Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
By the author of the Kiesha’ra series.
What is the Den of Shadows series about?
Den of Shadows is a fantasy series written by American author Amelia Atwater-Rhodes set in the world of the Kiesha’ra series (in fact, the series is taking place before the Kiesha’ra).
As the author described it, Den of Shadows is set in a world that is similar to ours, but rich with magic (for good or ill). Complex civilizations of vampires, shapeshifters and witches live alongside humans- sometimes hiding, sometimes peacefully intermingling, and occasionally striving to dominate all those they consider their prey.
Den of Shadows Books in Order
- In the Forests of the Night – By day, Risika sleeps in a shaded room in Concord, Massachusetts. By night, she hunts the streets of New York City. She is used to being alone. But now someone is following Risika. Someone has left her a black rose, the same sort of rose that sealed her fate three hundred years ago. Three hundred years ago Risika had a family — a brother and a sister who loved her. Three hundred years ago she was human. Now she is a vampire, a powerful one. And her past has come back to torment her.
- Demon in My View – Jessica isn’t your average teenager. Though nobody at her high school knows it, she’s a published author. Her vampire novel Tiger, Tiger has just come out under the pen name Ash Night. Jessica often wishes she felt as comfortable with her classmates as she does among the vampires and witches of her fiction. She has always been treated as an outsider at Ramsa High.
- Shattered Mirror – Sarah Vida is a witch and a vampire hunter — and a loner. Christopher Ravena is a vampire trying to pass as a normal high school student who wants to know Sarah better. Drawn to him despite her better judgment, Sarah’s forced to admit that there’s room for gray in her otherwise black-and-white world of good versus evil — until she meets Nikolas, Christopher’s twin and one of the most hunted vampires in history.
- This is where The Maeve’ra Trilogy takes place (see below).
- Midnight Predator – Though she was once a happy teenager with a wonderful family and a full life, Turquoise Draka is now a hunter, committed to no higher purpose than making money and staying alive. In a deadly world of vampires, she’ll track any prey if the price is right. Her current assignment: to assassinate Jeshikah, one of the cruelest vampires in history. Her employer: an unknown contact who wants the job done fast. Her major obstacle: she’ll have to mask her strength and enter Midnight, a fabled Vampire realm, as a human slave.
- Persistence of Memory – Sixteen-year-old Erin Misrahe just wants to be like everyone else in her new school. But Erin has more to worry about than passing AP Chemistry or making friends. In times of stress, she has always been overcome by her alter ego, Shevaun, whose violent behavior wreaks havoc on those around her. Erin can never remember anything about these episodes, and she’s grateful to have been spared them for a while.
- Token of Darkness – Cooper Blake has everything going for him—until he wakes from a car accident with his football career in ruins and a mysterious, attractive girl by his side. Cooper doesn’t know how Samantha got there or why he can see her; all he knows is that she’s a ghost, and the shadows that surround her seem intent on destroying her.
- Empire of Dirt (Short Story) – featured in the anthology 666: The Number Of The Beast.
- All Just Glass – Sarah Vida has given up everything for love. From a legendary family of vampire-hunting witches, Sarah was raised to never trust a vampire, to never let her guard down, and to avoid all tricky attachments of the heart. But now Sarah IS a vampire—changed by the boy she thought she loved. Her family has forsaken her, and Sarah herself is disgusted by her appetite for blood.
- Poison Tree – The rich stew of the author’s creations—SingleEarth, vampires, shapeshifters, Tristes, the Bruja Guilds—are at full boil here in the story of two 20-ish young women trying to out run their very different pasts, and figure out where they fit in and who they might become. Each has landed in a more “normal” place, and each wonders if, like a tattoo that can’t be covered up, they can ever really fit into “normal.”
- Promises to Keep – It all begins with a wrong turn and a crashed party, and from there it’s an epic clash of elements and the promise of more chaos still to come. At the center of the storm is Jay, a young vampire hunter that no one would ever have predicted might be earth’s best bet to thwart the rise of a vampire-controlled slave empire called Midnight. Teens will find themselves drawn to Jay, who struggles to prove his worth even while he has his own fears that those who have written him off may be right to do so.
The Maeve’ra Trilogy
The Maeve’ra Trilogy is a trilogy of novels that takes place before the events of Midnight Predator.
- Bloodwitch – Vampires are the only guardians Vance Ehecatl has ever known since he was abandoned by his shapeshifter family. He is grateful to them for generously providing for all of his needs and for offering him a home in the powerful empire of Midnight. But when an act of violence forces Vance from his sheltered life, he’s startled to meet Malachi Obsidian, a fellow shapeshifter with conflicting ideas about Midnight and its leader, Mistress Jeshickah.
- “The Rebel” (Short Story) – In this prequel to Bloodkin, sixteen-year-old Kadee is haunted by the memories she has fought so long to keep bottled up inside.
- Bloodkin – Sixteen-year-old Kadee is proud to be a part of the Obsidian guild. She knows firsthand what it’s like to live with the Shantel and serpiente, and she’ll never forgive these shapeshifters for taking her from her real father as a sick and frightened human child. Fortunately, Kadee is the master of her own life and decisions now, but some of the choices she’s made to protect her Obsidian family have begun to haunt her.
- “The Prophet” (Short Story) – Narrated by Malachi, one of the powerful leaders of the Obsidian guild, readers will learn all about his past and the events that lead Malachi to the actions and decisions he makes when we meet him in Bloodwitch and Bloodkin.
- Bloodtraitor – Malachi Obsidian has been his guild’s prophet ever since he was a child. Years ago, he envisioned a future in which his sister, Misha, ruled and the vampires’ empire was destroyed. His people have made many questionable decisions to keep their dream alive, and now Misha is finally on the verge of becoming queen of the serpiente, just as Malachi predicted.
What should you read if you like Den of Shadows novels?
If you like reading the Den of Shadows series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, you may also want to check out Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost, or the Alpha and Omega series written by Patricia C. Briggs.
Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.