Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
All of the books!
Who is Mark Pryor?
Mark Pryor is a British writer who now lives in Austin, Texas (since the 1990s in fact). He is currently an Assistant District Attorney with the Travis County DA’s office.
Yes, Mark Pryor is prosecuting criminals while writing crime novels. He is mostly known for his Hugo Marston series about a former FBI agent working at the US Embassy in Paris, but he also wrote the Hollow Man series, contributed to mystery anthologies, and even wrote a true-crime novel.
Mark Pryor Books in Order:
The Hugo Marston Series
Launched in 2012, the series is about Hugo Marston, a former FBI profiler who’s now working as the security chief at the American Embassy in Paris where he investigates criminal cases in the capital of France that involve American citizens. More information can be found in our Hugo Marston reading order.
- The Button Man (2014) – PREQUEL! Originally published after The Blood Promise.
- The Bookseller (2012)
- The Crypt Thief (2013)
- The Blood Promise (2014)
- The Reluctant Matador (2015)
- The Paris Librarian (2016)
- The Sorbonne Affair (2017)
- The Book Artist (2019)
- The French Widow (2020)
Hollow Man Books in Order
- Hollow Man (2015) – Dominic is a prosecutor, a musician, and an Englishman living in Texas. He’s also a psychopath. His main goal is to hide his condition and lead a seemingly normal life in hopes to pay off his debts and become a full-time musician in Austin’s club scene. But on one lousy day his carefully-controlled world starts to shatter: he’s demoted at work and accused of stealing a fellow musician’s song. He also meets a beautiful woman in a lime green dress–perhaps the biggest threat to his safety of all. At her urging, Dominic hatches a plan to steal a van he knows will be filled with cash. He picks two friends as accomplices, insisting on no guns and no violence. But a security guard catches them in the act and simple theft turns into capital murder.
- Dominic (2018) – Only two other people know that Dominic, a charming Englishman, prosecutor, and musician in Austin, Texas, is also a psychopath. They also know that a year ago he got away with murder. One of those people is his “special lady,” and the other is her brother, a teenager and fellow psychopath called Bobby. When a wily homicide detective starts digging up that past murder, little Bobby offers to take care of the problem–permanently.
The Henri Lefort Mysteries
- Die Around Sundown (2022) – Summer 1940: In German-occupied Paris, Inspector Henri Lefort has been given just five days to solve the murder of a German major that took place in the Louvre Museum. Blocked from the crime scene but given a list of suspects, Henri encounters a group of artists, including Pablo Picasso, who know more than they’re willing to share. With the clock ticking, Henri must uncover a web of lies while overcoming impossible odds to save his own life and prove his loyalty to his country. Will he rise to the task or become another tragic story of a tragic time?
- The Dark Edge of Night (2023) – Winter 1940: With soldiers parading down the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Nazi flags dangling from the Arc de Triomphe, and the Eiffel Tower defaced with German propaganda, Parisians have little to celebrate as Christmas approaches. Police Inspector Henri Lefort’s wishes for a quiet holiday season are dashed when the Gestapo orders him to investigate the disappearance of Dr. Viktor Brandt, a neurologist involved in a secret project at one of Paris’s hospitals.
Other Novels by Mark Pryor
- Lone Star Lawless (2017) – Join the award-winning Austin Mystery Writers and friends as they explore the dark side of the Lone Star State. These thirteen talented authors penned fourteen tales of cowboys and criminals, girlfriends and grifters, morticians, motel clerks, and even a big, bad wolf! Also with Gale Albright, Alexandra Burt, V P Chandler, Kaye George, Janice Hamrick, Scott Montgomery, Laura Oles, Terry Shames and Kathy Waller.
- The Hot Seat (2019) – with Manning Wolfe as part of the Bullet Books Speed Reads series. Law professor Oliver Kendall – British transplant to Duke University – is asked by former student Emma Russo to second chair the defense on a death penalty case. A vagrant stole the victim’s wallet, and thinks he found a large diamond. He’s charged with killing a newspaper reporter who was working a controversial story. As other suspects emerge, Oliver and Emma must discern whether their client is guilty or innocent. Can the lawyers solve the mystery, or will their homeless client end up on death row?
- As She Lay Sleeping (2013) -A True Crime. Savagely attacked as she lay sleeping on the sofa, Natalie Antonetti’s skull was shattered. Bizarrely, she was able to move about her apartment, changed clothes and tried to speak to her son. Her words never came. Two weeks later she was dead. The only lead was a neighbor who claimed to have seen a shadowy figure wielding a child’s baseball bat an hour prior to the attack. Despite a wide search for leads and questioning some suspects, the police were unable to find anyone who matched the description and the case grew cold.
If you like Mark Pryor’s work, especially on the Hugo Marston series, you may also want to see our Bruno, Chief of Police reading order, or our Maggie Hope reading order. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.