An owl’dventure for the children.
What is the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series about?
Guardians of Ga’Hoole is a fantasy book series written by American author Kathryn Lasky and published by Scholastic.
This series follows the adventures of a young barn owl named Soren-and then other owls. In a war between Good and Evil, the Great Ga’Hoole Tree, a mythical place where an order of owls rises each night to perform noble deeds, must be protected. Soren, his friends and mentor fight for the good and the tree.
The first three books of the series were adapted into the animated film directed by Zack Snyder titled “Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole.”
How to read the Guardians of Ga’Hoole Books in Order?
- The Capture – Soren is born in the forest of Tyto, a tranquil kingdom where the Barn Owls dwell. But evil lurks in the owl world, evil that threatens to change Soren’s life forever. Soren is captured and taken to a dark and forbidding canyon where there is a mysterious school. It’s called an orphanage, but Soren believes it’s something far worse. He and his new friend, the clever and scrappy Gylfie, find out that the orphanage is actually a training camp. To escape, they will need to do something these fledglings have never done before–fly.
- The Journey – Soren, Gylfie, Twilight, and Digger travel to the Great Ga’Hoole Tree, a mythical place where an order of owls rises each night to perform noble deeds. Soren and his group are seeking help to fight the evil they discovered in the owl world. After a harrowing journey, they arrive at the Great Ga’Hoole Tree and learn they will need to stay to receive training from the Ga’Hoolian elders.
- The Rescue – Now that Soren has been reunited with his sister, Eglantine, he must face his next challenge: making sense of the mysterious disappearance of his mentor, Ezylryb. When Soren discovers that Ezylryb is in danger, he and his friends Gylfie, Twilight, and Digger devise a plan to save the beloved teacher.
- The Siege – Soren’s beloved mentor, Ezylryb, is finally back at the Great Ga’Hoole Tree. But all is not well. There’s a war between good and evil in the owl kingdom. On one side is a group led by Soren’s fearsome brother, Kludd, who wears a terrifying metal mask to cover his battle-scarred face. On the other side are the owls of the Great Ga’Hoole Tree, who must fight to protect their legendary tree from Kludd’s attacks.
- The Shattering – In the midst of war, Soren’s sister, Eglantine, unwittingly becomes a spy for Kludd, leader of the Pure Ones, a group of evil owls. She is brainwashed by an owl sent by the Pure Ones to infiltrate the Great Ga’Hoole Tree. Her odd behavior eventually attracts attention, and Soren and his friends vow to find out what’s wrong with Eglantine.
- The Burning – Soren and his band are sent to the mysterious Northern Kingdoms to gather allies and learn the art of war in preparation for the coming cataclysmic battle against the sinister Pure Ones. Meanwhile, in the Southern Kingdoms, St. Aggie’s has fallen to the Pure Ones, and they are using its resources to plan a final invasion of the Great Ga’Hoole Tree.
- The Hatchling – Ga’Hoole is victorious, but far from the great tree, in the bitter ashes of defeat under a full moon, Nyroc is born. And he will be bred to monstrous evil. Kludd is dead. Nyra, his mate, is determined that her hatchling, Nyroc, will fulfill his father’s destiny: the vicious oppression of all the owl kingdoms.
- The Outcast – To prove his goodness, young Nyroc will renounce his name, his mother, and his inheritance to seek the holiest of relics from The Beyond the Beyond. Nyroc has exiled himself from the Pure Ones. He flies alone, feared and despised by those who know him as Kludd’s son, hunted by those whose despotism he has rejected, and haunted by ghostly creatures conjured by Nyra to lure him back to the Pure Ones. He yearns for a place he only half believes in — the great tree — and an uncle — the near-mythic Soren — who might be a true father to him.
- The First Collier – It is a time of Legends and a time of chaos. Warlords vie for power and marauding outlaws roam the land. Good King Hrath and his queen, Siv, noble Spotted Owls struggle to keep peace in their kingdom. Grank, noble Spotted Owl, friend and supporter of King Hrath, has exiled himself to Beyond the Beyond, where he has developed his firesight and learns how to work with embers, fire and how to forge metals. He is the First Collier. Deep in a volcano in the farthest reaches of Beyond the Beyond, he discovers a magical Ember but fears its awful powers will be misused and hides it again. (continued)
- The Coming of Hoole – Grank raises the hatchling deep in a forest far from owls that would kill the royal chick named Hoole to end the kingly line. His mother comes to visit, in disguise, and departs again. Not even the chick must know his mother’s identity. It would give him away as Hrath’s heir. Sent by an evil warlord, a hagsfiend attempts to lure young Hoole away when he first learns to fly. Grank realizes that the same evil forces that killed Hrath are after Hoole, and know where he is. To keep him safe, Grank brings him to Beyond the Beyond, a strange land of fiery volcanoes in a barren, icy landscape.(more)
- To Be a King – Hoole reclaims the thrown of his father and goes on to wage a war against the forces of chaos, greed and oppression led by the powerful warlord-tyrants. Grank, the first collier, uses his skills with fire and metals to forge weapons for battle. With great trepidation, Hoole uses the power of the Ember in the final, decisive battle and wins. At the dawn of a new ear of peace, Hoole searches for the ideal place to establish not a kingdom but an order of free owls and finds the Great Tree. (continued)
- The Golden Tree – Soren, Twilight, Gyfie, and Digger face their biggest challenge as the young king, haunted by the suspicion that haggish blood is within him, hunts for the truth; and the ember that Coryn retrieved, causes the tree and the guardians to change.
- The River of Wind – Coryn and the Band have returned to the Great Ga’HooleTree and restored order. With the ember safely hidden away, the tree shakes off its gaudy golden glow and recovers its natural majesty. Meanwhile, deep in the Palace of Mists, Bess finds an ancient map fragment that reveals that there are not five owl kingdoms but six. Coryn and the Chaw of Chaws set off to find this unknown land.
- Exile – When the Striga, a mysterious owl from the Middle Kingdom, takes over young King Coryn’s mind and institutes a tyrannical new regime, the Band, exiled for their loyalty to Coryn, seek to free him and the kingdom from this threat.
- The War of the Ember – Unbeknowst to the Guardians, in a long-empty cave deep in the Northern Kingdoms two ruthless villains join forces to conjure an ancient evil, an evil that will do their bidding and wreak havoc on the world.
- The Rise of a Legend – An owlet hatches out onto Stormfast Island and into a world torn by war. For one hundred years, his people have fought off enemy owls from the Ice Talons, but the tide has turned. An invasion is coming, one the Kielian League won’t have the strength to resist. Soon the tyrant owl Bylyric will rule over everything, and no honorable owl will be safe.
If you like the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series, you may also want to check out The Redwall series or the Wings of Fire series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.