All of Cressida Cowell’s Books in Order!
Who is Cressida Cowell?
When she was a child, Cressida Cowell spent her summers on an uninhabited Scottish Island. There, she imagined the caves and ruined crofts were full of dragons. It leads her to write How to Train Your Dragon, the book series which spawned a film franchise.
Born in 1966, Cressida Cowell studied English at Keble College, Oxford, and learned illustration at Saint Martin’s School of Art and Brighton University. She published her first book in 1998, the story of Little Bo Peep who has lost her sheep but made her name with the bestselling How to Train Your Dragon series. She has sold more than 11 million books in 38 languages and has been the children’s laureate since 2019.
How to read Cressida Cowell’s Books in Order?
How to Train Your Dragon Series
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III was a truly extraordinary Viking Hero. Warrior chieftain, awesome sword-fighter and amateur naturalist, he was known throughout Vikingdom as ‘the Dragon Whisperer’, on account of his amazing power over these terrifying beasts.
But it wasn’t always like that. In fact, in the beginning, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III was the most put-upon Viking you’d ever seen. Not loud enough to make himself heard at dinner with his father, Stoick the Vast; not hard enough to beat his chief rival, Snotlout, at Bashyball, the number one school sport, and CERTAINLY not stupid enough to go into a cave full of dragons to find a pet…
For more details, go to the How to Train Your Dragon reading order.
- Hiccup: The Viking Who Was Seasick (1999)
- How to Train Your Dragon (2001)
- How to Be a Pirate (2004)
- How to Speak Dragonese (2005)
- How to Cheat a Dragon’s Curse (2006)
- How to Train Your Viking, by Toothless the Dragon
- How to Twist a Dragon’s Tale (2007)
- The Day of the Dreader
- A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons (2007)
- How to Ride a Dragon’s Storm (2008)
- How to Break a Dragon’s Heart (2009)
- How to Steal a Dragon’s Sword (2011)
- How to Seize a Dragon’s Jewel (2012)
- How to Betray a Dragon’s Hero (2013)
- How to Fight a Dragon’s Fury (2015)
- The Incomplete Book of Dragons (2014) – aka The Complete book of Dragons.
The Wizards of Once Series
- The Wizards of Once (2017) – Once there was Magic, and the Magic lived in the dark forests. Until the Warriors came… Xar is a Wizard boy who has no Magic, and will do anything to get it. Wish is a Warrior girl, but she owns a banned Magical Object, and she will do anything to conceal it. In this whirlwind adventure, Xar and Wish must forget their differences if they’re going to make it to the dungeons at Warrior Fort. Where something that has been sleeping for hundreds of years is stirring…
- Twice Magic (2018) – Witches are creating havoc in the Wildwoods and danger lurks behind every tree trunk. Wish is in possession of a powerful, Magic Spelling Book; Xar has a dangerous Witchstain on his hand. Together they can save the Wildwoods from the curse of the Witches but they are separated by the highest wall imaginable, and time is running out …
- Knock Three Times (2019) – Wish and Xar are outlaws on the run, hunted by Warriors, Wizards and worst of all by WITCHES … Can they find the ingredients for the spell to get rid of Witches before the Kingwitch gets his talons on the Magic-that-Works-on-Iron?
- Never and Forever (2020) – Xar and Wish have found the ingredients for the Spell-to-get-rid-of-Witches. Now the Kingwitch is calling them to the lake of the lost. But first they must mix the potion in the Cup of Second Chances …
Which Way to Anywhere Series
K2 O’Hero is a seemingly ordinary boy-after all, he and his twin sister, Izzabird, have been sworn to keep their family’s Magical history a secret. Not even their infuriating stepsiblings, Theo and Mabel, know that Magic exists. They believe K2 to be the most hopeless person they have ever known.
- Which Way to Anywhere (2022) – K2 has a secret gift: He draws maps of worlds that are beyond the wildest imaginations. Worlds with six hundred moons, burning rivers, and dark, twisty jungles alive with plants that hunt by the smell of fear. But what K2 doesn’t know is that the maps he draws are real. When their baby sister, Annipeck, is kidnapped, the warring stepsiblings will have to use K2’s gift to find a crossing point into one of those worlds and embark on a daring rescue mission.
- Which Way Round the Galaxy (2023) – A Magical Creature lost far from home leads the four O’Hero-Smith children on another adventure through the Which Ways and across the galaxies; their plan is to get ‘Grub’ back to the ice-encrusted planet where he belongs, and to prove to their parents that they can be trusted with magic along the way! But by setting off on this secret mission, they’re heading straight into danger. Not to mention they’ve accidentally left Annipeck on her own. Again. Can the kids get Grub home safely, escape venomous snow sharks, a witch’s curse and an army of murderous robots to find their way back through the WHICH WAYS to protect her?
Emily Brown Series (Picture Books)
- That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown (2006) – When the Queen steals Emily Brown’s favourite toy and erstwhile companion, a toy rabbit called Stanley, Emily sets out to get him back and teach that naughty queen a valuable lesson!
- Emily Brown and the Thing (2007) – Emily Brown and her rabbit, Stanley, are trying to sleep. But a Splish-Splosh noise is keeping them awake… It’s a Thing! And this Thing just won’t go to sleep. Emily Brown and Rabbit try everything, but nothing works. Just what could be the matter?
- Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency (2009) – Emily Brown, Stanley the bunny and Matilda the elephant are busy going on adventures, but every time they get to a particularly exciting part . . . Ring! Ring! goes the Emergency Telephone and it’s Matilda’s mummy on the end worrying that Matilda isn’t wearing her wellies, or eating properly or almost anything. How can Emily Brown persuade her that sometimes adventures are good?
- Cheer Up Your Teddy Bear, Emily Brown (2011) – Emily Brown and her side-kick rabbit, Stanley, are back and this time they’re on a mission to cheer up one very unhappy teddy bear. But, no matter what they try, the teddy bear is STILL miserable. Emily Brown has had ENOUGH!
- Emily Brown and Father Christmas (2018) – It’s Christmas Eve, and who’s that outside the window? It’s Father Christmas! In his shiny new turbo-charged sleigh, complete with sat-nav. But things aren’t going quite to plan… Can Emily Brown and Stanley save the day? They’ll just need some emergency reindeer, a star map and … MAGIC!
Other Picture Books
- Little Bo Peep (1998) – Poor Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep and cannot find them, but luckily her book-loving friend, Little Boy Blue, suggests that she find just the book she needs at the library, along with a cookbook by a wolf chef and much more.
- Don’t Do That Kitty Kilroy (1999) – “Don’t do that, Kitty Kilroy ” That is what Kitty hears her mother say all day long. When Kitty puts her feet on the couch. When she eats candy. When she makes a mess. Then one day her mother lets Kitty do anything she wants — and Kitty discovers that eating nothing but cold cereal and ice cream and watching television all day is not as much fun as she thought it would be….
- What Shall We Do with the Boo-hoo Baby? (2000) – What shall we do with boo-hoo baby? Ask Cat, Dog, Cow and Duck. They try feeding him, bathing him and playing with him, but nothing seems to work. Will they ever get the boo-hoo baby to go to sleep?
- One Too Many Tigers (2001) – There is one too many a tiger in the Tiger Tree. One was Tootle and Tootle was a tiger who lived quite happily in the Tiger Tree with tigers two and three – mum and dad. Until Titbit, tiger number four arrives and suddenly the Tiger Tree is much too crowded.
- Claydon Was a Clingy Child (2001) – Claydon goes everywhere with his mother: sky-diving, skateboarding, skiing and more. He thinks it is safer but one day he decides that maybe – just maybe – life might be better not clinging to his mother’s leg.
- Super Sue (2003) – Pull the super tabs and lift the super flaps in this rhyming story to see Super Sue slurping her spaghetti, climbing up the stairs, washing between her toes and lots more! Can you do what Sue can do? Then maybe you are super too!
- Super Sue at Super School (2003) – Super Sue is back, a little older, a little wiser – and going to school! She may be a bit shy at first, but let’s not forget that Sue is pretty super, and before long, she has bravely waved goodbye to Mum, played on the big slide and made a new friend.
- There’s No Such Thing as a Ghostie (2004) – The Queen has finished her royal tea and it’s two more hours till bedtime so she suggests a hunt for ghosties. She and Peter-the-Page are the only ones who believe they exist as they all race through the Royal Palace looking for them.
- Daddy on the Moon (2005) – Sam`s daddy is working far away from home, and won`t be back till the morning. Luckily, that night a friendly digger taps on Sam`s window. It`s the start of an amazing adventure which takes Sam by rescue helicopter and space rocket to find his daddy… up on the moon! Is it a dream? Or is it a dream come true?
- The Story of Tantrum O’Furrily (2018) – Tantrum O’Furrily’s kittens are hungry and doubt that a story can ease a stray cat’s rumbling stomach. They soon learn that stories are powerful, and that if you’re courageous you might find a saucer of milk at the end of that story.