Teenagers and spies for Queen & Country!
What is the CHERUB series about?
Coming from British author Robert Muchamore, CHERUB is a popular series of teenage spy novels about a fictional division of the British Security Service called… CHERUB.
CHERUB agents are aged between ten and seventeen. They live in the real world, slipping under adult radar and getting information that sends criminals and terrorists to jail.
The first CHERUB series mainly follows James Choke, aka James Adams, as he enters the organization and goes on missions-after a while, other agents are put in focus. The second series-subtitled “Aramov”-follows Ryan Sharma, another CHERUB agent.
How to read the CHERUB Books in Order?
I. The CHERUB Series
- The Recruit – James is the latest CHERUB recruit. He’s a bit of a troublemaker, but he’s also brilliant. And CHERUB needs him. James has no idea what to expect, but he’s out of options. Before he can start in the field he must first survive one hundred grueling days of basic training, where even the toughest recruits don’t make it to the end…
- The Dealer (aka Class A) – James is on his most daring mission yet: to smack down the world’s most powerful drug lord. It means hitting the streets, where the dealers work. It’s a vicious business. But James is going to take it down…from the top.
- Maximum Security – James’s newest mission brings him to the sun-baked desert prison Arizona Max, home to 280 child criminals. One of them is the son of a weapons dealer who has been selling U.S. missiles to terrorists. If James can get the kid, CHERUB has a chance to stop the father. Getting into the prison is easy. Breaking out is the hard part.
- The Killing – James is assigned to what looks like a routine mission. Leon is a small-time crook with big money. James’s job is to make nice with Leon’s kids, dig up some leads, and infiltrate his home. But when James suddenly unravels a much larger plot, the mission becomes anything but ordinary. Unfortunately, the only person who might know the truth is a reclusive eighteen-year-old boy-who happens to have died more than a year ago.
- Divine Madness – CHERUB uncovers a link between ecoterrorist group Help Earth and a wealthy religious cult known as The Survivors. James is sent to their isolated outback headquarters on an infiltration mission. It’s a thousand kilometers to the closest town, and James is under massive pressure from the cult’s brainwashing techniques. This time he’s not just fighting terrorists. He has to battle for his own mind.
- Man vs Beast – CHERUB agents find themselves in an ethical crisis. Mainstream animal protection groups have always stayed within the law, but a new band of radical liberationists argues that if humans and animals are equal, then it’s right to kill or threaten one human in order to save the lives of many animals. In a new mission, James and the other CHERUB agents must go up against the most radical group yet in a daring and violent attempt to save hundreds of lives…including their own.
- The Fall – When an MI5 operation goes disastrously wrong, James needs all of his skills to get out of Russia alive. Meanwhile, Lauren is on her first solo mission, trying to uncover a brutal human trafficking operation. And when James does get home, he finds that his nightmare is just beginning…
- Mad Dogs – The British underworld is controlled by gangs. When two of them start a turf war, violence explodes onto the streets. The police need information fast, and James Adams has the contacts to infiltrate the most dangerous gang of all.
- The Sleepwalker – A commercial plane explodes over the Atlantic Ocean leaving 345 people dead. Crash investigators suspect terrorism, but they aren’t getting anywhere. But when a distressed twelve-year-old calls a police hotline and blames his father for the explosion, James Adams and his sister Lauren are assigned to befriend the boy to find out the shocking truth…
- Dark Sun (novella) – Who would believe that a kid at a sleepover could be a spy? CHERUB: Dark Sun is a short novel aimed at new readers to CHERUB, originally written for World Book Day and now made available in print again by popular demand! To go with it are three stories never before seen in print: The Switch, CHERUB at Christmas and Kerry’s First Mission.
- The General – James and Lauren travel to America to help train the army. And while they’re there, they get into a little trouble in Las Vegas. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas…right?
- Brigands M.C. – Dante Scott still has nightmares about the death of his family, brutally murdered by a biker gang. Then he is given the chance to become a member of CHERUB, and when he joins James and Lauren on a mission to infiltrate Brigands Motorcycle Club, he’s ready to use everything he’s learned to exact revenge on the people who killed his family.
- Shadow Wave – After a tsunami causes massive devastation to a tropical island, its governor sends in the bulldozers to knock down villages, replacing them with luxury hotels. Guarding the corrupt governor’s family isn’t James Adams’s idea of the perfect mission, especially as it’s going to be his last as a CHERUB agent. And then retired colleague Kyle Blueman comes up with an unofficial and highly dangerous plan of his own. James must choose between loyalty to CHERUB, and loyalty to his oldest friend.
II. The CHERUB 2: Aramov Series
- People’s Republic – Twelve-year-old Ryan is CHERUB’s newest recruit. He’s got his first mission: infiltrating the billion-dollar Aramov criminal empire. But he’s got no idea that this routine job will lead him into an explosive adventure involving drug smugglers, illegal immigrants, and human trafficking, or that his first mission will turn into one of the biggest in CHERUB’s history.
- Guardian Angel – Ryan has saved Ethan’s life more than once. Ethan thinks he must be a guardian angel. But Ryan works for CHERUB, a secret organization with one key advantage: even experienced criminals never suspect that children are spying on them. Ethan’s family runs a billion-dollar criminal empire and Ryan’s job is to destroy it. Can Ryan complete his mission without destroying Ethan as well?
- Black Friday – Ryan is about to board a plane, knowing that the next twenty-four hours will change everything. His mission is to stop the biggest terrorist attack America’s ever seen. Ryan works for CHERUB, a secret organisation with one key advantage: even a trained terrorist won’t suspect that a teenager is spying on them.
- Lone Wolf – Fay has spent eighteen months locked up in a Secure Training Centre. Drug deals and rip-offs are the only things this teenager knows. Now she’s back on the street, looking to settle old scores. CHERUB agents Ryan and Ning need Fay’s knowledge to unearth a major drug importer. They’re trained professionals with one essential advantage: even experienced criminals never suspect that children are spying on them. But Fay’s made a lot of enemies and she’s running out of time …
- New Guard – Ryan Sharma is investigating a double kidnapping, working with mission controller and old guard, James Adams. In the mission to end all missions, Ryan and James must assemble a team of legendary CHERUB agents to find the hostages and bring them home …
III. The Henderson’s Boys series
The Prequel Series. Set during the Second World War, this is the story of Charles Henderson and the first CHERUB agents.
- The Escape – Summer, 1940. Hitler’s army is advancing towards Paris, and millions of French civilians are on the run. Amidst the chaos, two British children are being hunted by German agents. British spy Charles Henderson tries to reach them first, but he can only do it with the help of a twelve-year-old French orphan. The British secret service is about to discover that kids working undercover will help to win the war…
- Eagle Day – Late summer, 1940. Hitler has conquered France. Now he intends to cross the Channel and defeat Britain before winter arrives. A group of young refugees led by British spy Charles Henderson faces a stark choice. To head south into the safety of neutral Spain, or go north on a risky mission to sabotage the German invasion plans.
- Secret Army – Britain, 1941. The government is building a secret army of intelligence agents to work undercover, gathering information and planning sabotage operations. Henderson’s boys are part of that network: kids cut adrift by the war, training for the fight of their lives. They’ll have to parachute into unknown territory, travel cross-country and outsmart a bunch of adults in a daredevil exercise.
- Grey Wolves – Spring, 1941. German submarines are prowling the North Atlantic, sinking ships filled with the food, fuel, and weapons that Britain needs to survive. With the Royal Navy losing the war at sea, six young agents must sneak into Nazi-occupied Europe and sabotage a submarine base on France’s western coast. If the submarines aren’t stopped, the British people will starve.
- The Prisoner – One of Henderson’s best agents is being held captive in Frankfurt. A set of forged record cards could be his ticket to freedom, but might just as easily become his death warrant. A vital mission awaits him in France – if he can find a way to escape.
- One Shot Kill – Spring, 1943. The war is turning against Germany, but Hitler isn’t giving up. In a secret bunker deep in occupied France, scientists are hard at work on Hitler’s latest deadly weapon: code name FZG-76.
- Scorched Earth – As Allied soldiers prepare to land in France, Marc and his friends must destroy a battalion of German tanks that could halt the invasion in its tracks. The tide of war has turned against the Nazis, but desperation has made them more brutal than ever. Henderson’s Boys’ final mission will be their most dangerous. With food and weapons in short supply, survival is the biggest challenge of all.