willa and Kit must figure out who killed Greg before someone else is murdered.
- Influence (2020) — with Lilia Buckingham. Delilah is Internet-famous, in LA and at the start of something incredible. Jasmine is a child star turned media darling. Fiona is everyone’s best friend, always smiling. Scarlet isn’t just styled to perfection: she is perfection with a famous boyfriend and an online fanbase devouring her every move. To everyone clicking, DMing, following and faving, these girls are living the dream; but are they really? The sun is hot in California . . . and someone’s going to get burned.
- Safe in My Arms (2021) — When the principal of an elite California preschool is attacked, three moms – who feel like outsiders among the school’s manicured and ultra-wealthy community – must work together to uncover what she’s hiding, figure out who’s trying to frame them, and make sure their own secrets stay hidden.