Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
All of John Gwynne’s Books…
Who is John Gwynne?
John Gwynne is an award-winning British (but born in Singapore) author of fantasy series, but also a Viking re-enactor! He studied and lectured at Brighton University, he’s been in a rock ‘n’ roll band, playing the double bass, traveled the USA, and lived in Canada for a time.
He is married with children (and multiple dogs) and lives in Eastbourne, East Sussex, running a small family business rejuvenating vintage furniture.
Gwynne is mostly known for his “The Faithful and the Fallen” series, and the “Of Blood and Bone” series. His last series is The Bloodsworn Saga.
John Gwynne Books in Order:
I. Faithful and the Fallen Reading Order
This epic fantasy series is set in the Banished Lands, a place with a violent past where armies of men and giants clashed in battle, and where the earth is running dark with their heartsblood.
- Malice (2012) – Young Corban watches enviously as boys become warriors, learning the art of war. He yearns to wield his sword and spear to protect his king’s realm. But that day will come all too soon. Only when he loses those he loves will he learn the true price of courage.
- Valour (2014) – The Banished Lands are torn by war as the army of High King Nathair sweeps the realm challenging all who oppose his holy crusade. Allied with the manipulative Queen Rhin of Cambren, there are few who can stand against him. But Rhin is playing her own games and has her eyes on a far greater prize…
- Ruin (2015) – The Banished Lands are engulfed in war and chaos. Corban has been swept along by the tide of war. He has suffered, lost loved ones, sought only safety from the darkness. But he will run no more. He has seen the face of evil and he has set his will to fight it. The question is, how?
- Wrath (2016) – Events are coming to a climax in the Banished Lands, as the war reaches new heights. Corban has been captured by the warrior giants who ride enormous bears into battle. His Warband scattered, Corban must make new allies to survive. But can he bond with competing factions of warlike giants? Somehow he must, to counter the threat Nathair represents.
II. Of Blood & Bone Series in Order
Set in the same world as the Faithful and the Fallen quartet, this sequel takes place one hundred years after the end of Wrath.
- A Time of Dread (2018) – A race of warrior angels, the Ben-Elim, once vanquished a mighty demon horde. Now they rule the Banished lands, but their peace is brutally enforced. In the south, hotheaded Riv is desperate to join the Ben-Elim’s peacekeeping force, until she unearths a deadly secret. In the west, the giantess Sig investigates demon sightings and discovers signs of an uprising and black magic. And in the snowbound north, Drem, a trapper, finds mutilated corpses in the forests. The work of a predator, or something far darker?
- A Time of Blood (2019) – As the demonic forces multiply, they send a mighty host to overthrow the angel’s stronghold. Like heroes of old, Drem, Riv, and the Bright Star’s warriors must battle to save themselves and save their land. But can the light triumph when the dark is rising?
- A Time of Courage (2020) – The demon-king Asroth is free of his iron prison, and the whole of the Banished Lands stands on the brink of domination. With the Ben-Elim broken and routed, half-breed Riv and a small band of comrades must try to find a way to strike at the demon forces.
III. Bloodsworn Books in Order
Set in a Norse-inspired world, and packed with myth, magic, and bloody vengeance, Bloodsworn is an epic fantasy saga.
- The Shadow of the Gods (2021) – A century has passed since the gods fought and drove themselves to extinction. Now only their bones remain, promising great power to those brave enough to seek them out. As whispers of war echo across the land of Vigrið, fate follows in the footsteps of three warriors: a huntress on a dangerous quest, a noblewoman pursuing battle fame, and a thrall seeking vengeance among the mercenaries known as the Bloodsworn. All three will shape the fate of the world as it once more falls under the shadow of the gods.
- The Hunger of the Gods (2022) – Lik-Rifa, the dragon god of legend, has been freed from her eternal prison. Now she plots a new age of blood and conquest. As Orka continues the hunt for her missing son, the Bloodsworn sweep south in a desperate race to save one of their own–and Varg takes the first steps on the path of vengeance. Elvar has sworn to fulfill her blood oath and rescue a prisoner from the clutches of Lik-Rifa and her dragonborn followers, but first, she must persuade the Battle-Grim to follow her. Yet even the might of the Bloodsworn and Battle-Grim cannot stand alone against a dragon god.
IV. Other John Gwynne books in publication order
- Legends 2, Stories in Honour of David Gemmell (2015) – anthology dedicated to David Gemmell with a contribution from John Gwynne (“An Oath Given“).
- The Scent of Tears (2018) – an anthology collecting works from multiple authors of fantasy, like the short story The Message written by John Gwynne.
- Art of War: Anthology for Charity (2018) – war-themed anthology collecting short stories from 40 authors, including John Gwynne, published for Charity.
- Unfettered III: New Tales By Masters of Fantasy (2019) – yet another anthology containing a short story by John Gwynne.
If you like our article about reading John Gwynne books in order, don’t forget to bookmark it! You may also want to see our Joe Abercrombie Reading Order or our Kingkiller Chronicle Reading Order.