Magical Investigations in London.
What is the Crow Investigations series about?
The Crow Investigations series is urban fantasy mystery series written by the bestselling author of magical fiction, Sarah Painter.
The story focuses on Lydia Crow, a private investigator who came back to London in order to help her family and ends up neck-deep in magical mysteries next to DCI Fleet.
And for more paranormal mysteries in the streets of London, take a look at the Rivers of London series.
How to read the Crow Investigations’ Books In Order?
Every book in the Crow Investigations series works as a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one novel to the other.
- The Night Raven – Lydia Crow has always known she has no power, especially next to her infamous and more-than-slightly dodgy family. Which is why she carved her own life as a private investigator far away from London. When a professional snafu forces her home, the head of the family calls in a favor, and Lydia finds herself investigating the disappearance of her cousin, Maddie. Soon, Lydia is neck-deep in problems: her new flatmate is a homicidal ghost, the intriguing, but forbidden, DCI Fleet is acting in a distinctly unprofessional manner, and tensions between the old magical families are rising.
- The Silver Mark – Driven by her desire to improve her fledgling P.I. skills and an innate sense of justice, Lydia investigates. Even when it seems as if the Silver Family might be involved, Lydia refuses to back down. The Silver Family, who run the finest law firm in London, have a gift for persuasion. In the Bad Old Days it was said they could make a man jump off a roof by convincing him he could fly. But that’s all in the past… Isn’t it?
- The Fox’s Curse – Lydia Crow has long suspected there is more beneath London than just trains, but has never been keen to poke around in the dark. But when Paul Fox, powerful member of the Fox Family, blackmails her into taking a case, she has no choice. Investigating a suspicious death in a disused tunnel of the London Underground for her ex-boyfriend causes friction between her and DCI Fleet – and not the fun kind.
- The Pearl King – Lydia is pulled into the Crow Family business by her shady Uncle Charlie. He has decided that Lydia needs to learn the truth about her infamous Family and to step into her role within it – whether she likes it or not. After Lydia’s wrongful arrest, her relationship with DCI Fleet is decidedly rocky, but when a teenage girl goes missing from Highgate Woods she must put aside her emotions and work the case.
- The Copper Heart – Lydia has taken over as the leader of the Crow Family and is trying to keep the criminality to the bare minimum. DCI Fleet has told her he is ‘all in’ but there have to be limits and Lydia doesn’t want to find out what they are. When the head of the Silver Family, Alejandro, drops down dead, Lydia needs to work out whether it was natural causes or murder. And fast.
- The Shadow Wing – After the explosive events of The Copper Heart, Lydia must deal with a secret service operative with murder in his heart. The mysterious Mr Smith has sent a professional assassin after Lydia and the bonds of blood are stretched to breaking point when it turns out to be someone very close to home. Meanwhile, the head of the powerful Silver Family is demanding a favor and Lydia must comply or risk their fledgling alliance.
- The Broken Cage – A man dies in a locked room, leaving a message written in blood and a lot of unanswered questions. Lydia is still recovering from the fallout with her psychopathic cousin, but there are new threats to the Crows, and she must fight to maintain her position as leader of the Family. Meanwhile, an actor has gone missing and Fleet is under pressure to find him fast. But there seems to be more to his tension than he is letting on…
- The Magpie Key – A new threat has sailed in on the tide and is haunting the waterways of London. DCI Fleet is struggling to control his gift and can no longer tell reality from illusion. Meanwhile, Uncle Charlie is making trouble from his prison cell, proving how hard it is to keep a Crow caged. Worst of all, the truce between London’s four magical Families lies in ruins. If Lydia can’t rebuild it, and fast, all will be lost.
If you like our article about the Crow Investigations series in order, don’t forget to bookmark it!