Not all Val McDermid’s protagonists are cops. Some are journalists and amateur sleuths.
Who is Lindsay Gordon?
Lindsay Gordon is the heroine of Scottish author Val McDermid’s first series. A Freelance journalist in need of cash and a lesbian, Lindsay is the kind of woman trying to do the best and often getting into the worst. Her work as a reporter takes Lindsay into different worlds.
Each book explores current issues of the time they were published and also offers a portrayal of Lindsay’s lesbian life, as well as her up and down in her career.
Lindsay Gordon Books in Order:
- Report For Murder – Freelance journalist Lindsay Gordon is strapped for cash. Why else would she agree to cover a fund-raising gala at a girls’ public school? But when the star attraction is found garrotted with her own cello string minutes before she is due on stage, Lindsay finds herself investigating a vicious murder.
- Common Murder – A protest group hits the headlines when unrest at a women’s peace camp explodes into murder. Already on the scene, journalist Lindsay Gordon desperately tries to strike a balance between personal and professional responsibilities.
- Deadline For Murder/Final Edition – A colleague and ex-lover is dead. Murdered. A colleague and friend has been tried, convicted, and imprisoned for this murder. An estranged lover is romantically enmeshed with the lover of the convicted murderer. These are the not-so-pleasant surprises awaiting Lindsay Gordon on her return from her self-imposed exile following the messy aftermath of her last investigation.
- Conferences Are Murder/Union Jack – When union leader Tom Jack falls to his death from her bedroom window after a spectacularly public row with Lindsay, it seems the only way to prove her innocence is to find the real culprit. Lindsay searches among hundreds of unruly union delegates for a murderer who may have struck once before.
- Booked For Murder – Lindsay Gordon investigates the murder of a bestselling author and discovers that, beneath the glittering facade, the London publishing world is a hotbed of seething rivalries, soured relationships and desperate power plays
- Hostage To Murder – For Lindsay Gordon, jobless in Glasgow, her introduction to young freelance journalist Rory McLaren is the opening of a new chapter in her life. Rory’s invitation to work alongside her in her booth at the Cafe Virginia is irresistible. When a local car-dealer’s stepson is kidnapped, Lindsay and Rory are invited to trade journalism for detection. Soon, it becomes clear that Lindsay and Rory have stumbled into a bigger, more violent piece of business than either of them could have guessed – and one which will test Lindsay to her absolute limits.