Dav Pilkey is an American cartoonist, author, and illustrator of children’s literature from Cleveland, Ohio. He started creating characters like “Captain Underpants” in elementary school. He grew up, but the characters stayed with him, but his first book, World War Won, was an allegorical fable inspired by the nuclear arms race. Captain Underpants is a superhero from a boy’s homemade comic book who accidentally becomes real.
After that, he illustrated books from other authors as well as his own and quickly launched the Dragon Series, then the Dumb Bunnies. He started the Captain Underpants series in 1997. The first book series became a hit with children across America. Later, Pilkey created more series like The Dog Man Series about Officer Knight and his police dog Greg.
How to read the Dav Pilkey’s Books in Order?
The Dog Man Series in Order
The story of Dog Man began when, in an explosion by a bomb assembled by Petey the evil cat, Officer Knight and his police dog Greg got seriously injured. To save them, the doctors put Greg’s head on Knight’s body. That’s how he became Dog Man. Now, part canine, part human, he fights crime and his nemesis, Petey. For more information, go to our reading guide for the Dog Man series.
- Dog Man (2016)
- Dog Man Unleashed (2016)
- Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties (2017)
- Dog Man and Cat Kid (2017)
- Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas (2018)
- Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild (2018)
- Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls (2019)
- Dog Man: Fetch-22 (2019)
- Grime and Punishment (2020)
- Mothering Heights (2021)
- Twenty Thousand Fleas Under the Sea (2023)
The Cat Kid Comic Club
Spin-off series of Dog Man series where Lil Petey and Molly start a club where he teaches 21 baby frogs how to make comic books.
- Cat Kid Comic Club (2020)
- Cat Kid Comic Club: Perspectives (2021)
- Cat Kid Comic Club: On Purpose (2022)
- Cat Kid Comic Club: Collaborations (2022)
- Cat Kid Comic Club: Influencers (2023)
The Captain Underpants Series
Captain Underpants is a superhero like no other. This is the story of two fourth graders from Piqua, Ohio, named George Beard and Harold Hutchins, and of Captain Underpants, a superhero from one of the boys’ homemade comic books, who accidentally becomes real when George and Harold hypnotize their ill-tempered principal, Mr. Krupp. For more information, go to our guide to the Captain Underpants series.
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants (1997)
- Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (1999)
- Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space (and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally-Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds) (1999)
- Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (2000)
- Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman (2001)
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (2003)
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: The Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (2003)
- Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People (2006)
- Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers (2012)
- Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (2013)
- Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000 (2014)
- Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinks-A-Lot (2015)
The Captain Underpants spin-offs
- The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby (2002)
- The Adventures of Ook and Gluk: Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future (2010)
- Super Diaper Baby 2: The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers (2011)
The Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot Series
Ricky Ricotta is a mouse who, in each book, with the help of his mighty robot, saves the world from an evil villain – an alien creature from a different planet in order from closest-to-sun to farthest-from-sun including Earth. The books are illustrated by Martin Ontiveros (only for the first seven) and Dan Santat (all of them).
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot (2000)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (2000)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (2001)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (2002)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Jurassic Jackrabbits from Jupiter (2002)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Stupid Stinkbugs from Saturn (2003)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Uranium Unicorns from Uranus (2005)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Naughty Night Crawlers from Neptune (2016)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Un-Pleasant Penguins from Pluto (2016)
- Bonus: Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot Astro-Activity Book o’ Fun (2000)
The Big Dog & Little Dog Series
Big Dog is ready for some fun. Little Dog is ready, too. With simple text, graphic illustrations, and tongue-in-cheek humor, Dav Pilkey taps into the joys of childhood friendships through his tales of two lovable dog pals.
- Big Dog and Little Dog Getting in Trouble (1997)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Wearing Sweaters (1998)
- Big Dog and Little Dog Making a Mistake (1979)
The Dumb Bunnies Series
Meet the Dumb Bunnies. They eat lunch in a carwash. They go bowling in a library. And they ice-skate on the bottom of a lake. Everything the dumb bunnies do is REALLY dumb – but lots of fun.
- The Dumb Bunnies (1994)
- The Dumb Bunnies’ Easter (1995)
- Make Way for Dumb Bunnies (1996)
- The Dumb Bunnies Go to the Zoo (1997)
The Dragon Series
Lonely Dragon has made a friend, and he loves spending time with his new buddy! He enjoys telling scary stories, cracking funny jokes, and fixing a midnight snack for them to share.
This series is part of Scholastic’s early reader line, Acorn, aimed at children who are learning to read. With easy-to-read text, a short-story format, plenty of humor, and full-color artwork on every page!
- A Friend For Dragon (1991)
- Dragon’s Fat Cat (1992)
- Dragon Gets By (1991)
- Dragon’s Halloween (1993)
- Dragon’s Merry Christmas (1991)
Other books by Dav Pilkey
- World War Won (1987) – Two kings, a fox, and a raccoon become embroiled in a race to build the highest stockpile of weapons until a strong wind threatens to topple the piles and makes them both fearful of the consequences.
- ‘Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving (1990) – On the day before Thanksgiving, a group of children visit a turkey farm and meet Farmer Mack Nuggett and his coop of cockerels: Ollie, Stanley, Larry, Moe, Wally, Beaver, Shemp, and Groucho. The children and turkeys giggle and gobble, and everything is gravy. As the trip comes to an end, the children leave the farm with full hearts — and bulging bellies — reminding people and poultry alike that there is much to be thankful for.
- Kat Kong (1993) – Doctor Varmint and his beautiful assistant, Rosie Rodent, have made–and captured–a stunning scientific discovery: the mighty Kat Kong. But when he breaks free from his shackles and tears through the streets of Mousopolis, there’s no stopping his terrifying rampage. Is anyone clever enough to halt this massive meowing menace?
- Dogzilla (1993) – It’s time for Mousopolis’s First Annual Barbecue Cook-Off. But just when the fun is about to begin, the irresistible aroma of barbecue sauce awakens the most frightening creature known to mousekind: the dreaded Dogzilla. As her horrible doggy breath fills the streets, the residents of Mousopolis must run for their lives. Can they get rid of that big stinky dog before it’s too late?
- Dog Breath!: The Horrible Trouble With Hally Tosis (1994) – Hally Tosis is a great family dog, but there is one rotten thing about her: her breath! It is so smelly, Hally’s pet parents want to find a new home for her. The children, desperate to keep their beloved pet, try everything to rid Hally of her stinky stench.
- The Moonglow Roll-O-Rama (1995) – At night when the light of the moon is aglow, animals skate at a magical roller rink
- The Hallo-Wiener (1995) – Oscar is a little dog with a big problem — he gets more tricks than treats because other dogs tease him all the time. But one brave act on Halloween makes Oscar a Grade-A hero, proving that a little wiener can be a real winner!
- When Cats Dream (1996) – When cats dream, they can do anything they want, from combing their hair with the moon to swinging from vines in the jungle
- God Bless the Gargoyles (1996) – Behind their cold, stone faces, gargoyles have warm, loving souls — yet most people don’t look deeply enough to notice. Angels can see the good inside them, though, and tonight the angels will sweep down to take their silent, stone friends on a magical journey, hand in hand.
- The Paperboy (1996) – In the still before dawn, while the rest of the world is sleeping, a boy and his dog leave the comfort of their warm bed to deliver newspapers. As the boy pedals his bike along a route he knows by heart, his dog runs by his side, both enjoying a world that, before sunrise, belongs only to them.
- The Silly Gooses (1998) – The adventures of a family of very silly geese who fly south for the winter–in June–via a hot-air balloon.
- Comics Squad: Recess! (2014) – An anthology. A bust-your-gut-laughing graphic-novel anthology with original contributions from the most beloved names in the genre!
- Guys Read: Terrifying Tales (2015) – An anthology. Be afraid, be very afraid of Terrifying Tales, the sixth volume in the Guys Read Library of Great Reading.
Only as Illustrator
- Don’t Pop Your Cork on Mondays (1988)
- The Place Nobody Stopped (1991)
- Julius (1993)
- One Today (2015)
If you like our article about reading the Dav Pilkey Books in order, don’t forget to bookmark it!.