Written by Steve Cavanagh, the Eddie Flynn series is the story of a con artist who became a lawyer. Eddie Flynn gave up the law a year ago after a disastrous case, and he vowed never to step foot in a courtroom again. One day, events lead Eddie to take a case, whether he likes it or not. Now, he’s working as a lawyer, which turns out is not that different from being a con artist.
How to read the Eddie Flynn Series in Order?
Every novel in the Eddie Flynn book series works as a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one story to the other.
- The Cross (a novella) – Eddie Flynn has an impossible choice. He has damning evidence against a corrupt NYPD detective who stands accused of killing a suspect. But if he uses this evidence in court, both he and his client – the dead man’s widow – will be in mortal danger.
- The Defence – Eddie Flynn used to be a con artist. Then he became a lawyer. Turned out the two weren’t that different. It’s been over a year since Eddie vowed never to set foot in a courtroom again. But now he doesn’t have a choice. Olek Volchek, the infamous head of the Russian mafia in New York, has strapped a bomb to Eddie’s back and kidnapped his ten-year-old daughter, Amy. Eddie only has forty-eight hours to defend Volchek in an impossible murder trial – and win – if he wants to save his daughter.
- The Plea – When David Child, a major client of a corrupt New York law firm, is arrested for murder, the FBI ask con artist-turned-lawyer Eddie Flynn to persuade him to testify against the firm. Eddie is not someone who is easily coerced, but when the FBI reveal that they have incriminating files on his wife, he knows he has no choice. But Eddie is convinced the man is innocent, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. With the FBI putting pressure on him to secure the deal, Eddie must find a way to prove his client’s innocence. But the stakes are high – his wife is in danger. And not just from the FBI . . .
- The Liar – Leonard Howell’s worst nightmare has come true: his daughter Caroline has been kidnapped. He can’t rely on the cops, so Howell calls the only man he trusts to get her back. Eddie Flynn knows what it’s like to lose a daughter and vows to bring Caroline home safe. Once a con artist, now a hotshot criminal attorney, Flynn is no stranger to the shady New York underworld. However, as he steps back into his old life, Flynn realizes that the rules of the game have changed – and that he is being played. But who is pulling the strings? And is anyone in this twisted case telling the truth…?
- Thirteen – Murder wasn’t the hard part. It was just the start of the game. Joshua Kane has been preparing for this moment his whole life. He’s done it before. But this is the big one. This is the murder trial of the century. And Kane has killed to get the best seat in the house. But there’s someone on his tail. Someone who suspects that the killer isn’t the man on trial. Kane knows time is running out – he just needs to get to the conviction without being discovered.
- Fifty-Fifty – Two sisters on trial for murder. They accuse each other. Who do you believe? ‘911 what’s your emergency?’ ‘My dad’s dead. My sister Sofia killed him. She’s still in the house. Please send help.’ ‘My dad’s dead. My sister Alexandra killed him. She’s still in the house. Please send help.’ One of them is a liar and a killer. But which one?
- The Devil’s Advocate – When a young woman, Skylar Edwards, is found murdered in Buckstown, Alabama, a corrupt sheriff arrests the last person to see her alive, Andy Dubois. It doesn’t seem to matter to anyone that Andy is innocent. Everyone in Buckstown believes Andy is guilty. He has no hope of a fair trial. And the local defense attorney assigned to represent him has disappeared. Hotshot New York lawyer Eddie Flynn travels south to fight fire with fire. He plans to destroy the prosecutor’s case, find the real killer, and save Andy from the electric chair. But the murders are just beginning.
- The Accomplice – The Sandman killings have been solved. Daniel Miller murdered fourteen people before he vanished. His wife, Carrie, now faces trial as his accomplice. The FBI, the District Attorney, the media, and everyone in America believe she knew and helped cover up her husband’s crimes. Now, Eddie Flynn has to prove to a jury, and the entire world, that Carrie Miller was just another victim of the Sandman. She didn’t know her husband’s dark side and she had no part in the murders. But so far, Eddie and his team are the only ones who believe her.
If you like reading Steve Cavanagh’s Eddie Flynn series, you may be interested in the books of John Grisham, Scott Turow, or Brad Meltzer…