A shapeshifter in Washington State.
What is The Mercy Thompson series about?
Written by American writer Patricia Briggs, The Mercy Thompson series and the Mercyverse is a fantasy series about a shapeshifter in a werewolf world.
Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson is a “Walker” raised by werewolves—until the pack ran her off for having a forbidden love affair. Now, she uses her talent to fix cars and runs a one-woman auto mechanic’s garage in Kennewick, Washington. She also uses her particular powers to help werewolves, vampires or faes, voluntarily or not.
Mercy Thompson Books in Order:
I. The main Mercy Thompson series in order
- Moon Called – Mercy Thompson’s two worlds are colliding. A teenage boy arrives at her shop looking for work, only to reveal that he’s a newly changed werewolf. Mercy asks her neighbor Adam Hauptman, the Alpha of the local werewolf pack, for assistance. But Mercy’s act of kindness has unexpected consequences that leave her no choice but to seek help from those she once considered family—the werewolves who abandoned her…
- Blood Bound – Mercy Thompson has friends in low places—and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind. But this new vampire is hardly ordinary—and neither is the demon inside of him.
- Iron Kissed – Though Mercy Thompson can shift her shape into that of a coyote, her loyalty never wavers. So when her former boss and mentor, Zee, asks for her help, she’s there for him. A series of murders has rocked a fae reservation, and Zee needs her unique gifts, namely her coyote sense of smell, to sniff out the killer.
- Bone Crossed – Marsilia, the local vampire queen, has learned that Mercy Thompson crossed her by slaying a member of her clan—and she’s out for blood. But since Mercy is protected from direct reprisal by the werewolf pack (and her close relationship with its sexy Alpha), it won’t be Mercy’s blood Marsilia is after. It’ll be her friends’.
- Silver Borne – When Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she’d previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge—and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn’t take enough of Mercy’s attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side—leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam’s life forfeit.
- River Marked – Being a different breed of shapeshifter—a walker—Mercy Thompson can see ghosts, but the spirit of her long-gone father has never visited her. Until now. An evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River—and innocent people are dying. As other walkers make their presence known to Mercy, she must reconnect with her heritage to exorcise the world of the legend known as the river devil.
- Frost Burned – Mercy Thompson’s life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Alpha werewolf Adam Hauptman has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy’s life. But on the edges of humanity, what passes for a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more…
- Night Broken – When her mate’s ex-wife storms back into their lives, Mercy Thompson knows something isn’t right. Christy has the furthest thing from good intentions—she wants Adam back, and she’s willing to do whatever it takes to get him, including turning the pack against Mercy.
- Fire Touched – Tensions between the fae and humans are coming to a head. And when coyote shapeshifter Mercy Thompson and her Alpha werewolf mate, Adam, are called upon to stop a rampaging troll, they find themselves with something that could be used to make the fae back down and forestall out-and-out war: a human child stolen long ago by the fae.
- Silence Fallen – Attacked and abducted in her home territory, Mercy Thompson finds herself in the clutches of the most powerful vampire in the world, taken as a weapon to use against Adam and the ruler of the Tri-Cities vampires. In coyote form, Mercy escapes–only to find herself without money, without clothing, and alone in a foreign country.
- Storm Cursed – A few months ago, Mercy Thompson has taken responsibility for the safety of the citizens who live in her territory. Her home was viewed as neutral ground, a place where humans would feel safe to come and treat with the fae. But now, as generals and politicians face off with the Gray Lords of the fae, a storm is coming, and her name is Death.
- Smoke Bitten – Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill—until she locked her doors against them. They left behind their great castles and troves of magical artifacts. They abandoned their prisoners and their pets. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures who remained behind roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived. Now one of those prisoners has escaped.
II. The Alpha and Omega series
This is a stand-alone series taking place in the Mercyverse that follows Anna, an empathetic werewolf, and Charles Cornick, the enforcer of the North American werewolves. “Alpha and Omega” occurs before the events of Mercy’s story. Then, starting with “Cry Wolf”, which is set right after the events of “Moon Called”, the series run parallel.
- On The Prowl: Alpha & Omega (novella) – The werewolf Anna finds a new sense of self when the son of the werewolf king comes to town to quell unrest in the Chicago pack—and inspires a power in Anna she’s never felt before. Also collected in Shifting Shadows.
- Cry Wolf – Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country is about to recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.
- Hunting Ground – Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran’s controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan—and it seems like someone else might be, too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all—or risk losing everything…
- Fair Game – When the FBI requests the pack’s help on a local serial-killer case, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston to join the investigation. It soon becomes clear that someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer’s sights…
- Dead Heat – Charles and Anna discover that a dangerous fae being is on the loose, replacing human children with simulacrums. The fae have started a cold war with humanity that’s about to heat up—and Charles and Anna are in the crossfire.
- Burn Bright – With their Alpha out of the country, Charles and Anna are on call when an SOS comes in from the fae mate of one such wildling. Heading into the mountainous wilderness, they interrupt the abduction of the wolf–but can’t stop blood from being shed. Now Charles and Anna must use their skills to track down the attackers.
III. The Mercyverse in Chronological Order
The Mercyverse contains two series: Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega, but also a number of short stories and graphic novels. Here is a full chronological order for the series.
Most of the short stories are collected in the book Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.
- Silver (novella)
- HomeComing (graphic novel)
- Gray (short story)
- Fairy Gifts (short story)
- Seeing Eye (short story)
- Moon Called
- Alpha & Omega (novella)
- Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega)
- Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega)
- Star of David (short story)
- Blood Bound
- Iron Kissed
- Bone Crossed
- Roses in Winter (short story)
- Silver Borne
- In Red with Pearls (short story)
- River Marked
- Fair Game (Alpha & Omega)
- Frost Burned
- Unappreciated Gifts (short story)
- Redemption (short story)
- Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega)
- Hopcross Jilly (graphic novel)
- Night Broken
- Hollow (short story)
- Fire Touched
- Silence Fallen
- Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega)
- Storm Cursed
- Smoke Bitten