Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
From the creator of Captain Underpants.
What is the Dog Man series about?
Written American cartoonist, author and illustrator Dav Pilkey, Dog Man is a children’s book series about a new kind of canine hero.
The story of Dog Man began when, in an explosion by a bomb assembled by Petey the evil cat, Officer Knight and his police dog Greg got seriously injured. To save them, the doctors put Greg’s head on Knight’s body.
That’s how he became Dog Man. Now, part canine, part human, he fights crime and his nemesis, Petey.
Dog Man Books in Order:
- Dog Man – When Greg the police dog and his cop companion are injured on the job, a life-saving surgery changes the course of history, and Dog Man is born. With the head of a dog and the body of a human, this heroic hound has a real nose for justice. But can he resist the call of the wild to answer the call of duty?
- Dog Man Unleashed – Dog Man is still learning a few tricks of the trade. Petey the Cat is out of the bag, and his criminal curiosity is taking the city by storm. Something fishy is going on! Can Dog Man unleash justice on this ruffian in time to save the city, or will Petey get away with the purr-fect crime?
- Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties – He was the best of dogs… He was the worst of dogs… It was the age of invention… It was the season of surprise… It was the eve of supa sadness… It was the dawn of hope… Dog Man hasn’t always been a paws-itive addition to the police force. While he can muzzle miscreants, he tends to leave a slick of slobber in his wake! This time, Petey the Cat’s dragged in a tiny bit of trouble — a double in the form of a kitten clone. Dog Man will have to work twice as hard to bust these furballs and remain top dog!
- Dog Man and Cat Kid – Hot diggity dog! Dog Man is back — and this time he’s not alone. The heroic hound with a real nose for justice now has a furry feline sidekick, and together they have a mystery to sniff out! When a new kitty sitter arrives and a glamorous movie starlet goes missing, it’s up to Dog Man and Cat Kid to save the day! Will these heroes stay hot on the trail, or will Petey, the World’s Most Evil Cat, send them barking up the wrong tree?
- Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas – When a fresh bunch of baddies bust up the town, Dog Man is called into action — and this time he isn’t alone. With a cute kitten and a remarkable robot by his side, our heroes must save the day by joining forces with an unlikely ally: Petey, the World’s Most Evil Cat. But can the villainous Petey avoid vengeance and venture into virtue?
- Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild – Is Dog Man bad to the bone? The canine cop is sent to the pound for a crime he didn’t commit! While his pals work to prove his innocence, Dog Man struggles to find his place among dogs and people. Being a part of both worlds, will he ever fully fit in with one?
- Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls – The Supa Buddies have been working hard to help Dog Man overcome his bad habits. But when his obsessions turn to fears, Dog Man finds himself the target of an all-new supervillain! Meanwhile, Petey the Cat has been released from jail and starts a new life with Li’l Petey. But when Petey’s own father arrives, Petey must face his past and fight for who he loves.
- Dog Man: Fetch-22 – Petey the Cat is out of jail, and he has a brand-new lease on life. While Petey’s reevaluated what matters most, Li’l Petey is struggling to find the good in the world. Can Petey and Dog Man stop fighting like cats and dogs long enough to put their paws together and work as a team? They need each other now more than ever — Li’l Petey (and the world) is counting on them!
- Grime and Punishment – The Supa Buddies bamboozled the baddies, but all’s not right in the world. Dog Man has a new problem to pound, and he’s going to need his entire pack to help him. Will he go barking up the wrong tree?
- Mothering Heights – Dog Man is down on his luck, Petey confronts his not so purr-fect past, and Grampa is up to no good. The world is spinning out of control as new villains spill into town. Everything seems dark and full of despair. But hope is not lost. Can the incredible power of love save the day?
- Twenty Thousand Fleas Under the Sea (2023) – Piggy has returned, and his newest plot is his most diabolical yet. WHAT other new villains are on the horizon? WHERE are they all coming from? And WHO will step forward to save the city when scoundrels sabotage our Supa Buddies?
If you like Dog Man, you may also want to see our Captain Underpants reading order or our guide to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.