Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
All of Kim Harrison’s Books in Order!
Who is Kim Harrison?
Born in 1966, Dawn Cook is most known under her pen name Kim Harrison, the author of the New York Times #1 best-selling Hollows series. Describing herself as a “former tomboy”, Kim Harrison grew up in a family of boys in the Midwest where the possibility of becoming a writer didn’t cross her mind.
As she loved reading science-fiction and fairy tales when she was younger, Kim Harrison’s writing was influenced by a mix of genres. After years of struggling as an aspiring author, Harrison finally met her agent at a writing convention, and he introduced her to Diana Gill, her now-editor.
Her first book, Dead Witch Walking, was published in 2004. Today, she is recognized as one of the most influential creators of urban fantasy.
How to read Kim Harrison’s Books in Order?
The Hollows universe (also called the Rachel Morgan series)
In a futuristic Cincinnati where a virus killed a great many humans, Rachel Morgan is a witch and a bounty hunter who collaborates with local law enforcement and fights perils both normal and otherworldly in nature. For more details, go to the Hollows reading order.
- The Turn: The Hollows begins with Death (2017)
- Blood Work — Graphic novel (2011)
- Blood Crime — Graphic novel (2012)
- Dead Witch Walking (2004)
- The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (2005)
- Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil (2006)— short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Every Which Way But Dead (2005)
- A Fistful of Charms (2006)
- Dirty Magic (2008) — short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- For a Few Demons More (2007)
- The Bridges of Eden Park (2007) — short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel (2007) — short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- The Outlaw Demon Wails (2008)
- The Bespelled (2008) — short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- White Witch, Black Curse (2009)
- Ley Line Drifter (2009) — short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Black Magic Sanction (2010)
- Pale Demon (2011)
- The Hollows Insider: New fiction, facts, maps, murders, and more in the world of Rachel Morgan (2011)
- A Perfect Blood (2012)
- Million-Dollar Baby (2012) — short story published in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
- Ever After (2013)
- Trouble on Reserve (2012)— short story published in Ever After
- The Undead Pool (2014)
- The Witch with No Name (2014)
- Sudden Backtrack (2014) — short story
- Waylaid (2016) — Rachel Morgan of The Hollows meets Peri Reed of The Drafter in this short story
- American Demon (2020)
- Million Dollar Demon (2021)
- Trouble with the Cursed (2022)
- Demons of Good and Evil (2023)
The Madison Avery Trilogy
- Once Dead, Twice Shy (2009) — Madison’s prom was killer – literally. For some reason, she’s been targeted by a dark reaper intent on getting rid of her, body and soul. But before the reaper could finish the job, Madison was able to snag his strange, glowing amulet and get away. Now she’s stuck on Earth – dead but not gone. Somehow the amulet gives her the illusion of a body, allowing her to toe the line between life and death. She still doesn’t know why the dark reaper is after her, but she’s not about to just sit around and let fate take its course. With a little ingenuity, some light-bending, and the help of a light reaper, her cute crush, and oh yeah, her guardian angel, Madison’s ready to take control of her own destiny once and for all, before it takes control of her…
- Early to Death, Early to Rise (2010) — Madison has learned that she’s the dark timekeeper, in charge of angels who follow the murky guidelines of fate. Never one to abide by the rules, she decides it’s time for a major change to the system. With the help of some unlikely allies, Madison forms a rogue group of reapers who definitely don’t adhere to the rules of the heavens. But as she grapples with the terrifying new skills that come with being a timekeeper, Madison realizes she may not be prepared for what lies ahead—unless she gets some seriously divine intervention.
- Something Deadly This Way Comes (2011) — Madison feels caught between the light and the dark, and between her real life and her timekeeper status. When she has the opportunity to get her body back—to be alive again—she faces her most difficult decision yet. If she claims it, she could return to being a normal girl—and have a chance at a real relationship with Josh. But would having the one thing she wants most in the world also mean giving up everything she’s worked so hard for?
The Peri Reed Chronicles
- A Very Peri Reed Thanksgiving (2016) — A Very short story (unavailable at this time) about how Peri Reed met and fell in love with her BFF Carnac the cat.
- Sideswiped (2015) — Silas’s radical theory that drafters are not replaying time as much as they are temporarily sliding into an alternate universe has never been well-received, but frankly, the darling of Opti’s research has enough clout not to care, until a professor with a grudge tries to put a permanent end to it. Love can’t alter time, and sometimes, even being able to rub out a single mistake isn’t enough…
- The Drafter (2015) — Detroit 2030. Don’t forgive and never forget has always been Peri’s creed. But her day job makes it difficult: she is a drafter, possessed of a rare, invaluable skill for altering time, yet destined to forget both the history she changed and the history she rewrote. When Peri discovers her name is on a list of corrupt operatives, she realizes that her own life has been manipulated by the agency. Her memory of the previous three years erased, she joins forces with a mysterious rogue soldier in a deadly race to piece together the truth about her fateful final task. Her motto has always been only to kill those who kill her first. But with nothing but intuition to guide her, will she have to break her own rule to survive?
- Waylaid (2016) — Peri Reed meets Rachel Morgan of The Hollows in this short story
- The Operator (2016) — Betrayed by the man she thought she loved and the agency who turned her into the very thing she fought against, Peri abandoned the wealth and privilege of Opti for anonymity riddled with memory gaps and self-doubt. But when a highly addictive drug promises to end her dependency on those who’d use her as a tool for their own success, she must choose to remain broken and vulnerable, or return to the above-the-law power and prestige she once left: strong but without will—for whoever holds her next fix, will hold her loyalty.
Kim Harrison’s Standalone Novels
- Perfunctory Affection (2019) — Meg wants a normal life. Her new artistic style, born in the depression of her mother’s death, is poised to take the art world by storm, if she could just overcome the debilitating anxiety caused by the car accident that scarred her boyfriend, Austin. Encouraged by her therapist, Meg pushes outside her comfort zone to befriend Haley, a guest instructor at the university where Meg teaches. Haley is everything Meg wants to be: charismatic, confident, and perfect, but when Austin expresses his worry that Haley is changing Meg too fast, Meg kicks him out of her life. Or at least, she tries…
- Three Kinds of Lucky (2023) – The First in the new Shadow Age Series. Petra Grady has known since adolescence that she has no talent for magic—and that’s never going to change. But as a sweeper first-class, she’s parlayed her rare ability to handle dross—the damaging, magical waste generated by her more talented kin’s spellwork—into a decent life working at the mages’ university. Except Grady’s relatively predictable life is about to be upended. When the oblivious, sexy, and oh-so-out-of-reach Benedict Strom needs someone with her abilities for a research project studying dross and how to render it harmless, she’s stuck working on his team—whether she wants to or not.
Novels Written as Dawn Cook
The Truth Series
A coming-of-age fantasy series featuring Alissa, a young novice in the art of magic, who embarks on an epic journey of discovery and danger.
- First Truth (2002)
- Hidden Truth (2002)
- Forgotten Truth (2003)
- Lost Truth (2004)
The Decoy Princess Series
The Princess Contessa of Constenopolie has just learned of her true identity-that of an orphan adopted and raised as a decoy to protect the real princess. That doesn’t make Contessa less of a royal target.
- The Decoy Princess (2005)
- Princess at Sea (2006)
If you like Kim Harrison’s books, you may also want to take a look at our Patricia Briggs reading order, or Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.