Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
Welcome to Gertrude Hunt!
What is the Innkeeper Chronicles series about?
Written by Ilona Andrews (pen name used by Ilona Gordon and her husband Andrew Gordon), the Innkeeper Chronicles is an Urban Fantasy series.
This is the story of Dina DeMille, an innkeeper. Her inn is a living entity that defies laws of physics, her fluffy dog is secretly a monster, and the only paying guest is a former Galactic tyrant with a price on her head. Then there are practical matters of space vampire knights, elite werewolf soldiers, and philosopher space chickens.
Most of the books in the Innkeeper Chronicles are focused on Dina, but Sweep of the Blade revolves around Maud Demille, Dina’s sister.
How to read the Innkeeper Chronicles Reading Order?
Innkeeper Chronicles is a series of serialized novels posted for free on Ilona Andrews’ website. When the story is concluded, all the posts are put together and edited before being released as an ebook.
- Clean Sweep (2013) — On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is…different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can’t leave the grounds because she’s responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night…
- Sweep in Peace (2015) — The inn needs guests to thrive and guests have been scarce, so when an Arbitrator shows up at Dina’s door and asks her to host a peace summit between three warring species, she jumps on the chance. Unfortunately, for Dina, bridging the gap between space vampires, the Hope-Crushing Horde, and the merchants of Baha-char is much easier said than done.
- One Fell Sweep (2016) — Dina DeMille must rescue her long-distant older sister, Maud, who’s been exiled with her family to a planet that functions as the most lawless penal colony since Botany Bay. Then she agrees to help a guest whose last chance at saving his civilization could bring death and disaster to all Dina holds dear. Now Gertrude Hunt is under siege by a clan of assassins. To keep her guests safe and to find her missing parents, Dina will risk everything, even if she has to pay the ultimate price.
- Sweep of the Blade (2019) — Maud DeMille is a daughter of Innkeepers—a special group who provide ‘lodging’ to other-planetary visitors—so she knows that a simple life isn’t in the cards. But even Maud could never have anticipated what Fate would throw at her. In helping Dina save the world, she met Arland, the Marshal of House Krahr, one of the most powerful vampire houses. One thing led to another and he asked for her hand in marriage. She declined. Arland is not used to hearing the word ‘no;’ and try as she might, Maud can’t just walk away from Arland. To sort it all out, she accepts his invitation to visit his home planet.
- Sweep with Me (2020) — short novella. Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet] Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone. All Dina hopes is that the guests and conduct themselves in a polite manner. But what’s a holiday without at least one disaster?
- Sweep of the Heart (2022) – Life is busier than ever for Innkeeper, Dina DeMille and Sean Evans. But it’s about to get even more chaotic when Sean’s werewolf mentor is kidnapped. To find him, they must host an intergalactic spouse-search for one of the most powerful rulers in the Galaxy. Dina is never one to back down from a challenge. That is, if she can manage her temperamental Red Cleaver chef; the consequences of her favorite Galactic ex-tyrant’s dark history; the tangled politics of an interstellar nation, and oh, yes, keep the wedding candidates from a dozen alien species from killing each other. Not to mention the Costco lady.
If you like our article about reading the Innkeeper Chronicles series in order, don’t forget to bookmark it!
This article was last updated on May 12, 2023.