Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
A Scholastic series about… dragons!
What is the Dragon Masters series about?
Written by children’s book author Tracey West—known for her Pokémon and SpongeBob SquarePants books—the Dragon Masters series is a Scholastic book series revolving around a boy and his Dragon!
The story is about Drake who, until he was chosen to train his very own dragon, never even thought dragons were real. But they are! Now, Drake must work and the other Dragon Masters at King Roland’s castle to keep the kingdom safe.
How to read the Dragon Masters Books in Order?
- Rise of the Earth Dragon – Eight-year-old Drake is snatched up by King Roland’s soldier and taken to the castle. He is to be trained as a Dragon Master. At the castle, he is joined by three other young Dragon Masters-in-training: Ana, Rori, and Bo. The Dragon Masters must learn how to connect with and train their dragons–and they must also uncover their dragons’ special powers. Does Drake have what it takes to be a Dragon Master? What is his dragon’s special power?
- Saving the Sun Dragon – Drake and the other three Dragon Masters (Ana, Rori, and Bo) continue their training. But Ana’s dragon, Kepri, is sick. The wizard tries to make her feel better, but his potions are not working. Drake’s dragon, Worm, must use his special powers to take the Dragon Masters across the world in search of a cure. What made Kepri sick? Will the Dragon Masters be able to save her? And what dangers will they face along the way?
- Secret of the Water Dragon – Someone is trying to steal the Dragon Stone. Drake soon discovers that the thief is his friend and fellow Dragon Master, Bo! Could the dark wizard somehow be behind this? The Dragon Masters must find a way to protect the Dragon Stone–and keep Bo’s family out of danger. Will the secret to solving their problems lie with Bo’s dragon, Shu? Drake is about to find out!
- Power of the Fire Dragon – The Dragon Masters are going to visit Queen Rose’s kingdom. But Rori and Drake must stay behind. Then a four-headed dragon attacks the castle–and Maldred is riding it! How is Maldred controlling this giant dragon? Will Rori and Drake have to battle the dark wizard on their own?
- Song of the Poison Dragon – The Dragon Masters are excited to meet the newest Dragon Master, Petra. But when she arrives at the castle, she doesn’t fit in right away. She’s a know-it-all, and she doesn’t even try to connect with her four-headed dragon! Could the Dragon Stone have chosen her by mistake? Then something terrible happens to the king. Petra will have to work with the other Dragon Masters to save him before it’s too late!
- Flight of the Moon Dragon – The Dragon Masters travel to the Land of Pyramids in search of the secret Pyramid of the Seven Dragons. There are several puzzles they’ll need to solve in order to reach the hidden stone. Will the Dragon Masters find the prime Dragon Stone in time?
- Search for the Lightning Dragon – The Dragon Masters have to track down the Lightning Dragon! But first, they need to find his Dragon Master — a boy named Carlos. The Lightning Dragon shoots dangerous sparks of energy! Will Carlos be able to connect with his wild dragon? Or does a darker master have plans for the Lightning Dragon?
- Roar of the Thunder Dragon – Drake and the rest of the Dragon Masters are searching for Lalo the baby Lightning Dragon! Lalo was kidnapped by Eko — Griffith’s first Dragon Master. Eko ran away with her Thunder Dragon, Neru, years ago. Now she’s back and she wants to kidnap every dragon in the kingdom! Can Drake and the other Dragon Masters rescue Lalo and stop Eko before it’s too late?
- Chill of the Ice Dragon – A Dragon Master named Mina arrives at the castle. She tells Drake and his friends that her kingdom in the Far North Lands was attacked by a magical Ice Giant. Everything there was frozen — but Mina escaped! Only a fire dragon can unfreeze her land and defeat the terrible Ice Giant. But Rori and Vulcan are no longer at the castle! Can the Dragon Masters find them in time to help their new friend?
- Waking the Rainbow Dragon – Drake has a strange dream about a Rainbow Dragon trapped in a cave. He wonders if the dream could be real… Is the dragon trying to send for help? Griffith the wizard uses the magical Dragon Stone to find out more — and a new Dragon Master is revealed! Drake and Ana must travel far in search of the new master and his dragon. But how will they find the secret cave from Drake’s dream? And why is the Rainbow Dragon trapped there? The Dragon Masters have a tough battle ahead of them!
- Shine of the Silver Dragon – The wizard Maldred is back! And Diego is under his dark spell! Drake learns that Maldred wants to control the Naga — an enormous dragon that lives deep within the Earth. Two keys are needed to control the Naga. The first key is guarded by a Silver Dragon named Argent. Drake, Bo, and Carlos must find Argent and stop Diego before it’s too late. But will Argent’s powerful Dragon Master Jean get in their way? The action is nonstop in this exciting, heavily illustrated early chapter book series!
- Treasure of the Gold Dragon – Maldred is after the powerful Gold Key! Drake and Rori travel to the lair of the Gold Dragon to help protect the key. There, they meet a new Dragon Master named Darma. If dark wizard Maldred gets his hands on the Gold Key, he will be one step closer to controlling a powerful Earthquake Dragon. Can the Dragon Masters stop him before it’s too late? The action is nonstop in this exciting, heavily illustrated early chapter book series!
- Eye of the Earthquake Dragon – Dark wizard Maldred has stolen the Gold and Silver Keys! With these keys, he can now control the Naga: a powerful dragon who can cause terrible earthquakes. The Naga lives in a secret temple in the center of the earth… and Maldred is on his way there! Drake and his friends Jean and Darma travel to the temple to try to stop him. What will they find there? Will the Dragon Masters defeat Maldred once and for all?
- The Land of the Spring Dragon – Drake’s kingdom is in trouble — a terrible earthquake has destroyed Bracken’s crops! A magical Spring Dragon has the power to save the kingdom and regrow the crops, but he lives deep inside a secret fairy world. To find the Spring Dragon, Drake must pass a series of tests given by a Dragon Master named Breen. But the fairy world is full of confusing tricks and mysterious riddles! Can Drake save his kingdom?
- Future of the Time Dragon – Eko is in trouble! The dark wizard Maldred has trapped her with a powerful spell. To free her, Drake and Rori must find the Time Dragon. But a sneaky imp sends Drake traveling back in time! Will Drake be able to save Eko… or will he be stuck in the past forever?
- Call of the Sound Dragon – Magic from a wizards’ battle is destroying the city of Remus! To stop this dangerous duel, Drake and Petra team up with a Dragon Master named Tessa. Tessa, who is blind, has a very special connection with her Sound Dragon, Sono. Together, the Dragon Masters will need to find a Power Crystal! Can they save the city?
- Fortress of the Stone Dragon – An evil wizard named Astrid is plotting to become the most powerful wizard in the world. She is collecting ingredients for a dangerous spell, and it is up to the Dragon Masters to stop her from casting it. Drake and Mina travel to the Fortress of the Stone Dragon to warn the Stone Dragon’s Dragon Master, Caspar, that Astrid is on her way there. But will the evil wizard’s dark magic overpower the Dragon Masters?
- Heat of the Lava Dragon – Evil wizard Astrid has trapped Drake’s friends in stone and she is getting closer to casting an even more dangerous spell! To stop her, Drake and Ana travel in search of Ka, a mysterious and greatly feared Lava Dragon. But who is Ka’s Dragon Master? Can a young girl find the dragon and stop Astrid — before it’s too late?
- Wave of the Sea Dragon – The evil wizard Astrid is ready to cast her dangerous False Life spell! To undo the spell, Drake and the other Dragon Masters will need the help of three special dragons — including a Sea Dragon. So Drake, Bo, and Opeli travel to the island of Kapua to find one. But the Dragon Masters have stolen something from Astrid… And Astrid will battle them to get it back!
- Howl of the Wind Dragon – Drake and Rori rush off to find a Wind Dragon — the final dragon needed to undo the False Life spell. But they soon learn that the Wind Dragon is being held captive! Can they rescue her and her Dragon Master, Quilla? They’ll need to hurry because evil wizard Astrid has already cast her terrible spell…
- Bloom of the Flower Dragon – A Flower Dragon named Wildroot has come to Bracken! He needs help because his home is in danger. The Dragon Masters must find this small dragon his own Dragon Master. The Dragon Stone reveals a boy named Oskar, who is disappointed that he does not have a big, fire-breathing dragon. Can Oskar and his dragon learn to work together in time to save the Flower Dragons from a terrible monster?
- Guarding the Invisible Dragons – A nest of baby Invisible Dragons has been discovered in Aragon and the babies’ parents are nowhere to be found! The baby dragons need to eat the fruit from the magical Dragon Tree to keep their invisible powers. But the tree grows on the dangerous Dove Island… Drake, Worm, and Carlos’ cousin Val must travel there to find the baby dragons’ parents and the fruit before the baby dragons lose their powers forever! Also, one of the baby dragons forms a close bond with Val. Could Val be a Dragon Master?
- Curse of the Shadow Dragon – A huge shadow is blanketing the sky, spreading across every kingdom. And wizards all over the world are losing their magic powers! The Dragon Masters soon discover that a Shadow Dragon named Chaya and his Dragon Master, Aruna, are responsible for the sky-shadow. Drake teams up with Jean to figure out how this Shadow Dragon has so much power. Will they stop the sky-shadow, or will the world fall into complete darkness? And is evil magic to blame for all this chaos?
- Griffith’s Guide for Dragon Masters (2019) – The official dragon guide. This 144-page, full-color special edition features maps, information about Dragon Masters and their dragons, notes from wizards, the history of Dragon Masters, and more! This book has everything a future Dragon Master could need to know!
If you like Dragon Masters, you may also want to see our Spirit Animals reading order, or our guide to the How To Train Your Dragon series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.