Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
By the author of the Hillary Greene series.
What is the Ryder and Loveday series about?
Written by English author Jacquie Walton under the pen name Faith Martin, the Ryder and Loveday series is a cozy mystery series set in Oxford during the 1960s.
Everything starts with the introduction of Probationary WPC Trudy Loveday – smart, enthusiastic, and always underestimated – who’s assigned to help coroner Clement Ryder.
Together, they formed a new team of investigators dedicated to solving thrilling mysteries.
How to read the Ryder and Loveday Books in Order?
Each book in the Ryder and Loveday series is offering a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one book to the other.
- A Fatal Obsession – In the hope of getting her out of the way, Probationary WPC Trudy Loveday’s senior officer assigns her to help coroner Clement Ryder as he re-opens the case of a young woman’s death. She can’t believe her luck – she is actually going to be working on a real murder case. Meanwhile, the rest of the police force are busy investigating a series of threats and murders in the local community, and Clement can’t help but feel it’s all linked.
- A Fatal Mistake – In the glorious sunshine of Oxford, on a day when everyone should be celebrating, tragedy strikes when a university student is found floating in the river, dead. Probationary WPC Trudy Loveday finds herself paired with coroner Clement Ryder to investigate and it soon becomes clear that this case is not going to be easy. The witnesses all refuse to give a straight answer, each new lead sends them in a new direction and tales of other missing youngsters add further mystery to the investigation.
- A Fatal Flaw – As the city of Oxford prepares itself for the inaugural Miss Oxford Honey Beauty Pageant at The Old Swan Theatre, excitement is in the air. Then, tragedy strikes the competition when one of the leading contestants is found dead. Initially, the authorities assume her death was suicide. But after a malicious series of pranks and blackmail attempts are reported, WPC Loveday and Coroner Clement Ryder are called upon to solve the case.
- A Fatal Secret – A family day out at Briar’s Hall ends in tragedy when a young boy goes missing – and his body is found at the bottom of a disused well in the orchard. It looks like a simple case of an eleven-year-old exploring where he shouldn’t: a tragic accident. But Coroner Clement Ryder and Probationary WPC Trudy Loveday aren’t convinced. If Eddie had been climbing and fallen, why were there no cuts or dirt on his hands? Why would a boy terrified of heights be around a well at all?
- A Fatal Truth – As the Hughes family celebrates bonfire night, a terrible accident leaves the garden shed in flames – and father and grandfather Thomas are trapped inside. Tragic though it is, Thomas’s death passes without suspicion – until a local journalist makes accusations of a police cover-up in the press. WPC Trudy Loveday is sent to investigate and asks coroner Clement Ryder to help.
- A Fatal Affair – As May Day dawns in the peaceful village of Middle Fenton, a young woman is found brutally strangled, her body tied up with ribbons in the middle of the green. A week later, her boyfriend is found hanged in a local barn, and the police assume guilt over murdering his beloved has driven him to suicide – but not everyone is convinced. WPC Trudy Loveday and coroner Clement Ryder are sent to investigate, and quickly realize that there’s a double murderer on the loose.
- A Fatal Night – As a snowstorm rages outside, Oxford high society gathers to ring in the new year at the city’s most exclusive party. This is a soiree no one will forget… not least because a guest is found dead in his car the next morning. It seems the young man tragically froze to death overnight after crashing into a snowdrift – but when WPC Trudy Loveday and coroner Clement Ryder are called in to investigate, they discover a tangled web of secrets that plainly points to murder.
- A Fatal End – In the winding backstreets of Oxford, a club full of people dance the night away to their favorite band. But backstage there is trouble afoot. An argument is brewing between bandmembers, a possessive girlfriend will stop at nothing to help her beloved find fame – and a tragic accident leaves the lead singer dead. But was it an accident at all? Coroner Clement Ryder is suspicious, and WPC Trudy Loveday knows there’s only one thing for it. She’s going undercover, deep into the seedy underbelly of Oxford nightlife.
If you like our article about the Ryder and Loveday reading order, don’t forget to bookmark it! You may also be interested in more books by Faith Martin like the Hillary Greene series, or maybe the DI Nikki Galena series written by Joy Ellis.