The Batman of the ’00s.
What is Grant Morrison’s Batman about?
Well, it’s about The Dark Knight, the Caped Crusader, the most famous vigilante of the world, but mostly of Gotham City, the alter ego of Bruce Wayne.
This is an epic saga written by author superstar Grant Morrison from 2006 to 2013, from the main Batman series to Batman Incorporated, from the introduction of Damian Wayne to the death and beyond. This is a must read run.
Grant Morrison Batman Reading Order:
- Batman the Black Casebook – Not by Grant Morrison, this book collects stories from the 1950s and 1960s that are heavily referenced during Morrison’s run on Batman. Not an mandatory reading, but a useful one.
- Batman and Son – Batman receives the shock of his life when he discovers that he has a son, Damian Wayne! Yes, this is the story that introduced Damian to the World. You can find more about him in his own reading guide. Collects Batman issues #655-658, #663-669 and #672-675.
- The Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul – This event story takes place during the Batman and Son one. More precisely, the issues written by Grant Morrison are Batman #670-671. The rest of this book collects all the issues from the other series, a worthwhile read, but if you only want Morrison Stuff, its a bit much. Also collects Robin #168-169, Detective Comics #838-839, Nightwing #138-139, Batman annual #26 and Robin annual #7.
- Batman R.I.P. – The continuation of the Batman and Son story. The troubled life of Bruce Wayne seems to spin out of control… This volume collects Batman #676-683 and DC Universe #0.
This omnibus collects Grant Morrison run on Batman. In the first volume, you’ll find Batman and Son and Batman R.I.P. but only the two issue of the Batman series from The Ressurection of Ra’s Al Ghul storyline – there are pages of explications for the rest of this particular story though.
Final Crisis – This is the massive event of the 2008. It was written by Grant Morrison and overlapped on Batman R.I.P. If you only want Batman Stories, you can skip Final Crisis.
In conclusion, this is optional in the context of a Batman read.
Batman: Battle for the Cowl – Another optional read if you only want Grant Morrison’s Batman, this event written by Tony Daniel features the battle to take on the Mantle of the Bat. Who has earned the right? Who thinks they deserve it? Robin? Nightwing? Jason Todd? Two-Face? Catwoman? Batgirl?
- Batman and Robin – There’s a new Dynamic Duo in town. Dick Grayson, the original Robin, has taken up the cape and cowl of his former partner, and Damian Wayne has become a deadly new Robin. Together, this masked Odd Couple must stop a rising tide of villainy whose savagery and brutality are unlike anything Gotham City has ever seen.
- Batman: Time and the Batman – A book to celebrate the Dark Knight’s milestone 700th issue featuring stories spotlighting each of the Batmen from different eras—Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne. Collects Batman #700-703.
- Batman the Return of Bruce Wayne – Bruce Wayne’s return to Gotham City to take back the mantle of Batman.
- Batman & Robin, Vol. 3: Batman & Robin Must Die – This volume collects Batman #13-16 and Batman: The Return #1.
As you may have guessed, this is the second omnibus and he collects the three volumes of Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison and of course the Return of Bruce Wayne storyline.
(Optional) Batman and Robin: Dark Knight vs White Night – In the optional category, not written by Grant Morrison, this book collects Batman & Robin #17-25 written by Paul Cornell, Pete Tomasi and Judd Winick. The story is about The Dark Knight and the Boy Wonder as they face multiple threats and villains new and old, including the mysterious White Knight, the villain Absence and the renegade Robin of the past.
- This is where Batman and Robin Vol. 2 by Peter J. Tomasi began.
- Batman Incorporated – Bruce Wayne publicly announces that he is the financial backer of Batman and establishes a worldwide franchise of Batmen that will protect the entire globe. Collects Batman Incorporated #1-8 and Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes! #1.
- Batman Incorporated New 52 – You know it, DC reboot!
This third and finale omnibus edition collects Batman Incorporated #18, Batman: The Return #1, Batman Incorporated #0-13, Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes #1 and Batman Incorporated Special #1.