The Wonderfull Animal Kingdom of Brian Jacques.
What is the Rewal series about?
Written by the British writer Brian Jacques, Redwall is a series of children’s fantasy novels with anthropomorphic animals (like mice, otters, moles, squirrels, hedgehogs, and more).
This is about the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey and the surrounding Mossflower Woods. The Woodlanders and Redwallers go on expeditions, fight monsters or must fend off hordes of vermin at home. This is a long series and some books take place before the founding of Redwall Abbey. Those books were not released in chronological order, though.
Redwall Books in Order:
I. In publication order
- Redwall – What can the peace-loving mice of Redwall Abbey do to defend themselves against Cluny the Scourge and his battle-seasoned army of rats? If only they had the sword of Martin the Warrior, they might have a chance. But the legendary weapon has long been forgotten-except, that is, by the bumbling young apprentice Matthias, who becomes the unlikeliest of heroes.
- Mossflower – The clever and greedy wildcat Tsarmina becomes ruler of all Mossflower Woods and is determined to govern the peaceful woodlanders with an iron paw. The brave mouse Martin and quick-talking mouse thief Gonff meet in the depths of Kotir Castle’s dungeon. The two escape and resolve to end Tsarmina’s tyrannical rule.
- Mattimeo – Slagar the Fox is determined to vanquish peaceable Redwall. Gathering his mercenary band of rats, stoats, and weasels, he advances upon the abbey with a cunning scheme: rather than making courageous battle plans, he will steal the children of Redwall from under their parents’ very noses. And his prize captive will be Mattimeo, the headstrong young son of Matthias, the fearless mouse warrior!
- Mariel of Redwall – When the rat pirate Gabool the Wild attacks the mouse-ship carrying Joseph the Bellmaker, he plunders its magnificent bell in a fit of greed, and then pitilessly casts Joseph and his daughter Mariel into the raging sea. After she is rescued and brought to Redwall Abbey, Mariel sets out with three fearless Mossflower companions to track down Gabool and avenge her father!
- Salamandastron – The inhabitants of Redwall relax in the haze of summer-but as they do, the neighboring stronghold of Salamandastron lies besieged by the evil weasel army of Ferhago the Assassin. Worse still, Mara, beloved daughter of Urthstripe, Badger Lord of the Fire Mountain, is in terrible danger. Then a lightning bolt uncovers the sword of Martin the Warrior, and young Samkin embarks on an adventure that leads him to Mara.
- Martin the Warrior – On the shore of the Eastern Sea, in a cold stone fortress, a stoat named Badrang holds dozens of innocent creatures as slaves, part of his scheme to build an empire where he will rule as unquestioned tyrant. Among those slaves is a mouse named Martin who has a warrior’s heart and a burning desire for freedom. There is no risk he will not take, no battle he will not fight, to end the stoat’s evil reign.
- The Bellmaker – It has been four seasons since Mariel, the warrior-mouse daughter of Joseph the Bellmaker, and her companion, Dandin, set off from Redwall to fight evil in Mossflower. Nothing has been heard of them since. Then one night, in a dream, the legendary Martin the Warrior comes to the Bellmaker with a mysterious message. Clearly, Mariel and Dandin are in grave danger. Joseph and four Redwallers set off at once to aid them.
- Outcast of Redwall – Abandoned as an infant by his father, the evil warlord Swartt Sixclaw, Veil is raised by the kindhearted Bryony. Despite concerns from everyone at Redwall, Bryony is convinced that Veil’s goodness will prevail. But when he commits a crime that is unforgivable, he is banished from the abbey forever. Then Swartt and his hordes of searats and vermin attack Redwall, and Veil has to decide: Should he join Swartt or should he turn his back on his true father?
- The Pearls of Lutra – The Tears of All Oceans are missing. Six magnificent rose-colored pearls, which inspire passion and greed in all who see them, have been stolen and passed from hand to hand, leaving a cryptic trail of death and deception in their wake. And now Ublaz Mad Eyes, the evil emperor of a tropical isle, is determined to let no one stand in the way of his desperate attempt to claim the pearls as his own.
- The Long Patrol – The murderous Rapscallion army is on the move. Dealt a humiliating defeat by Lady Cregga Rose Eyes, the Badger Lady of Salamandastron, who still pursues them, the Rapscallions are heading inland to take an even greater prize: the peaceful Abbey of Redwall.
- Marlfox – A villainous new presence is aprowl in Mossflower Woods-the Marlfoxes. Stealthy and mysterious, they are out to plunder and destroy everything in their path. And when they reach Redwall Abbey, they ruthlessly steal the most precious treasure of all-the tapestry of Martin the Warrior. It takes Dann Reguba and Song Swifteye, children of warrior squirrels, to follow in their fathers’ heroic footsteps.
- The Legend of Luke – Joined by Trimp the Hedgehog, Dinny Foremole, and Gonff–the ever-mischievous Prince of Mousethieves–it is that legend Martin hopes to discover when he embarks on a perilous journey to the northland shore, where his father abandoned him as a child. There, within the carcass of a great red ship, he finally uncovers what he has been searching for: the true story of the evil pirate stoat, Vilu Daskar.
- Lord Brocktree – The young haremaid Dotti and the badger-warrior Lord Brocktree—unlikely comrades—set out for Salamandastron together, only to discover the legendary mountain has been captured by the wildcat Ungatt Trunn and his Blue Hordes. To face them, the two must rally an army and execute a plan that makes up in cleverness what it lacks in force!
- The Taggerung – Years ago, the vermin clan of Sawney Rath kidnapped one of Redwall’s own-a baby otter, destined to become their “Taggerung,” a warrior hero of ancient legend. But as young Tagg grows, he rebels against his destiny. The young otter journeys in search of his birthplace, a member of Sawney’s clan always near, out to destroy the deserter. With the feisty mouse Nimbalo, Tagg fends off the avenging vermin.
- Triss – Enslaved by the evil ferret King Agarno and his daughter, Princess Kurda, the brave squirrelmaid Triss, along with Shogg the otter and Welfo the hedgehog, plans a daring escape by sea. In her flights, Triss happens upon Redwall, and the abbey creatures discover a new hero in her. Someone brave enough to carry the sword of Martin and face the evil that threatens them.
- Loamhedge – Loamhedge, the deserted Abbey, has been forgotten for countless seasons. What secrets do it’s ruins hold? When it becomes clear that wheelchair-bound Martha might be cured by a formula buried there, two old warriors are inspired by the spirit of Martin the Warrior himself to go on a quest for the ancient Abbey and three young rebels are determined to go with them.
- Rakkety Tam – There has never been a Redwall hero quite like Rakkety Tam, the roguish Highlander squirrel who sets off for Mossflower Wood on a mercenary errand and loses his heart to the charms of Redwall Abbey. And there’s never been a villain quite like Gulo the Savage: a vicious beast-eating wolverine who descends upon the Abbey in search of a relic called the Walking Stone.
- High Rhulain – The otters of Green Isle have long been enslaved to the Wildcat Riggu Felis. They work and wait for the day their savior will arrive?the prophesized High Rhulain, who will lead them in battle and a return to glory. Meanwhile, young Tiria Wildlough, an ottermaid at Redwall Abbey, pines for her chance to learn the ways of the warrior, much against the wishes of her father. So when an injured osprey arrives at the Abbey, seeking help for its wounds and carrying tales of an embattled clan of otters, young Tiria knows what she must do.
- Eulalia! – The aged Badger Lord of Salamandastron sends a young haremaid on a quest to find his successor Gorath—held captive by Vizka Longtooth and his scurrilous crew of Sea Raiders, bound for plunder and conquest.
- Doomwyte – On a moonless night, two rats follow hypnotic lights into the forest, never to be seen again. Such is the power of the Doomwytes, sinister ravens led by the deadly Korvus Skurr. And when the young mouse Bisky persuades the creatures of Redwall to go in search of a fabled treasure, they do not suspect Skurr and his ravens will be vying for the same prize…
- The Sable Quean – Buckler the hare, Blademaster of the Long Patrol, must save the youngsters of Redwall Abbey—kidnapped by the vile Vilaya the Sable Quean—and stop the villain’s conquest of Mossflower Wood.
- The Rogue Crew – Redwall Abbey has never seen a creature more evil or more hideous than Razzid Wearat. Captain of the Greenshroud, a ship with wheels that can sail through water as well as the forest, this beast is a terror of both land and sea, traveling Mossflower Country, killing nearly everything-and everyone- in his path. And his goal? To conquer Redwall Abbey.
II. In chronological order
- Lord Brocktree
- Martin the Warrior
- The Legend of Luke
- Outcast of Redwall
- Mariel of Redwall
- The Bellmaker
- The Pearls of Lutra
- The Long Patrol
- The Taggerung
- Rakkety Tam
- High Rhulain
- The Sable Quean
- The Rogue Crew